Pokemon TCG Game Coming to iPad

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Pokemon TCG Game Coming to iPad

Soon, Trainers from every corner of the earth will be able to face off against each other when the Pokemon Trading Card Game comes to mobile.

News that Pokemon's online version of its popular trading card game would be making the jump to mobile platforms emerged this weekend like a wild Pidgey from a patch of tall grass. Yesterday, YouTube celebrity Josh Whittenkeller informed [https://twitter.com/TheJWittz/status/500350510403432448] Kotaku that the game would be released later on this year.

The free-to-play online version has been around since 2011- offering a gaming experience similar to Wizards of the Coast's Magic Online and Blizzard's newcomer, Hearthstone. Players can acquire new cards for their decks by defeating the game's numerous NPC opponents. You can also import real-life cards purchased by redeeming their respective codes, or simply purchase digital cards directly from the service.

When released, the game will be The Pokemon Company's first app. It is currently unknown what kind of functionality the iPad version will have, but some speculate that the inclusion of either one of the tablet's cameras with the ability to scan cards via a QR code could prove beneficial. If this release proves successful, it might determine Nintendo's entire stance on the mobile gaming market as a whole.

Excited at the prospect of a mobile Pokemon Trading Card Game? Express your joy in the comments! As always, stay tuned to The Escapist for all your Pokemon news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokemon?from_search=1] needs.

Source: PC Magazine [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462753,00.asp]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
*SQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

I will play the absolute hell out of that and be happy that I can play that again. Good Lord, it's been so long since I've played that card game considering that Magic is my go to card game for such a long time. That and not a whole lot of people I knew played it.

Bring on the nostalgia! :D

[sub][sub][sub][sub]*SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEE*[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy crap!, not only is Ninty entering the mobile craze, but they're bringing the big guns with it!.

I don't have an iPad (or anything iOS) and I'm pretty happy with Hearthstone on my PC, but I'm definitely curious to see how it'll perform over time.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
aw, it's not the gbc version

they need to bring some greatness to this generation

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
weirdee said:

Maybe the money they make from this will go towards a 3DS sequel.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
weirdee said:

I remember someone speaking about old Pokemon games in Youtube:

"How many kids wanted a game about an existing card game? (Pokémon Trading Card Game) Probably none... fun game.

How many kids wanted a game about taking pictures of Pokemon? (Pokemon Snap) Definitely none... fun game.

How many kids wanted a game about playing with your own Pokemon? (Hey you, Pikachu!) Every kid ever! Ballstatically boring game."

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
An yet I'm still waiting for a new Pokémon Trading Card Video Game for the 3DS or even Wii U. I loved the Game Boy Colour Pokémon TCG game, and it's a shame it never received a sequel... or at least a sequel which actually came out worldwide.

Looks like I'll still have to keep placing new Pokémon TCG game for 3DS on my E3 wishlist each year.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So, how long until they announce they'll be selling booster packs and premade decks in the app store? The physical trading card game model translates so well to a FTP iPad game that they have to be planning on DLC.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
So, how long until they announce they'll be selling booster packs and premade decks in the app store? The physical trading card game model translates so well to a FTP iPad game that they have to be planning on DLC.
Actually, as long as you can't buy individual cards, and are able to trade your double/triple etc cards on some kind of global trade system, then this could take off in a pretty big way.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Well, I don't have an iProduct, so this kind of sucks for me. I'm not sure how much I'd play it, but I'd try it.

Hairless Mammoth said:
*cough*

Players can acquire new cards for their decks by defeating the game's numerous NPC opponents. You can also import real-life cards purchased by redeeming their respective codes, or simply purchase digital cards directly from the service.
Emphasis mine.

They've already announced that you can purchase cards direct from the service. It's not even hidden.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I gave up the ghost about caring about the cards long ago. Still, does this make it the first Nintendo electronic property not hosted on their own hardware? There probably is an earlier precedent but I thought the previous games involving the cards were all Gameboy based. Good news for people who like tablets I guess.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
They've already announced that you can purchase cards direct from the service. It's not even hidden.
Sorry. It's 2 in the morning here. I reread the article trying to find it and completely missed that.

So, I ask some new questions, before my typing becomes as bad as my reading skills. How do they sell cards directly? Is it like what I said with booster packs and those premade decks? (I forgot their name. It's been nearly 15 years since I bought one.) Or, can you buy them individually? That would be bribing your way to victory if you could get the super strong pokemon and trainer cards without any luck, just by cracking open the wallet.
Gordon_4 said:
Actually, as long as you can't buy individual cards, and are able to trade your double/triple etc cards on some kind of global trade system, then this could take off in a pretty big way.
I guess I was off on the buying card part. But, yeah, if they didn't sell individual cards, they could create a good community for trading and battling just like the good old days when the teachers weren't looking.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Wait, Nintendo is releasing a game on a system other than theirs?

Colour me surprised!

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
So, I ask some new questions, before my typing becomes as bad as my reading skills. How do they sell cards directly? Is it like what I said with booster packs and those premade decks? (I forgot their name. It's been nearly 15 years since I bought one.) Or, can you buy them individually? That would be bribing your way to victory if you could get the super strong pokemon and trainer cards without any luck, just by cracking open the wallet.
Gordon_4 said:
I guess I was off on the buying card part. But, yeah, if they didn't sell individual cards, they could create a good community for trading and battling just like the good old days when the teachers weren't looking.
Well, assuming it runs just like the PC version, it'll likely be Booster Packs, Structure Decks, and that's it (well, ok, Avatar Customization). If they don't try and nickle&dime people, then you'll be able to earn In-Game Money to purchase stuff as well. Along with the codes that come in Booster Packs/Structure Decks to unlock cards online as well. (I would hope this is cross-account with PC).

On the main topic, I'm glad this is happening. I mean, I run Android, so I won't be using this App, but more people getting to enjoy the super-fun TCG the better. Not really the first Nintendo Game on a non-Nintendo console though, since, you know, PC. But yah, nice to see it on Mobile.

EDIT: *Derp*, meant to also comment in general about Trading. If, again, it's like the PC version, we should be able to trade cards online in a Marketplace of sorts. You can even trade Booster Packs for cards, which is nice.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
Any chance we could see this on Android? If so, I'm buying the hell out of this and never looking back.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
I've got to admit, this got me excited...for their being a legit Yu-Gi-Oh! App. Yes, I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh! guy. Or at least I was, until I wised up and realized how much money I was spending just trying to remain competitive. Man! Thinking about it now I realize that Yu-Gi-Oh! was my first experience with the "Pay to win" model that seems to be growing so prevalent in mobile gaming these days.

Between having to pay for the best cards to be competitive, and sitting thru a year of guys finding card combinations that exploited loops holes in the rules, until new rulings and/or cards could be released in the hopes of countering the current meta, only to have a new meta created which resulted in the cycle being repeated, and some broken/overpowered as hell cards that you'd be a fool to not use, I finally gave it up completely.

Still, I do get the itch to break out my shoe box full of cards and try to get caught up on the rules and gameplay every now and again. Never cared for pokemon, and if Yu-Gi-Oh does go mobile, they will nickel and dime the hell out of it. But, if there is a "play for free option" that allows me access to all of the cards, even if they make it inconvenient has hell to get them, I would likely be all over that. So I can get pokemon fans being excited about this.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Any news on who the official developer is? I'm interested in seeing how Nintendo will go about creating a game for a platform that they don't own.