pokemon that you wanna love but they fall short (suck)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let see-

Honchkrow had a weak defence.
Liepard was too weak.
Lucario has a weakness to fighting, its own type (since he's also metal type).
Serperior has a very lame move pools.
Jumpluff was too weak as it's more of a support type which isn't my thing.

And rock Pokemon are too slow for my liking. Yes it make sense they would be slow but I like to attack first and I ain't going to equip quick claw all the time.

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
Strain42 said:
"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
Well this is how I still play pokemon. I also can not remove my starter from my team, no matter what.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I want to say the whole roster in Gen 5.

Now, I know that there are some good Pokemon in Gen 5, but I feel like the reason they are there is to make up for the various other unlikable, unoriginal, and damn right cheap Pokemon. I feel like if the best of the best of Gen 5 where taken out of that roster and placed in a future Gen, then I would appreciate them even more because then they won't have the other sucky Pokemon weighing them down.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Shanicus said:
Scarim Coral said:
Let see-
Jumpluff was too weak as it's more of a support type which isn't my thing.
...you don't like Jumpluff? YOU DON'T LIKE JUMPLUFF????? HOW DARE YO-
Ok, it's kinda understandable all things considered, but... how can you not like

I mean, just look at him! So eager and ready to go! You'll never find another pokemon with Jumpluff's cheery attitude (and built in Pom-poms).
But all means I do love Jumpfluff since I used one back in the first Gold version. However when battling Jumpfluff moves were not as great. My other Pokemon were able to faint the opponent Pokemon with ease while Jumpfluff had some trouble and sometime fainted.
I was only later on I learn that Jumpfluff is more of a support type Pokemon and I'm the type who is more direct with his statergy (all I can say is that I would fail in the competitive side of battling as my Pokemon moves are mostly attack base moves).

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Charizard, Sandslash, Golem, Jolteon- actually, all of the Eeveelutions, Gengar, Executor....

Basically, a whole bunch of the Gen 1 pokes. Nostalgia at its finest.

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
Strain42 said:
"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
What I love about this quote is that all my favorites just so happen to be the strong ones.

OT: I think mine would have to be my Flareon. He always got shafted out of my Eeveelution party. I love Vaporeon's base HP stat, it makes him a tank. And Glaceon is a damn good ice type.

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
Danzavare said:
I've never played Pokemon PvP or looked into the stats so it's hard to say. I do often struggle to use normal type Pokemon effectively, particularly when it comes to the cat type Pokemon. I know Nidoking and Nidoqueen thrashed everything in yellow version, but they feel a lot more vulnerable in recent gens. I also get in a bit of trouble trying to make all-fire teams. Stupid HMs, always ruin my fun. -_-

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how a Ninetails generally does in PvP~? Is it any good~?
In 5th gen Ninetails is actually awesome, not one its own per say, but it is the only poke other then Groudon to get Drought (ie infinite sunny day) and as Groudon is a legendary/Uber you are not going to be using him in pvp very much... so if you like ninetails and other poke that like sunny day, Charizard, Venusaur, or anything that gets chlorophyll its a great way to go.

Shadowsetzer said:
Charizard, Sandslash, Golem, Jolteon- actually, all of the Eeveelutions, Gengar, Executor....

Basically, a whole bunch of the Gen 1 pokes. Nostalgia at its finest.
while I agree with the first three (i just dont really like Executor) Jolteon, vaporeon, and espeon are all very good, umbreon isnt as as vaporeon as a wall but is still good (I used him competitively for a while) and gengar has always been VERY good, he and starmie are the only 1st gen poke that have always had a high % of competitive usage, not to mention that gengar is just a BAMF.

for me Arcanine, Typhosion, Charizard, Mightyena, Rhydon & Rhyperior, Absol, Aggron, Sharpedo, Flygon, Marowak, Nidoking* and houndoom*

*although Houndoom isnt that bad, and Nidoking recently got a lot better.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
DBLT4P said:
Danzavare said:
I've never played Pokemon PvP or looked into the stats so it's hard to say. I do often struggle to use normal type Pokemon effectively, particularly when it comes to the cat type Pokemon. I know Nidoking and Nidoqueen thrashed everything in yellow version, but they feel a lot more vulnerable in recent gens. I also get in a bit of trouble trying to make all-fire teams. Stupid HMs, always ruin my fun. -_-

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how a Ninetails generally does in PvP~? Is it any good~?
In 5th gen Ninetails is actually awesome, not one its own per say, but it is the only poke other then Groudon to get Drought (ie infinite sunny day) and as Groudon is a legendary/Uber you are not going to be using him in pvp very much... so if you like ninetails and other poke that like sunny day, Charizard, Venusaur, or anything that gets chlorophyll its a great way to go.
Brilliant, thank you for the advice~! I'm looking into playing a bit more Pokemon on my upcoming holiday, so I'll keep that in mind when picking my team.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I feel that aerodactyl is just not worth the effort of training as it has far too many weaknesses and other than filling it's slot in the pokedex I never really use it.

Edit: One the other side of the coin, I really feel that Muk is terribly underrated.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Skylare said:
edit: gyarados is better then i thought i retract it. It's a awesome pokemon :p
Good thing you added that, seeing as gyarados is my fav pokemon I was about to write a tl dr about how awesome mine was :p

Anyhows, OT: Scyther.

When i was a kid something about its design and its portrayal in the cartoon appealed to me, prob cos it seemed like a fast agile pokemon who would specialize in bladed hit and run attacks.

In game (pokemon blue/red, never played past those) it was absolute garbage though. Speedwise it was "ok" but definitly outpaced by most speedy pokemon, its attack and defence were middling at best and even its special moves (a speedup if i recall) weren't much of use in actual battles. There was no redeeming qualities for this pokemon that I could found :|

To make things worst, being a bug/flying type without good bug/flying abilities meant I couldn't even justify using scyther in my group composition. So yeh easily the most uncompetitive pokemon i ever used.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Pidgeot looks so awesome, but...

Every time I use one, by the time I reach the elite four it's little more than useless. I have a habit of having my pokemon underlevelled for the elite four (doesn't matter too much though, I will have so much money that I just abuse items and beat them on my first try). Actually, come to think about it, in-game, Archeops (gen 5) is the only flying pokemon I have ever actually found useful against the elite four. I guess when I used fearow in gen 3 that was pretty nice too, but archeops is on another level.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Scizor is a great pokemon with great moves but because its steel/bug type, fire types completly screw you over.

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
xplosive59 said:
tobi the good boy said:
xplosive59 said:
Scizor is a great pokemon with great moves but because its steel/bug type, fire types completly screw you over.
You don't play competitively do you?
Not at all, no.
Since Platinum came out Scizor has consistently been the 1st or 2nd most competitively used pokemon... It gets technician + bullet punch, plus an awesome base attack stat, only one weakness, and many resistances.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
DBLT4P said:
xplosive59 said:
tobi the good boy said:
xplosive59 said:
You don't play competitively do you?
Not at all, no.
Since Platinum came out Scizor has consistently been the 1st or 2nd most competitively used pokemon... It gets technician + bullet punch, plus an awesome base attack stat, only one weakness, and many resistances.
Don't forget he makes an excellent pursuit trapper. People worried about:

Simply don't have a decent resist or flash fire pokemon.