Pokemon Direct Delivers New Storage System, Limited Edition 3DS XL

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Pokemon Direct Delivers New Storage System, Limited Edition 3DS XL

In a roundtable, casual style, Nintendo talks about Pokemon Bank, new and old starters, and a limited edition Pokemon X and Y 3DS XL.

Nintendo's second Pokemon Direct came out today with 20 minutes of information about Pokemon X and Y presented by Tsunekazu Ishihara, Pokemon Company president, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, and Game Freak director Junichi Masuda.

Pokemon transfers have usually required two systems. Pokemon X and Pokemon Y will be the first games in the series to use Pokemon Bank, an online service that can store up to 3,000 Pokemon. After downloading it from the Nintendo eShop, players can deposit their Pokemon and withdraw them as needed. Additionally, players can download the add-on Poke Transporter to transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Black, Pokemon White, Pokemon Black 2, and Pokemon White 2 to Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. Pokemon Bank will require an annual fee, but a free trial will be available after launch. Iwata said the bank will be a long-term service and compatible with future Pokemon games.

Unlike previous games, the first Pokemon you receive will not be from the professor. In Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, your first partner will be given to you by a friend in the game. The professor gives you your next Pokemon from one of the three original starters from Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue, and their evolved forms all have mega evolutions. A mega evolution occurs when the trainer's bracelet, called a mega ring, connects with the mega stone a Pokemon holds.

North America and Europe will also receive two limited editions of the 3DS XL, featuring the two legendary Pokemon of Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. The 3DS XL will come in red and blue editions for $199.99 on Sept. 27. The game is not included. Pokemon X and Pokemon Y will be released globally on Oct. 12 in seven languages.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqkqdfrfes]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I do love the new Mega Blastoise. It just looks so badass!

Also while some may sniff at an annual fee for Pokemon Bank, I think it's a really good idea and a great way to transfer the 500+ Pokemon I have collected across the games so far and keep them safe

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Hate to sound greedy, but I expected more info to come out of this. Yes, the Bank and new Megas are great and all, but you'd think that with a little over a month to go until launch, they'd have revealed more Pokemon, or given more information on the game's story or some such.

Also, still no Charizard 3DS XL outside of Japan. Phooey.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
soren7550 said:
Hate to sound greedy, but I expected more info to come out of this. Yes, the Bank and new Megas are great and all, but you'd think that with a little over a month to go until launch, they'd have revealed more Pokemon, or given more information on the game's story or some such.

Would you rather the game's story spoiled before it even came out? You wouldn't want that for something like Mass Effect.

Personally I'm fine with the teasing of info. Let me find out all about the story and new Pokemon when I play!

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Mega Evolutions, Mega Rings, Mega Stones... why I'm feeling this more like Power Rangers and no like Pokémon :p

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
TimeLord said:
soren7550 said:

Would you rather the game's story spoiled before it even came out? You wouldn't want that for something like Mass Effect.

Personally I'm fine with the teasing of info. Let me find out all about the story and new Pokemon when I play!
Not spoiled, but I'd like to know something. I mean, we knew going into Mass Effect 2 that you'd need to gather allies to take on the Collectors, and that didn't ruin the game for anyone. All we know (story wise) for Pokemon X/Y is that there's Team Flare, and they like money. I'd like to know a little something at least.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
TimeLord said:
I do love the new Mega Blastoise. It just looks so badass!

Also while some may sniff at an annual fee for Pokemon Bank, I think it's a really good idea and a great way to transfer the 500+ Pokemon I have collected across the games so far and keep them safe
Yes I will always snuff the annual fee for the Pokemon Bank IF they hold previous generations hostage by it. What I mean is if I can still transfer my older pokemon the free but somewhat outdated way (meaning slower) I am fine with the Pokemon Bank. If they say the only way I can transfer is by paying an annual fee then I would say its a scam.

Sadly they are very hesitant to give us full transparency on the matter which makes me assume it is not good news. Companies normally don't have to hide information unless they know there will be a big backlash.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
soren7550 said:
TimeLord said:
soren7550 said:

Not spoiled, but I'd like to know something. I mean, we knew going into Mass Effect 2 that you'd need to gather allies to take on the Collectors, and that didn't ruin the game for anyone. All we know (story wise) for Pokemon X/Y is that there's Team Flare, and they like money. I'd like to know a little something at least.
This is the first time (ever?) that you get a chance to experience a global Pokemon release. Enjoy every surprise you can, because gens IV and V were pretty much ruined by all the people who played through the Japanese versions months before the rest of the world got a chance.

It's frustrating not knowing information, but it's also exciting knowing that everyone is in the same boat.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
soren7550 said:

To be honest, I don't want more new Pokemon revealed.
The whole fun with new generation games, is that you get be surprised by the kinds of Pokemon you run into.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
soren7550 said:

The only extra information I want at this point is the starter evolutions so I can finalize my pick.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Well that was stupid. I was hoping it was going to be like, "Hey Pokemon fans, know how the PC storage system in the game is annoying as hell because you have to go to "deposit" to deposit, "withdraw" to withdraw, "move Pokemon" to move Pokemon, and "move items" to move items between Pokemon when you could just as easily go to the PC and do everything with a tap, drag, and drop system without having to back in-and-out of menus. Well now we're doing that."

To much to hope for huh.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
given that this is a worldwide release, I think holding the cards close might actually be a better idea this time around

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Holy freaking God this is what I've been praying for, other than Jade Empire 2!

No longer will I have to catch 600 bloody pidgeys and trade them for my Pokedex Pokemon collection one by one! AHAHAHHA!

I loved Box so much, I kind of wish it was another version of that. It was so easy to use.

However, I am worried about the annual fee, so long as it's no more than about £5 I'll be happy.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
soren7550 said:

The only extra information I want at this point is the starter evolutions so I can finalize my pick.
That too, although I'm starting to think at this point, they're not saying anything because Fennekin is going to end up Fire/Fighting, thus infuriating many fans.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Let's see if I read right. Is the Poke Transporter part of the Pokemon Bank app and will also need an fee to use or is that free?
I don't care about the Pokemon Bank, only the Transporter.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Zer0Saber said:
Well that was stupid. I was hoping it was going to be like, "Hey Pokemon fans, know how the PC storage system in the game is annoying as hell because you have to go to "deposit" to deposit, "withdraw" to withdraw, "move Pokemon" to move Pokemon, and "move items" to move items between Pokemon when you could just as easily go to the PC and do everything with a tap, drag, and drop system without having to back in-and-out of menus. Well now we're doing that."

To much to hope for huh.
Um... I might be misunderstanding you but I'm pretty sure that they have that in black and white. I just go to "move" pokemon and sort the pokemon in and out of my party from there. What's the last game you played anyways?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Story said:
Let's see if I read right. Is the Poke Transporter part of the Pokemon Bank app and will also need an fee to use or is that free?
I don't care about the Pokemon Bank, only the Transporter.
Yes the transporter is part of pokebank but it is free.