Pokemon Black and White Version 2 Review

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
This game is getting criticized on other sites for being the same as the 1st Black and white. Not that it matters IMO you just use Water on Fire, Fire on Grass and Grass on Water and call it strategy. Sorry but Rock, Paper, Scissors strategy is not hard to master unless you're 12 or touched in the head. Using whatever the other person is weak against isn't hard to figure out.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Heh, yeah, I've stopped playing part 1 at the Elite Four. I'd have to really grind, grind, grind to get powerful enough to defeat them and I'm just not interested right now.
I seriously doubt I'll buy any of these new ones, unless they release a "Grey Edition" with parts 1 and 2 meshed together or something (maybe along the lines that you could go back to the original games' map in Silver and Gold).
Has there ever been a game where you could get all Pokemon on your own, by the way? I have zero interest in trading, conventions or whatever. I'm an old dude by now.

disgruntledgamer said:
Sorry but Rack, Paper, Scissors strategy is not hard to master unless you're 12 or touched in the head.
Hm, a big rack could surely knock me out as well. What Pokemon-type would that make me I wonder?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Of all of the things I'm looking forward to in these games, the music is amongst the top of the list. GameFreak outdid themselves with the music they put together.

Not to mention with the Pokemon World Tournament, you can face off against all of your favorite Gym Leaders and Champions from the past. I am SO looking forward to kicking Cynthia's arse all over the place...again.
Totally agree with that.

----------------------
If I ever reviewed new main franchise Pokemon games, I would never mark off for similarity in formula(Battle system, gym battling to get to the top, parts of story style). The formula is pretty much perfect. All I've ever cared about is new events and things to do, and I can see that B&W2 gives that, plus even new places to go on the same map. The people wanting change and different kinds of games, that is what the Pokemon side franchise games are for.

The only big change lately that Game Freak has made to the main franchise was in the first B&W with TMs now being infinite use, which really was the last needed change for the formula.

Heck, I wouldn't even take off for Game Freak using the same Pokemon sprites from B&W into this sequel, since this isn't a generation changing game, so there really isn't a need to do all the work to change the sprites now, when it will happen with the actual next generation(most likely on the 3DS).

I would most likely give B&W2 a four out of five. One off only because there isn't a new generation wow factor. No reason to take any more off than necessary.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I will still be getting it because god damn I'm a pokemon addict. I have to have all the pokemon games! Have to play and enjoy them all, have to enjoy all the amazing music in the games, all the wonderful and weird and silly pokemon. B&W2 sounds really good. I want it now!

Neoseek

Mar 14, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Of all of the things I'm looking forward to in these games, the music is amongst the top of the list. GameFreak outdid themselves with the music they put together.

Not to mention with the Pokemon World Tournament, you can face off against all of your favorite Gym Leaders and Champions from the past. I am SO looking forward to kicking Cynthia's arse all over the place...again.
I agree, the remixed themes are awesome.

It is a shame they didn't include the e4 from all the gens too.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
You can trade with the 4th gen games as well? o_O not just sending Pokemon over, but actually...Trade?

FUCKING STOKED! finally i can send Pokemon from Gen 4 and send them back if i want to! i have wanted to do that since Gen 3!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sargent Hoofbeat said:
I'll get it, cause god damn, fuck you statistics! You drive me to battle! ...EV and IV *shudder*

But one thing, I want my leading pokemon to follow me around like in heartgold/soulsilver/Yellow

Nintendo; why isn't that a staple of the franchise yet!?!

My Gardevoir should not be confined to a damn pokeball

Neither should my Ponyta
Agreed, even if it is only the starter Pokemon that can follow you, it should be kept that way!

It's one of the main reasons i keep going back to SS.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
disgruntledgamer said:
This game is getting criticized on other sites for being the same as the 1st Black and white. Not that it matters IMO you just use Water on Fire, Fire on Grass and Grass on Water and call it strategy. Sorry but Rack, Paper, Scissors strategy is not hard to master unless you're 12 or touched in the head. Using whatever the other person is weak against isn't hard to figure out.
But that isn't just it, Quilava can learn Wild Charge by TM which is an Electric move, so if you are battling a guy with a Wartortle, and your Quilava is quicker, it can potentially K.O that Wartortle or at least do a lot of damage, where as normally a Quilava wouldn't be any match.

