Pokemon Gold & Silver Remakes Tear Up Charts

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pokemon Gold & Silver Remakes Tear Up Charts

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver tore up the charts on their opening weekend, racking up a combined 1.5 million sales in just two days.

It's always nice to know that in this wild and crazy world we live in, there are still some universal constants that will never change: The sun will always come up in the morning, giant robots will always be awesome, and handheld Pokemon games will always sell like proverbial hotcakes. HeartGold and SoulSilver, the remakes of the original second-generation Pokemon games (er, Gold and Silver) generated just shy of 1.5 million copies their opening weekend in Japan - to be precise, that's 1,480,980 copies sold, reports Famitsu [http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1227559_1124.html].

Gold and Silver are arguably the most beloved games in the franchise, having introduced concepts to the series like Pokemon with genders, breeding, day/night cycles, and actually having a game after beating the Elite Four (and Champion). In fact, after conquering the Johto Pokemon League, the player could go back and explore the entire Kanto continent - the setting of Red and Blue with eight more gyms to conquer. That's pretty huge right there.

I'd go so far as to say that the only people who don't like Gold and Silver are either crusty old fogies who swear that there were only ever 151 Pokemon and as such are missing out on awesome 'mons like Houndoom, Blaziken, and Empoleon, or Communists. No exceptions.

Let's put this in a bit of perspective: While not quite as impressive as, say, the 2.8 million copies of Wrath of the Lich King last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87593-Wrath-Of-The-Lich-King-Sets-Sales-Records], ten bought SoulSilver or HeartGold in just two days.

I guess there's no resisting the siren call of catching 'em all.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/15/latest-pokemon-sells-1-5-million-in-two-days/])

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
And I shall get my copy as soon as I can. No matter what. Pokemon will never leave me.

Trendkill6

Dec 14, 2008
Really chickorita? Why no tododile!

OT: It was the height of pokemon games it was before there were way too many pokemon, and the gameplay was still fresh and fun, personally I'll prolly end up buying too >.<

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I can't wait for this game since I lost my pokemon gold, I doubt I will be getting a level 100 mewtwo and charizard though, also will there be cloning?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Eh, as much as I loved those games I'm saddened that remakes of them are made, even sadder seeing how much they've sold. I mean it's just showing the Poke' franchise has truly run out of ideas.
What? Dude. They are remaking Silver and Gold. ON THE DS!

That's like saying that "Aww man, they're making Diablo 3... come on, you've ran out of ideas".

This is one game (okay, two/three games) worthy of remaking.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Bet it will sell well in here in the U.S. when it comes. I know I'll buy the gold version. That was my favorite of the entire series, and yes I prefer Ho-oh over Lugia.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I haven't played either of those two games. I was too hooked up on Blue... That and my father said "You already have one pokemon game".

Off note* Does the title HeartGold makes you think of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQCYfEthztI&feature=related

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Trendkill6 said:
Pffft. Cyndaquil all the way.

But yeah, I'll be getting this as soon as it comes stateside.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
OMG OMG WHEN DOES THIS COME OUT IN NORTH AMERICA?!?!! I MUST CATCH THEM *catchs breath* ALL AGAIN!!!

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
archvile93 said:
Bet it will sell well in here in the U.S. when it comes. I know I'll buy the gold version. That was my favorite of the entire series, and yes I prefer Ho-oh over Lugia.
I answer with this quote. WORD FOR WORD!!!

Faeanor

Dec 15, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
awesome 'mons like Houndoom
That and Espeon. Psychic Eevee? Hell yes.

I'm going to have to get one of these when it comes to the US. Even though I still haven't finished Diamond >.>;;

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
scotth266 said:
Trendkill6 said:
Pffft. Cyndaquil all the way.
So many times this. Fire Starter owns everything. I had Pokémon Crystal rather than Gold/Silver, but it did kick a lot of ass. Suicune (the legendary adorning the Crystal cartridge was at least 7 kinds of awesome.

Will be waiting for this to get released in the EU with baited breath. I loves me some pokémon action.