Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Receiving Playable Demo

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Receiving Playable Demo

Both upcoming titles Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are releasing in November with additional Mega Evolutions, and players can expect a demo to drop in October.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire may be headed for retail shelves on November 21, but players wishing to explore the Hoenn region early will soon be able to do just that.

Nintendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/nintendo] is releasing the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire Special Demo Version (yes, the name is that long) to players next Tuesday, October 21. Details are scarce as to what the demo itself will entail, but you will be able to find and capture a number of Pokémon throughout the land, some of which are able to Mega Evolve. Additionally, any Pokémon captured or items attained while playing the demo will be eligible for transport to the full games when they release on November 21.

Nintendo has also revealed that, while you can play the demo as many times as you'd like, you can expect "special scenarios" to occur if you play it every single day. It might be a bit of a commitment, but the rewards could be quite interesting.

However, procuring the demo will be a little different than what 3DS owners may be used to. It won't simply launch on the eShop, and will instead require the use of a special code. If you wish to receive a code for the demo, you'll need to be a member of the Pokémon Trainer Club [https://sso.pokemon.com/sso/login?locale=en&service=https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-trainer-club/caslogin], which you can sign up for at the official Pokémon website. Once you're a member, make sure you've opted in to receive official communications regarding Pokémon. You'll receive your demo code via the Pokémon Trainer Club Newsletter by the release date.

Aside from the scintillating demo talk, Nintendo also announced additional Mega-evolved monsters that will be available in the games that we discussed a couple days ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137987-Terrifying-Mega-Beedrill-And-Majestic-Mega-Pidgeot-Revealed-For-Pokemon-OR-AS]: Mega Pidgeot, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Latios and Mega Latias. You'll have to purchase Omega Ruby to obtain Latias and Alpha Sapphire for Latios, but you'll require an item known as an Eon Ticket to acquire them.

Time to get geared up for both remakes when they drop in November, so if you're worried about jumping in early, better make sure you're signed up and ready to receive a code so you don't miss out.

Source: Official Pokémon Site [http://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I got the code and downloaded the demo hours ago (I preorder it from Amazon and they had email me a code). It pretty much more or less what I expect and the Glalie you encounter will be able to transfer to the proper game (which hold the mega stone) althought sadly I read the starters you picked in the demo version won't be transfered (there goes my party idea).

I going to try to played it everyday to see what this special reward is.

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
I got the code and downloaded the demo hours ago (I preorder it from Amazon and they had email me a code). It pretty much more or less what I expect and the Glalie you encounter will be able to transfer to the proper game (which hold the mega stone) althought sadly I read the starters you picked in the demo version won't be transfered (there goes my party idea).

I going to try to played it everyday to see what this special reward is.
Ugh, that's not cool at all. Though, I suppose it makes sense that the starters wouldn't transfer.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Say what you will about Nintendo, but isn't demos one of those things people always say they want more of? At least with the 3ds, they did put out demos for several of their big releases, and lots of smaller releases as well. I'm reasonably impressed.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Tentatively signed up, I'm not sure if it'll be worth it or not but I could do with something to keep me going until the proper game hits stores (A week later as well for Europe, how mean is that?).

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So the only way to acquire the demo is to be a member in some club you'd most likely only be in if you've already played at least 1 pokemon game?
Then what's the demo for?

People who don't know what that whole "pokemon" deal is all about can't play it and people who played the pokemon games already played the "demo" for this game.
It's called pokemon X/Y. It's gonna be the exact same framework.

Also there will be mechanisms to reward playing this game every day?
That's pretty evil manipulation oftenly seen in mobile free 2 play games.
It feels highly abusive to me who is aware of his addictive personality so I don't like that and hope this won't become a permanent part of the pokemon franchise.

