Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver Sell 8.4 Million

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver Sell 8.4 Million

In a completely shocking turn of events, the Nintendo DS remakes of classic catch-em-all titles Pokemon Gold & Silver have sold astoundingly well.

In closing off its fiscal year 2009 (ending March 31), Nintendo announced Wii Party, its latest license to print money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100544-Iwata-Reveals-Nintendos-Wii-Party], and also discussed which of its titles had sold more than a million units in the past year.

Unsurprisingly, one (er, two) of the titles in question were the latest Pokemon games, excellent remakes of the beloved Gold & Silver [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75774] had sold an extremely impressive 8.4 million copies since their Japanese launch in September '09.

What may be more impressive than the total number of units sold is just how quickly the game has sold. Pokemon HGSS may have sold 3.84 million copies in Japan since September, but it sold 4.62 million copies outside of Japan - a number that is all the more astounding when you realize that there were only a few weeks at best between the North American and European launches (March 17 and March 26, respectively) and the close of Nintendo's fiscal year at the end of the month.

Even during the meager GameCube years, where Nintendo found itself in third place worldwide, Pokemon was one of the company's cash-cow franchises keeping Shigeru Miyamoto swimming in dough. Now, with the success of the Wii, Nintendo also has quite a few pillars other than Pokemon keeping its bank accounts full. The company named some of its other million-plus sellers during 2009:

On the DS front, you have the Japan-only Tomodachi Collection which sold 3.2 million copies, New Super Mario Bros. [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75040] sold over three million apiece.

On the Wii, Nintendo's major titles - New Super Mario Bros. Wii [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74506] - all sold more than 10 million copies in North America and Europe, with respective worldwide totals of 16.14 million, 12.65 million, and 14.7 million copies sold. All three of those, however, are outshone by Wii Sports, which now has a staggering estimated 63.46 million copies in circulation.

Other Nintendo games to sell well include Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=2125] (3.09 million).

Oh please, like you're surprised.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/07/pokemon-heartgold-soulsilver-reaches-8-million-sold])

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Not surprising...these are remakes of, arguably, the best games of the series. I have 3 copies personally; unopened US Silver, JP Silver and, US Gold. The surprising thing though, is that I am not a virgin. I'm just a freakin' dork...now to check serebii to see if the new starters have been revealed yet

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Goes to show when it comes to pokemon, people love it, and, we are so willing to show it now.

lol, Wearing my pokewalker as I type!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Great sales for the Gold/Silver remakes.

Actually have they outsold their original games? I remember Silver holding a world record for most sold handheld game.

Apr 28, 2008
I know how they sold that many copies.

*ring ring*
"Yeah, this is Joey, you know my Ratatta? Its the best Ratatta, its like in the top percentage of Ratatta, its better than all Ratatta! If you want me to stop bugging you, buy Heartgold/Soulsilver!"
*click*

This call repeats every 3 minutes.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow, i had no idea that 2 beautiful Feature packed remakes of two excellent games in a fun series would sell so well!

[sup]am i doing surprised right?[/sup]

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Irridium said:

*ring ring*
"Yeah, this is Joey, you know my Ratatta? Its the best Ratatta, its like in the top percentage of Ratatta, its better than all Ratatta! If you want me to stop bugging you, buy Heartgold/Soulsilver!"
*click*

That's why I didn't add Joey to my phone list. Sure, I'll lose out on the opportunity to battle him again, but it's worth it.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Irridium said:

*ring ring*
*click*

*ring ring*

Yo man!
Its joey!
Me and my Ratatta have been training a lot!
Its gotten a lot stronger, its like in the top 10 percent of Ratattas!
TOP 10 PERCENT.
We should battle again soon!
Later!
*Click*

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I don't believe the Wii Sports thing AT ALL.

The game is shipped with the Wii, that does not count.

Other than that, I'm not surprised. I mean, not only is Generation 2 one of the most loved generations, therefore ensuring that a lot of people who loved them would buy it, but it has been hyped up the ass.

Everyone says "They're remaking the best Pokemon games ever!"

And of course everyone then buys them.

Still, they are both brilliant, so I'm not complaining.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Irridium said:

*ring ring*
*click*

Fun fact: People who've used cheat devices to hack the game have found out that Joey's Rattata has near-perfect IVs and nature.

So it is, in fact, in the top percentage of Rattata.

Apr 28, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Irridium said:

*ring ring*
*click*

*ring ring*

Yo man!
Its joey!
Me and my Ratatta have been training a lot!
Its gotten a lot stronger, its like in the top 10 percent of Ratattas!
TOP 10 PERCENT.
We should battle again soon!
Later!
*Click*

John Funk said:
Irridium said:

*ring ring*
*click*

Fun fact: People who've used cheat devices to hack the game have found out that Joey's Rattata has near-perfect IVs and nature.

Really? Huh, you learn something new every day. But still, a Rattata is still a Rattata, and goes down just as easily from my Typhlosion's flamethrower.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
John Funk said:
Irridium said:

*ring ring*
*click*

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

That's awesome.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
I freaking hate how companies use stats from games sold with systems as "game sales" Cyan did it with Myst when it came with every copy of Windows 95 back in the day. Nintendo did it with Tetris.
This isn't to say that they're not good games, but 64 million copies sold might as well match their console sales as well because they didn't sell much of Wii Sports outside of it's console bundle. And it's not a very completed game to begin with, much like Link's Crossbow training for the "Zapper" bundle.
*Shakes Head* I friggin hate marketing...

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
John Funk said:
Irridium said:

*ring ring*
*click*

That's an absolutely awesome fun fact, thank you.