Pokémon Invade 19th-Century Wilderness

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Pokémon Invade 19th-Century Wilderness

[gallery=469]
A DeviantArtist envisions how a Victorian explorer might have catalogued wild Pokémon.

When the British Empire was at its height, explorers documented the most remote parts of the world, from the steppes of central Asia to the jungles of Africa. Even a young Charles Darwin took a voyage of discovery to South America aboard the HMS Beagle. Now, thanks to artist Michael Casteel, we can have a glimpse [http://casteelart.deviantart.com/gallery/29815058] of what these adventurous men might have made of an organism they never encountered: the elusive Pokémon.

From the faded parchment to the gentlemanly script, Casteel really nailed the Victorian feel. In a series of 24 images, he describes the adventures of fictional Professor Baobab (a type of tree native to East Africa and Australia) as he traverses a foreign wilderness and documents the Pokémon he finds there. The intrepid professor encounters species like the dual-headed Girafarig and the arboreal Victreebell, and proceeds to document their behavior, ecological niches, and skeletal structures.

Re-envisioning classic game characters in a new environment is a favorite pastime of the internet, and these particular examples are well worth checking out. Perhaps Professor Baobab's adventures will continue until he finally documents the rare and sought-after Pikachu.

Source: Kotaku [http://casteelart.deviantart.com/gallery/29815058]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I could have sworn this guy was reported on a few weeks ago, hell I remember following him after reading a very similar article about his work!

Either way, I love this guy's stuff. Ah, the 19th century...a time when Tracy was considered not only awesome but practical as well.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Nice, I love these... except us lowly users were way ahead of you on this one ;-)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.308142-19th-Century-Pokemon-Pokedex

dosp5

May 14, 2011
I really enjoyed reading all of the details that were put into each report.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
Nice, I love these... except us lowly users were way ahead of you on this one ;-)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.308142-19th-Century-Pokemon-Pokedex
Recognition!

I got ninja'd. I was gonna post my thread.

Shoggoth2588 said:
I could have sworn this guy was reported on a few weeks ago, hell I remember following him after reading a very similar article about his work!

Either way, I love this guy's stuff. Ah, the 19th century...a time when Tracy was considered not only awesome but practical as well.
I'm going to take a guess and say you saw it in the above mentioned thread.

Ryengu

May 22, 2011
Does it seem to anyone else like they're mostly traced from photos and recolored with the necessary embellishments? :S

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
It was cool to see Victreebell but what the hell were all of those others? lol

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Well there is only a single one i know out of these. so my fun was limited, but the work is great nevertheless.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
*snif* They're beautiful...

I wish I could do stuff like this.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
wow, that is just made of pure awesome. i would love to see the study on a charlizard...er charizard.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Ryengu said:
Does it seem to anyone else like they're mostly traced from photos and recolored with the necessary embellishments? :S
Eh, not really, and not after seeing the rest of the pictures.

I realy like that all five generations get some representation here.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Darwin meets Pokemon. Man, that's awesome. Well, except for the obvious misuse of the term "evolution", but other than that... just... awesome.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Oh wow, that is so damn amazing.
ThunderCavalier said:
Pokemon in an alternate Victorian Steampunk timeline.

I would pick up Pokemon again if they did that.
That is such a great idea. I would too.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I think when he's finished he should publish it as a book.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.