It's already addictive enough, no need for such tactics.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Who needs a demo for a Pokemon game? Every Pokemon game is virtually the same. Especially this one because it?s practically just a re-release of Ruby and Sapphire.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Steve Waltz said:
Who needs a demo for a Pokemon game? Every Pokemon game is virtually the same. Especially this one because it?s practically just a re-release of Ruby and Sapphire.
I think the daily rewards thing is why they're doing it instead of making people wait.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
It would seem that the Demo has been hacked already.

pokebeach.com/2014/10/mega-hoopa-uncovered-in-oras-demo-stats-for-mega-evolutions

If it's real then Hoopa better have a real good backstory to explain why it looks so different.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Borderlands Pre-Sequel AND a Pokemon demo within a week? I'll need to finish Shadow of Mordor and cram in as much Smash Bros as possible before tomorrow! My body is not ready for all this

Brittany Vincent said:
You'll have to purchase Omega Ruby to obtain Latias and Alpha Sapphire for Latios, but you'll require an item known as an Eon Ticket to acquire them.
Not sure if you need to add but you can get Latios in Ruby and Latias in Saphire as standard, the Eon ticket just makes the opposite one available in each game.[footnote]I think I got that right. I always get confused between Latias and Latios[/footnote] That sentence makes it sound like you can only get Latias and Latios through special event and nowhere else :)

emeril322

Jul 12, 2012
Okay so how exactly do I opt in on their site so I can get the demo code? I've got an account already (since I have Pokemon X).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
emeril322 said:
Okay so how exactly do I opt in on their site so I can get the demo code? I've got an account already (since I have Pokemon X).
You make sure your account has the "receive marketing email messages" enabled and they should send it this October 20th.

Pokemon.com: Head to Hoenn Early with the Pokémon Trainer Club! [http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/head-to-hoenn-early-with-the-pokemon-trainer-club/]

emeril322

Jul 12, 2012
Alright thanks, just wanted to make sure, since I did that this morning after digging through the site.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
loa said:
You really are pessimistic when it comes to Pokemon.

Maybe someone skipped out on Gen 5 or 6 because they weren't really feeling up to playing Pokemon for a while. and even if you have played X & Y what's wrong with Game Freak giving a little gift to tide people over? I'm not sure why you need to make it sound like such a bad thing.

The demo only requires you to play it for 10 days for minor presents like pokeballs and heart scales before it stops giving gifts and tasks for you to do. If that somehow kickstarts an addiction then you really professional help.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Semi-DemiFiend said:
loa said:

Maybe someone skipped out on Gen 5 or 6 because they weren't really feeling up to playing Pokemon for a while. and even if you have played X & Y what's wrong with Game Freak giving a little gift to tide people over? I'm not sure why you need to make it sound like such a bad thing.

The demo only requires you to play it for 10 days for minor presents like pokeballs and heart scales before it stops giving gifts and tasks for you to do. If that somehow kickstarts an addiction then you really professional help.
Since when are demos "little gifts"?
Last thing I know is a demo is supposed to get you interested in a game and how exactly is the prerequisite of being a member in a club to obtain the demo not in the way of reeling the 10 people who don't know pokemon yet in?

I don't appreciate you using "professional help" in a derogatory way but I will assume your lack of empathy stems from ignorance so I will explain.

If a game gives you something in exchange for playing it every (consecutive) day, it's harder to quit. Makes sense?
It "punishes" for not playing for a day after all and laying it down for a day is the first step to quit.
Try playing puzzle & dragons to see what I mean. It's free for android on google play.
It's chock full of mechanisms that compel you to start the game up every day, start it up at certain days and times and play a game or 2 or 10 right then and there even if you don't really feel like it at that time because there's constantly some time-limited stuff going on and you don't want to lose your consecutive log in bonus.

Pretty evil stuff.
Don't want any of those "free to play" tactics in my full price game.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
loa said:
Semi-DemiFiend said:
loa said:

Since when are demos "little gifts"?
Last thing I know is a demo is supposed to get you interested in a game and how exactly is the prerequisite of being a member in a club to obtain the demo not in the way of reeling the 10 people who don't know pokemon yet in?

