Pokemon Go Halloween Update Increases The Amount of Candy You Can Earn

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Pokemon Go Halloween Update Increases The Amount of Candy You Can Earn

Specific Pokemon will also appear more frequently during the Halloween event.

Niantic announced today that from Wednesday, October 26, through Tuesday, November 1, Pokemon Go players will have the opportunity to encounter Drowzee, Gastly, Gengar, Golbat, Haunter, Hypno, and Zubat more frequently. Additionally, since a staple of Halloween is candy, players will be able to earn more. When catching a Pokemon, players will earn six candies instead of three, monsters transferred to the professor will net you two instead of one, and Buddy Pokemon will earn four candies instead of one.

"It's been incredible watching people explore their neighborhoods and catch wild Pokemon all summer," said Tatsuo Nomura, senior product manager at Niantic, Inc. "We would like to trick-or-treat in our own special way by giving Trainers the chance to catch more Pokemon and earn extra Candy this Halloween."

"The excitement of Pokemon's 20-year celebration continues this Halloween with the first-ever in-game Pokemon GO event," said J.C. Smith, senior director of consumer marketing at The Pokemon Company International. "We anticipate seeing many Pokemon-themed costumes during this anniversary year, and now Trainers can add Pokemon GO to their trick-or-treat route to receive Candy and add some of the spookier Pokemon to their Pokedex."

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Considering Drowzee is the Pokemon I have encountered the most already that part of the announcement isn't really anything I am very excited about, but more candy for Buddy is kinda cool, guess I'll have either Pdigey or Magikarp as my buddy after the update comes. Sadly I am too busy to walk that much these days... also it's getting really cold outside so I would freeze of my fingers walking around too much.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Yopaz said:
Considering Drowzee is the Pokemon I have encountered the most already that part of the announcement isn't really anything I am very excited about, but more candy for Buddy is kinda cool, guess I'll have either Pdigey or Magikarp as my buddy after the update comes. Sadly I am too busy to walk that much these days... also it's getting really cold outside so I would freeze of my fingers walking around too much.
Toronto is absolutely flooded with Drowzees. I've probably caught at least 10x more Drowzees than any other pokemon. I'm so sick of looking at Drowzees.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
my buddy is a Lapras, so I've still got some distance to cover, but I'll be very grateful for the boost, I want to keep my Lapras in top form, and this is the only way I'm likely to get candy to do so, as I've never even encountered one wild,

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
It's a nice touch, but I've kinda moved on. It takes too long to get back pokeballs where I live and my phone takes forever to load the app. Niantic needs to do more stuff like this to keep their game fresh... It'll be interesting to see if they do anything for the winter. (I really REALLY wish they had log-in rewards like Clash Royale does)

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well the more common encounters are a bit of a bummer, considering all of those shown are common at the least, in my area already.

More Grimer and Muk? Ekans and Arbok? Koffing and Weezing? Maybe Abra's line?

It's good that they're finally getting into an event though. I have a 10k egg cooking at the minute. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid walking till the 26th and then be showered in candies for something which hopefully won't be an Eevee.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It's cool that this game is getting an event, it's just sad that the Pokemon you're most likely to encounter are also Pokemon that are insanely common to my area. If I walk down just one block I'm suddenly swimming in all of these guys, although the Gengar's do tend to be quite a bit more rare.

The craze is over and until hunting comes back in to play I'm pretty much done with it until they've made some more additions, but having some events is the right way to go. Hopefully before long they'll give us some extra trainer customization and we can get some even outfits! The best part about any MMO is collecting all those sweet seasonal costumes. At least, it is for me in FFXIV.

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
Just like a lot of people here, my town is overrun by Drowzees; I really don't need them to spawn more frequently!
And in what world is Zubat a Pokemon that needs an increased spawn rate!?
I'm pretty surprised Jynx isn't on the list of Halloween spawns either. She seems kind of perfect for it.

I was hoping for Grimer/Muk, Ekans/Arbok, and Abra family spawns as they're pretty rare where I live.
Though I'm pretty up for more Ghastly's as I need a Gengar with better moves than the one I have.

This'll be the time to make Magikarp my buddy and get those sweet sweet candies for Gyarados.
Or maybe I'll buddy my Dratini as those never spawn in the wild for me.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
weirdee said:
No Cubones?
Having walked around a little today I would say Cubone seems to be spawning more frequently. I have caught 3 today and those 3 are the first ones I have ever caught. I have also seen two Marowak in my sighting list, although not been able to find them, but today is the first time I have ever seen them so they might be increased due to halloween.