You can confine your Fire types to just fire moves, or your psychic to just psychic moves, but if you do that your missing the point entirely.

It is possible to teach your Pokemon moves to counter it's weakness's and don't forget that, it really isn't as simple as you think.

wyldchyld337

May 24, 2011
I've been playing the Pokemon games starting from Blue, Gold, Sapphire, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, and White. In all those iterations, the core gameplay has changed very little. What has changed is the subtle, behind-the-wall, things such as EVs/IVs and the Meta-gameplay. For the Meta alone am I excited for these new ones as well. All they would need to make this perfect, in my eyes, would be to bring back the Battle Arcade from Heart Gold/Soul Silver (I was a big fan of the Battle Factory and "renting" 'Mons to use for battling).

As an added benefit, I am now 32 and my daughter will be turning 9 in Dec. She learned how to read thanks to playing an old copy of Fire Red that we had around the house. This is yet another reason why any Pokemon game is "serious business" around my house. Having two copies makes it that much easier to "Catch Them All."

--Captcha--
"It's Super Delicious"

TurtleCannon

Mar 6, 2012
I'm not going to get either of them. They look too similar to the first two for my likings. And seeing how I didn't care much for the 5th gen. games much that's no surprise.

Shnazaholic11

Sep 17, 2012
TheKasp said:
disgruntledgamer said:
This game is getting criticized on other sites for being the same as the 1st Black and white. Not that it matters IMO you just use Water on Fire, Fire on Grass and Grass on Water and call it strategy. Sorry but Rack, Paper, Scissors strategy is not hard to master unless you're 12 or touched in the head. Using whatever the other person is weak against isn't hard to figure out.
But you get a strategy when you can choose from a giant roster of Pokes, all with different combinations of types (electro/bug, fire/fight, fire/bug and so on), all with several possible movesets and different stat and EV spreads (aka different speed, attack strength, defensive strength) and items. If you have to build a team of 6 where each one has to hold a purpose and you have to be able to be able to beat all kind of builds you build yourself up a strategy.

There is so much more to this game than just "rock, paper, scissors".
Stopped playing Pokemon after Gen 4 since I felt that repetition bug kick in. But I seriously think that arguments defending the depth to the strategy are bogus, because I got through just fine on Platinum, beating every trainer, the Elite 4, the Champion, and the Battle Frontier with only 6 mons that I slapped together with little thought on strategy and none for EV/IV training, all with damage based moves. And I will say that the effort even then wasn't worth it. Yeah I know there's online battle where that stuff is necessary but what's the point? To beat the part of the game that matters, that "Rock, Paper, Scissors" strategy is all you need. The depth is there, I won't deny it, but it's largely unnecessary for the core game.

Personally, I find the battle system to be dull ,lifeless, and outdated. And there's just no point for me to invest enough time to create "proper" team builds for online battle when there is no foreseeable reward for it. To me, Pokemon is just a pointless grind-feast with anemic personality and charm. There is no point to it and if there is one, I don't see it and it's definitely not worth it.

In other words, I'll be avoiding this one as I did it's predecessor.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
TheKasp said:
disgruntledgamer said:
But you get a strategy when you can choose from a giant roster of Pokes, all with different combinations of types (electro/bug, fire/fight, fire/bug and so on), all with several possible movesets and different stat and EV spreads (aka different speed, attack strength, defensive strength) and items. If you have to build a team of 6 where each one has to hold a purpose and you have to be able to be able to beat all kind of builds you build yourself up a strategy.

