Pokemon Gold & Silver Remakes Tear Up Charts

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Not surprised. I have to say that as a 17 year who picked up Pokemon a few months back...they've really lost their appeal. Pokemon may have been great in it's time but all I really see now is nostalgia value.

I may just get these anyway though. Sometimes nostalgias all you need.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Faeanor said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
awesome 'mons like Houndoom
That and Espeon. Psychic Eevee? Hell yes.

I'm going to have to get one of these when it comes to the US. Even though I still haven't finished Diamond >.>;;
This picture reminds me of my days breeding eevee's. Oh wait, I'm still doing that.

At op: I bought firered and leafgreen, but I noticed a fundamental problem. There wasn't enough new content, which probably aids to why it didn't sell as hot as HG/SS is selling already. HG/SS provides so much new content that a new game is justified. We are getting nostalgia and a new experience. It just makes sense that this game would sell like crazy. I'm sure they can expect a shitload more sales on the release date here in the good old US(and Europe too).

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Pokémon is the behemoth of our (90's kids) generation. It's right up there with Mario and Zelda. Way bigger than Halo and Metal Gear could ever dream of. Whether you like it or not.

Gold and Silver were the pinnacle of the whole phenomenon. Two perfect sequels to the games that caused mass hysteria. Now the kids have grown up, eager to relive the jolly pre-puberty fun of Pokémon, and this time around they're not restricted by a limited allowance.

Call it milking if you wish, but whatever it is they do, they're damn good at it ^^

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The inner Pokéfan inside me wants to state he's definitely buying SoulSilver. But he's on... vacation right now, and can't say a word. I do wish they'd remake Crystal, considering that was my game from the second generation.

Mortars

May 24, 2009
I have been looking hopefully at my copy of Gold lately, filled with dreams of playing it again, but sad that I don´t happen to own a gameboy anymore, it will be great to get a remade version. I will buy Silver this time though, always wanted to see if there´s a big difference.

Edit: Cyndaquil FTW

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Littaly said:
Pokémon is the behemoth of our (90's kids) generation. It's right up there with Mario and Zelda. Way bigger than Halo and Metal Gear could ever dream of. Whether you like it or not.

Call it milking if you wish, but whatever it is they do, they're damn good at it ^^
It's hilarious to think of pikachu and jigglypuff teabagging Master Chief and Marcus Fenix. If HG/SS sell another 1.4 million copies at the US release then we can offically say that it is more popular that WoW. Let them have their swords and their chainsaws and their epic mounts, we have goddamned pikachu.

ChromeAlchemist said:
Amnestic said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
*snip*

What's that? I can't hear you over the objective howls from Arcanine, Raichu and Me- no, that won't count, you'd cut me down for that. Arcanine and Raichu still stand, though.
Okay, Arcanine I can get behind. But Raichu? It's a fat brown mouse plugged into a mains supply. There's plenty of superior electric pokémon out there. I'd name Jolteon, but I've been known to field a team entirely made up of Eevee evolutions so I'm pretty biased in that direction... What about Electabuzz though?
Electabuzz? I'd tell you to get off my internet, but you wouldn't comply. Raichu's special is ridiculous. Get the surfing Pikachu, then evolve it into Raichu, give it reflect, thunderbolt, and either thunder wave or body slam, and you've got a damned monster on your hands.

I never was a fan of Electabuzz. Maybe Ampharos though.
Raichu was balls compared to Jolteon, Ampharos and now Electivire. The only thing that makes it good at all is Nasty Plot, but before that it was just outclassed. Raichu was for suckers who liked Pikachu.

MajoraPersona said:
A few months ago, the twelfth movie was shown in Japanese theatres. If you pre-ordered your tickets, you got a special Pichu. If you bring that Pichu into these new games, you get another special Pichu. Then, if you take the second special Pichu to Professor Elm, he apparently tells you it's even more special, so it can't be traded. He bans it from being traded because it's special.
So is Pichu riding the short bus nowadays?

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
randommaster said:
Littaly said:

It's hilarious to think of pikachu and jigglypuff teabagging Master Chief and Marcus Fenix. If HG/SS sell another 1.4 million copies at the US release then we can offically say that it is more popular that WoW. Let them have their swords and their chainsaws and their epic mounts, we have goddamned pikachu.
Now, I've never played Hideo Kojima's cinematic masterpieces, but I think that's the wrong guy.

Pikachu and Jigglypuff have been hurting that other guy for a while now.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Can't wait for the North American release. Gold was always my favorite game on the Game Boy up until Advance Wars.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Sweet. I can't wait until the American versions come out. Platinum was the first game I played through (I played on Blue a little bit, but ran out of time on a trip.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
randommaster said:
Raichu was balls compared to Jolteon, Ampharos and now Electivire. The only thing that makes it good at all is Nasty Plot, but before that it was just outclassed. Raichu was for suckers who liked Pikachu.
As far as gen 1 was concerned, lies and slander. I never particularly liked Pikachu, but a Surfing Pikachu that turned into a surfing raichu instantly negated one of elec types' biggest threats: rock and ground types, but moreso rock. With a high special rate and speed that guarantees a first hit, if they don't know it can surf, you can wipe out a the opposition in one strike. Fact.

Jolteon was great, he's probably one of the best if not the best, better than a non-surfing Raichu, but give Raichu surf and he's a monster. And if they aren't susceptible to water or electric, body slam them to high heaven.

As for gen 2, I loved Ampharos, so it's pretty much a tie. I never played anything past gen 2, so whenever I talk Pokemon, I mean Kanto and Johto.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
This is kind of unsettling that Nintendo would remake something again and people just eat it up. I'm dumbfounded by the gullibility of N fans.
God of War collection says hi.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
MajoraPersona said:
randommaster said:
Littaly said:

Now, I've never played Hideo Kojima's cinematic masterpieces, but I think that's the wrong guy.

Well, now I look like a moron. But yeah, crochety old Snake has been doing well since he can deal with Metaknight.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Trendkill6 said:
Really chickorita? Why no tododile!

OT: It was the height of pokemon games it was before there were way too many pokemon, and the gameplay was still fresh and fun, personally I'll prolly end up buying too >.<
Totodile is the Johto Mudkip, and the editors didn't want to OFFEND anyone! Hahaha.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
randommaster said:
MajoraPersona said:
randommaster said:
Littaly said:

Well, now I look like a moron. But yeah, crochety old Snake has been doing well since he can deal with Metaknight.
That Marcus guy and Master Chief will probably be in a Super Smash Bros. game one day, and then Pikachu will finally beat them up.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
randommaster said:
As far as gen 1 was concerned, lies and slander. I never particularly liked Pikachu, but a Surfing Pikachu that turned into a surfing raichu instantly negated one of elec types' biggest threats: rock and ground types, but moreso rock. With a high special rate and speed that guarantees a first hit, if they don't know it can surf, you can wipe out a the opposition in one strike. Fact.

Jolteon was great, he's probably one of the best if not the best, better than a non-surfing Raichu, but give Raichu surf and he's a monster. And if they aren't susceptible to water or electric, body slam them to high heaven.

As for gen 2, I loved Ampharos, so it's pretty much a tie. I never played anything past gen 2, so whenever I talk Pokemon, I mean Kanto and Johto.
You're walled by any grass types, though. And Quagsire. And Dragon types. Also, Raichu isn't really that fast over all while Jolteon is in the top five. It gets murdered by those where Jolteon has Pin Missle and, if you want to work for it, Hidden Power: Ice, which turns it into one of the hardest things to deal with.