Poke? The hell's a "poke", exactly? (On Facebook, I mean.)

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Search bar approved, and by that I mean I put "Facebook + poke" into the search and it conniption'd like "don't make me search for that, please."
Someone who's a little more plugged in than I am please clue me in to what the hell a poke is supposed to accomplish on Facebook?

Because a girl I thought I'd successfully managed to get rid of (you may know her as the subject of my hilarious "When Uninteresting Women ATTACK!" series---she was the girl in episode 2) just "poked" me on Facebook, leading me to wonder what the hell she's trying to accomplish exactly.

I shouldn't be surprised, though---this girl's proven harder to shake than a case of genital herpes.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
THE AUSTIN has poked SIMULORD
Poke THE AUSTIN back!

You mean that thing? It's just a random feature on Facebook to let people know "Hey, I'm thinking about you, just not enough to post 'hi' on your wall!"

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
The Austin said:
You mean that thing? It's just a random feature on Facebook to let people know "Hey, I'm thinking about you, just not enough to pot 'hi' on your wall!"
I see it more as a passive-aggressive "I'd like to talk to you but I don't want to be the one responsible for keeping the conversation going."

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Dags90 said:
The Austin said:
You mean that thing? It's just a random feature on Facebook to let people know "Hey, I'm thinking about you, just not enough to post 'hi' on your wall!"
I see it more as a passive-aggressive "I'd like to talk to you but I don't want to be the one responsible for keeping the conversation going."
Yeah, pretty much. It's a way of saying that you're interested, but not really.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
I dunno, but it can lead to some interesting battles. Me and a friend of mine started a Poke War back in November last year and it's still going strong.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I forgot it was still on there. When facebook started, it was just a quaint little game people played. I poke, you poke, we see each other later and say something like ,"Hey, you better watch where you're pokin' lady. You might hit a sensitive spot". And then you laugh, walk to class together, go on a date, get married, have 2.5 kids and live happily until one of you die.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The Austin said:
Dags90 said:
The Austin said:
Sounds like her standard operating procedure. I could play games with her heart, but I don't feel like being that evil.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I've gotten into a couple poke wars on Facebook... about 60 pokes on one friend, about 800 on the other.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
SimuLord said:
The Austin said:
Dags90 said:
The Austin said:
Sounds like her standard operating procedure. I could play games with her heart, but I don't feel like being that evil.
Or, better yet, poke her back. Relentlessly.
Fill her page with the red-hot sting of one thousand in-genuine pokes, and she will know the wrath that is SimuLord!

Or you could, you know, ignore her.

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
A mechanism to make a joke by Alec Baldwin.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/149655/saturday-night-live-grady-wilson

"Ah poke you. Ah pokeyouahpokeyouahpokeyou"

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
POKE! POKE! POKE! POKE! HEY! HEY! POKE! POKE! HEY!

Hells if I know. Guess its just a way to say "Hey" without actually sending anything. It seems pretty stupid now that I think about it. It was probably meant as a way to start up a conversation. Or it was just so that you could "poke" somebody on Facebook. Which still seems pretty stupid. Then of course I don't use Facebook, so yeah...

POKE! POKE! POKE!

Just imagine if that's what someone did to you in real life.

POKE! POKE! POKE!

Man, would that be annoying.

*Irony's Acolyte has poked you*

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
smithy_2045 said:
Poke her mon.
While I have no doubt that with the slight application of charm and a modest dose of empty promises I could fuck her clean into next week, the question I have to ask myself is "is it worth it?"

You tell me. She's quite possibly psychotic (in the DSM-IV mental health professional sense of the term), won't leave me alone even when I show absolutely no romantic interest, and strikes me as exactly the sort of person who would leave the disembodied head of a goat in my bed as some kind of love gesture.

So I ask again. Is it safe?