I don't appreciate you using "professional help" in a derogatory way but I will assume your lack of empathy stems from ignorance so I will explain.

If a game gives you something in exchange for playing it every (consecutive) day, it's harder to quit. Makes sense?
It "punishes" for not playing for a day after all and laying it down for a day is the first step to quit.
Try playing puzzle & dragons to see what I mean. It's free for android on google play.
It's chock full of mechanisms that compel you to start the game up every day, start it up at certain days and times and play a game or 2 or 10 right then and there even if you don't really feel like it at that time because there's constantly some time-limited stuff going on and you don't want to lose your consecutive log in bonus.

Pretty evil stuff.
Don't want any of those "free to play" tactics in my full price game.
it's a gift for people who want to play a little bit of the game and see some of the new features that were added for this game.The demo is free and comes at no cost to anyone who wants it. America is the only country where the code is being sent through the Trainer Club. Other countries distribute it via stores and special events meaning that you won't have to be a part of any sort of program or anything to get one.

My lack of empathy comes from the fact that addiction is something very serious and your claim that this demo will cause an addictive reaction is so ridiculous that it is obvious that you aren't being serious.

The Demo doesn't punish you if you don't play it everyday. it doesn't threaten to wipe your data or make your Pokemon run away or anything like that. All that happens is that you don't get a few extra pokeballs and heart scales for the main game. None of those items are rare or hard to find in the actual game and can be found far easier outside of the demo. The demo only gives you 10 days worth of stuff to do and after that there's nothing else, it won't give you any presents and it won't give you anything to actually do and will effectively be a "dead demo" that you can delete at any time.
If you do somehow become addicted to this demo what will you do after the 10 days are up? Will you compulsively check it everyday in the vain hope that maybe they had put in a secret 100 day consecutive streak bonus or maybe even a 100 hour playtime bonus with the reward being a legendary Pokemon or some sort of secret event item? Will you lock yourself into the bathroom, abandoning your work, education, hygiene, and loved ones and devote all of your time to find another hidden secret that you deluded yourself into thinking exists?
I would think not.

And if you are worried about consecutive play bonuses being in the game then it's too late to get upset now because it's been there since Gen 2. There were items and Pokemon that you could only get if you played at certain times on certain days such as the day of the week siblings that would give you an item if you found them hiding on their respective day or catching some Pokemon only at night or early morning. There was even a secret Lapras that only popped up on Fridays.They do it in later generations with berries, ribbons, and legendary Pokemon too.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
loa said:
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Maybe try arguing against things I actually said.
I actually did but it would seem clear that you have no actual interest in arguing and disregarded everything I said in an attempt to quit the argument so you could pretend you won without actually having to spend any time actually thinking about how you might be wrong.

Do you even like Pokemon? every time I've seen you in a Pokemon thread you do nothing but complain about how something takes two seconds to long or how you hate a mechanic that you don't actually understand.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Semi-DemiFiend said:
loa said:
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Maybe try arguing against things I actually said.
I actually did but it would seem clear that you have no actual interest in arguing and disregarded everything I said in an attempt to quit the argument so you could pretend you won without actually having to spend any time actually thinking about how you might be wrong.

Do you even like Pokemon? every time I've seen you in a Pokemon thread you do nothing but complain about how something takes two seconds to long or how you hate a mechanic that you don't actually understand.
Why should I waste my time with someone who thinks this is about "winning"?
With that mindset, it is clear there will be no concessions, no middleground.
Just as your drivel that assumes I said this demo is highly addictive (I did not) shows.

Here's what I said: I don't like manipulative free 2 play tactics such as daily rewards since it prays on people like me.
Due to my personal experience, I am sensitive to that. I don't like it and hope this won't be a permanent addition to the pokemon franchise.
And that's that.

What about this offends you so fucking much?
Is it because I said something vaguely negative about your beloved [insert franchise here]?