Pokemon Black & White Changing More Than You Think

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pokemon Black & White Changing More Than You Think

The upcoming Pokemon Black & White will actually have differences between versions that go beyond the series' standard "different 'mons for different games" paradigm.

Since the original Red & Blue games, different versions of the Pokemon titles have essentially been the same game with minor differences - you can catch certain Pokemon in one game that you cant in its twin. Growlithe may only be available in Red and Vulpix might only be in Blue, but other than that, the rest of the game is perfectly identical from beginning to end.

Not so with Pokemon Black & White, it would seem. On the latest episode of Pokemon Sunday - you know, the Japanese TV show where grown men and women dress in absurd costumes to be slightly too enthusiastic about all things Pokemon - we learned a bit more about the upcoming games. We were introduced to the new rivals (of which there are two or three this time around), and it was revealed that Black and White wouldn't just have different Pokemon - but entirely different places to visit, as well.

Where Pokemon Black has the Black City, Pokemon White has the more traditional-looking White Forest. It isn't exactly clear if the places will actually be different beyond a mere change in aesthetic, but they certainly don't look alike, even if they have similar layouts. I'd love to see the two locations have different Gyms, for one - one is ripe for a Dark-type gym, and the other would fit a Grass-type trainer nicely, don't you think?

Unfortunately, seeing as how I don't speak a lick of Japanese other than what I've picked up from anime over the years, I can't make heads or tails from the rest of the video. The best I can come up with is that you'll be able to make your Pokemon take naps, and then your Pokemon can dream that they're battling and capturing other Pokemon, only it'll actually happen.

So it's kind of like Nightmare on Elm Street in a way, only cuter.

Which of the two versions are you leaning toward, so far?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Well I'm still confused about which Legendary will be in which game... so I'm just going to get the one with the big black chicken thing.

I'm glad they're changing Pokemon... I mean, I've got five Pokemon games with me at the time and I've had many more over the years and they're all pretty much exactly the same. Not that it's a problem, because they found a formula that worked, but this sounds like it could use the basics of the formula and expand on it more than any other game. Of course the starter Pokemon are some of the worst I've seen (don't you dare mention my Piplup).

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Its an interesting feature, and looks like it could have some potential. But that doesn't really change my position on the games anyway. I'm probably going to get one, namely Black (cos im... actually, i dont know why). And I will enjoy it. It will be a refinement or subtly changing variation on the formula that made gold 14 years ago, and I cant see any reason to change it too drastically.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well nice to see them changing the formula a little! Although wonder if it will be more than skin deep...

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
John Funk said:
The best I can come up with is that you'll be able to make your Pokemon take naps, and then your Pokemon can dream that they're battling and capturing other Pokemon, only it'll actually happen.
Huh? That's an ... interesting idea.

Not sure which version yet, seeing as we really only have the legendaries to decide. The black dragon looks cooler, but I'm a huge fire Pokemon fan.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
Of course the starter Pokemon are some of the worst I've seen (don't you dare mention my Piplup).
I'm gonna mention Piplup because Empoleon is a badass.

That's clearly just one city with two different skins. They even had the exact same guy in the exact same spot. I'm hoping they change some of the events or something to make it more interesting. Either way, I'm probably going to wait for the third version to come out. It's always the best.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Well, glad to see Nintendo taking a step away from the old. Newness: here we come.

As for me, neither game. I stopped playing Pokemon at Silver. Maybe Black & White will change the formula, but I'm not convinced.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
So in order to play the whole of the new versions...I will have to buy copies of both..not just have an opposite version to my friend...Well that SUCKS

ironmace2.0

The Names Hans Olo
Mar 15, 2009
Im leaning towards black just because of Black city, who needs a forrest when you have a city.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
I'll be getting White methinks. I like the main legendary more, and the exclusive pokemon, cities and areas that have been revealed are better on White in my opinion.

I think exclusive gyms and the like would be a great idea! I'm hoping they have exclusive legendaries besides the normal ones on the front of the box too. It would give me a better incentive to play both, as they won't be the same game.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
Well I'm still confused about which Legendary will be in which game... so I'm just going to get the one with the big black chicken thing.
Looks like the black one is in White and the white on is in Black. Which is sad 'cause I wanted to get Black Version and the black one. :/

Also, the bird they showed towards the end actually looks kinda cool.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
I really want this now. Fuck HeartGold and SoulSilver..

The idea of having different areas is actually something I like. It makes the games less cookie cutter. Hopefully the two versions have a different story-line as well.

As for which version I want, well, I really want the black legendary, but I can't pass up the chance to explore the Black City.

I love how they improved the battle animations. Shit's gonna be tiiiiight.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
I really like the look of the new pokemon, 'cept for that squirrel thing. This is probably the first Pokemon game I've been excited for since red/blue.

Ugh, why isn't it a worldwide release? 20-frickin-11.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
I had to turn off the show, purely for its ridiculousness.

It's an interesting change. This will probably result in people buying both versions.

Its completely off-track how the creatures become less pokemon and more Polish stuffed animal.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
And it's only taken them 14 years to realise they should maybe shake things up a bit, rejoice!

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Hmm, I prefer the Pokemon Black mascot (the white thingie) but I don't like the techno-aestethics. So I'm torn in between... Perhaps Pokemon Grey will be the solution?

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
It looks totally epic so far! But I already agreed to White, so I'll get the forest rather than awesome techno, damn it! Although Zekrom looks far cooler than Reshiram.

But I have a theory now... it's kinda depressing, too...

I think this is the last Pokemon game. Ever.

Ever wonder why they made it for the average DS? The 3DS is much too hi-res to accomodate this series, just like the way that airships were taken out of Final Fantasy.

So put all your petty hates about the new pokemon aside, and salute this last offering for wat it will be - amazing.
Nah, Pokemans makes billions and billions of greenbacks for Nintendo. 'Guranteed' billions at that, this new one will easily sell over 10 million copies. You don't just stop something like that.