Pokemon Duel Launches For Free on Android and iOS

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon Duel Launches For Free on Android and iOS

Out of seemingly no-where, strategic battling game Pokemon Duel is now available on smartphones.

Today the Pokemon Company has surprisingly released a brand-new free-to-play Pokemon game on Android and iOS. Called Pokemon Duel, the game is a "strategy game where players deploy digital Pokemon figures, making strategic moves and setting figures against each other in battle as they try to reach the goal in their opponents territory." You can see it in action in the video to the right.

Die-hard Pokemon fans may recognize that this is simply the English release of Pokemon Co-master [http://kotaku.com/the-new-pokemon-mobile-game-is-a-bit-too-random-for-its-1774393401], which launched in Japan last year. Here's how the game plays:

By strategically assembling their team of six Pokemon, each with its own strengths and a set number of steps it can take, players can take different routes to rush toward the goal or block the opponent's Pokemon from advancing.
When two Pokemon from opposing teams meet, a battle commences, and the players spin each Pokemon's Data Disk to see which Attack each Pokemon will use.
In addition to moving Pokemon and battling, players will also be able to use a plate at the start of their turn. These plates have various effects, including swapping positions of Pokemon in play and giving their Pokemon various battle enhancements for that turn.
The player who reaches their goal first wins the duel.

[gallery=6838]

You'll play against other real players in the game's League Match mode, which will in turn reward you with "gems" that can be used to purchase items such as Pokemon-boosting "plates" or "Boosters" which contain items that can unlock new Pokemon. You can also purchase gems with real money, which makes up the game's microtransactions.

If you're intrigued, head on over to the Google play store [https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pokemonkomasuta/id1078819328] to download it for free.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Eyeah, while I have shifted myself toward more android/ tablet base gaming this one doesn't interest me at all. I also have a feeling it could be p2w aswell.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
lol this tutorial reminds me of every single Japanese Mobile game right now, complete with Gatcha gameplay and all. While I don't hate these they are certainly an acquired taste for western gamers. The tutorial drags on for well over an hour, dragging you from menu to menue, making sure you know how every single freaking button. Premium currency and everything else. I honestly don't like rooting for games to fail but this kind of carbon cut out is ruining Japanese mobile games and it needs to stop... I say thank with the understanding that even the Japanese market is saturated with these types of games.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
I'm actually really enjoying it. It's super easy to get a few unlocks early so it should be possible to get together a decent team. Pokemon seem reasonably balanced, lots of the high strength pokemon have low movement numbers so you have to find some balance. There is a single player mode (which will unlock can unlock more pokemon for you), the visuals look pretty smart and there is some decent strategy to the actual gameplay.