Nope sorry you're wrong even when you pick your roster your still using the same Rock, Paper, Scissors strategy, your just hoping yours matches his nicely which is luck, yes you could play it safe and pick a broad roster but it still boils down to using whatever the other person is weak against which is the simplest type of strategy to the point where most wouldn't even consider it strategy.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I wasn't excited for this and pretty much seemes like I was right not to be. Though to be fair I don't liek it because it feels too much like nintendo and gf are just caving in to fan whining that they didn't like the idea of starting fresh. And it feels llike they made it too easily and added unecessary gym leaders.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
arc1991 said:
Sargent Hoofbeat said:
I'll get it, cause god damn, fuck you statistics! You drive me to battle! ...EV and IV *shudder*

But one thing, I want my leading pokemon to follow me around like in heartgold/soulsilver/Yellow

Neither should my Ponyta
Agreed, even if it is only the starter Pokemon that can follow you, it should be kept that way!

... Who the fack wants a samurott following them around everywhere? gen 5 starters suck dick man.

I want my Gardevoir, Rapidash (Twilight) or Zebrastrika (Zecora) to follow me everywhere

Anything less will incur all of my fan boy rage... and based on the fandoms I'm in I apparantly have a lot

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
disgruntledgamer said:
TheKasp said:
disgruntledgamer said:

Nope sorry you're wrong even when you pick your roster your still using the same Rock, Paper, Scissors strategy, your just hoping yours matches his nicely which is luck, yes you could play it safe and pick a broad roster but it still boils down to using whatever the other person is weak against which is the simplest type of strategy to the point where most wouldn't even consider it strategy.
The single player aspect of the game is entirely beatable with "rock paper scissor" strategy. It is easily beatable without any strategy. Go into any sort of competitive environment with that as you're only aim and you're not going to have a good time.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Capitano Segnaposto said:
DustlessDragoon said:
Black and White are still the only generation I haven't finished but I may give it another go with this.
Same, however I just have had a lot of other games to play instead. I need to sit down and beat those last few gym leaders and finish off the Elite Four.
Elite 4 isn't the end in this one >_>.

I mean I guess they basically are, but they aren't.

...is this a spoiler? I want to tag it but it doesn't feel like a spoiler.

Roroshi14 said:
Black and White were the first game that I played competitively. And mastered. So I am so psyched for Black 2! FINALLY I CAN CATCH AN EEVEE AND GROWLITHE!!!! Woo!
Want to be pokemon buddies? :) I'm going to get it when it launches.

Navvan said:
The single player aspect of the game is entirely beatable with "rock paper scissor" strategy. It is easily beatable without any strategy. Go into any sort of competitive environment with that as you're only aim and you're not going to have a good time.
I dunno if you like to do this so if you do just ignore me.

BUT if these kind of people annoy you I would suggest not trying to debate with folks who have an agenda. Their name is literally "disgruntled" and they are being hyperbolic, I'd save your time <.<.

Plenty of valid complaints about Pokemon to be had, if they can't be bothered to pick ANY of them then others shouldn't need to explain it to them.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sargent Hoofbeat said:
arc1991 said:
Sargent Hoofbeat said:

Neither should my Ponyta

... Who the fack wants a samurott following them around everywhere? gen 5 starters suck dick man.

I want my Gardevoir, Rapidash (Twilight) or Zebrastrika (Zecora) to follow me everywhere

Anything less will incur all of my fan boy rage... and based on the fandoms I'm in I apparantly have a lot
The Gen 5 starters are fine, the weakest design out of them is the Tepig line. And personally, i'd love a Samurott following me, a Sea Lion with swords...what's so wrong about that? ;D

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
arc1991 said:
Sargent Hoofbeat said:
arc1991 said:
Sargent Hoofbeat said:

Neither should my Ponyta

The Gen 5 starters are fine, the weakest design out of them is the Tepig line. And personally, i'd love a Samurott following me, a Sea Lion with swords...what's so wrong about that? ;D
We all know Gen II has the best starting pokemon

Ok, well, I know. I had a Feraligatr, and it was the pokemon game I brainwashed myself on. I named him "Todonumega lord".

Anyway; off track. If we think "Oh, I'll be OK with just the starter pokemon" then that's all we'll get. Where as ALL THE POKEMON, everyone can choose. Think of someone else for a change!