Pokemon: Really running out of ideas

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Ever Black and White I feel Nintendo has been running out of ideas for the designs of pokemon. I'll point to two pokemon as examples.

Trubbish: Seriously? A pokemon based on garbage? That's really, really bad imo if Trubbish wasn't a sign of how many ideas they were running out, I don't know what is.

Klefki: A key chain like Pokemon, uhh what?

I know not all pokemon designs have to be based on sometype of animal..but a garbage bag and a key chain as pokemon? Seriously Nintendo you can do better.

This is just my 00.02

Edit: And this is not about every design just a few specific ones that look awkward.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:
Berny Marcus said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of Hawlucha being the best Pokemon ever created.

Ever
And? Your point?
Nobody can be accused of running out of ideas when Hawlucha is around.
I meant not for every pokemon, but some looked just completely ridiculous like Trubbish and Klefki. There designs to me look unoriginal, and thrown there for the sake of making new pokemon species.

Edit: But actually yeah, one can if they find Hawlucha unoriginal :I

Dec 14, 2009
Berny Marcus said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Berny Marcus said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of Hawlucha being the best Pokemon ever created.

Ever
And? Your point?
Nobody can be accused of running out of ideas when Hawlucha is around.
I meant not for every pokemon, but some looked just completely ridiculous like Trubbish and Klefki. There designs to me look unoriginal, and thrown there for the sake of making new pokemon species.
I don't think you're listening.

Now do you understand?

Now do you understand?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
While I agree that Pokemon like Trubbish are pretty poorly designed, and Stunfisk is probably my least favourite Pokemon ever, Gens V and VI have some great designs.

Pokemon like Haxorus, Zekrom, Pangoro, Greninja and of course Hawlucha (to name but a few) are really awesome designs.

And let's not pretend the early Gens don't have their fair share of stinkers. Voltorb is just a Pokeball with eyes, Oddish is just a blue radish with legs. And what the hell is Unown supposed to be?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Trupish is a play on pollution in america, since Black and White is based off America. That's why I find him acceptable.

I will give you the keychain and add the Chandelier to the list of bad ides. But overall the designs are really good minus two or three pokemon. 6th gen has the coolest fossil pokemon ever, 5th has the coolest dragons, and 4th has... some cool legendaries.

k7avenger

Sep 26, 2010
Well in that case, they ran out of ideas on the original 150. Grimer is an animate pile of sludge, and koffing is a floating tumor. Oddish is just a vegtable, so original in fact, they had to make a pumpkin pokemon in the newest generation. In the 7th gen, I fully expect to see a corn pokemon who's dark/grass and named "Stalk" (hehe, get it?)

They aren't exactly running out of idea's, they are just now kind of stretching the suspension of disbelief. We've seen enough haunted appliances/fruits/foxes/lizards/whatever by now that we've become apathetic to them, or at least I have.

But then again I think we can all agree that Hawlucha is the best. In fact, Hawlucha may very well dethrone pikachu as the pokemon mascot. He is THAT awesome. Helioptile comes in at a close 2nd.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Because Pokemon like Diglett, Oddish and Graveller are so inspired? Zubat?

Hell, if I was paid to come up with new Pokemon every generation, I'd be happy to churn out an ice cream cone with a face, too. I'm getting paid to put faces on shit or draw blue turtles with tails. Or a generic dinosaur with some fire on it's tail. Or, you know, a fat-ass duck with a headache. (Almost) all look awkward and pretty uninspired when you think about it. The desiners probably flip through books, the internet, or go walk around outside and think "Hm... what would that look like electric purple with weird arms and a face on it?" then go home, draw it, and get real money for it.

I am all kinds of jealous.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I actually think X and Y have some really good new designs in them.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Hazy992 said:
While I agree that Pokemon like Trubbish are pretty poorly designed, and Stunfisk is probably my least favourite Pokemon ever, Gens V and VI have some great designs.

Pokemon like Haxorus, Zekrom, Pangoro, Greninja and of course Hawlucha (to name but a few) are really awesome designs.

And let's not pretend the early Gens don't have their fair share of stinkers. Voltorb is just a Pokeball with eyes, Oddish is just a blue radish with legs. And what the hell is Unown supposed to be?
Yeah. Pretty much this. Gen one has some of the lamest ones out there. They don't even pretend not to be animals. Beedrill? Seel? Don't nobody give a fuck about them.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Gen 1 had a Pokemon made of sludge, a Pokemon based on a magnet and what the hell as Jynx supposed to be again?

I'd say Pokemon designs might actually be getting better

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Berny Marcus said:
Ever Black and White I feel Nintendo has been running out of ideas for the designs of pokemon. I'll point to two pokemon as examples.

Trubbish: Seriously? A pokemon based on garbage? That's really, really bad imo if Trubbish wasn't a sign of how many ideas they were running out, I don't know what is.
Grimer: Liquid waste
Koffing : Gaseous waste
Trubbish : Solid waste

Klefki: A key chain like Pokemon, uhh what?
As opposed to voltorb, the ball pokemon, right?
At least klefki is a fairy that steals people's keys and thus, gets prankster as an ability. Makes sense, quite imaginative. Voltorb is an exploding ball that is somehow soundproof... And they even made him look like a pokeball... Because designing is hard....

Stupid looking pokemon are not a new occurrence. The last 2-3 generations have by far some of the most creative designs despite how ugly some of them are.
Creative =/= Good looking and Garbodor is no more unimaginative than Weezing or Muk...
Those names.... WEEZING AND MUK... So much imagination going on there....

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Every generation has had bad pokemon. I'm of the opinion that later generations have had more terrible pokemon. But I think the awesome pokemon in X and Y outweigh the bad ones.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
TimeLord said:
and what the hell as Jynx supposed to be again?
Some questions are better left unanswered.... >.>

OT: So long as there are "things" left in this world (our world, the real one) that have yet to be given a cute face and reality-bending super powers, they will never run out of Pokémon designs. Complaining about pokemon design at this point seems rather silly considering what has been seen before.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
RJ 17 said:
TimeLord said:
and what the hell as Jynx supposed to be again?
Some questions are better left unanswered.... >.>
True. Thank god they haven't given it an evolution yet.

And Smoochum doesn't count.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
TimeLord said:
Gen 1 had a Pokemon made of sludge, a Pokemon based on a magnet and what the hell as Jynx supposed to be again?

I'd say Pokemon designs might actually be getting better
I don't find it better or worse, I think there's been no artistic evolution of any kind. 50% of all Pokemon are either some sort of fish or rat, to begin with.

(I think Jynx was supposed to be a blackface stereotype. Anyway it looks like one and 'murica certainly treated it like one by having it censored altogether)

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I seriously don't get why people complain about this. So a pile of sludge is okay but a garbage bag? Awwwww hell no.

Salus

Oct 7, 2013
I think the ratio of bad designs to good designs increases with every generation. I prefer the more animal-based Pokemon like Beedrill (actually one of my faves) over naturally-occurring ice cream cones.

The problem is not so much bad designs as PokéInflation. There are just too many for me nowadays. I don't see many designs I like anymore, my most recent favorite being Grovyle, until it evolved. :(

EDIT: But seriously, Vanillish?