Pokemon Uranium, AM2R Removed From The Game Award's "Best Fan Creation" List

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon Uranium, AM2R Removed From The Game Award's "Best Fan Creation" List

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1362/1362562.png
Both games removed from the nominee list are based on Nintendo properties.

One of the catagories in the upcoming Game Awards [http://thegameawards.com/nominees/] is "best fan creation," - which honors the coolest fan-made mods, add-ons or completely new games of the year. This year, the list of nominees is strangely small, with only Brutal Doom 64 and Enderal: The Shards of Order listed. That's because two fan creations were myseteriously dropped from the nominee list over the weekend: Pokemon Uranium and AM2R.

For the uninitiated, Pokemon Uranium is a PC Pokemon fan game, while Project AM2R [http://metroid2remake.blogspot.jp/] is a fan remake of Metroid 2. Both games are based on Nintendo properties and the leading rumor at this point is that Nintendo, who have supported The Game Awards in the past, has asked the awards show to remove the nominees.

We've reached out to some of the relative parties: Nintendo, and the developers of the two fan games, to try and clear things up.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1318008&page=1]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Damnit Nintendo...don't be a dick about about this. If it is you, it's a sure fine way to alienate your most valuable fans.in spectacular fashion.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, basically, Nintendo unleashed its metroids to suck the lifeforce out of the event, forcing the uranium to go nuclear, in brutal fashion, dooming any chance of order?

...what? Just because Nintendo's being scummy doesn't mean I can't resort to bad puns. ^_^

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Let's not jump to conclusions. We don't know for sure that Nintendo's responsible for this. ...although that does seem likely. If I recall they did try and shut down both those projects.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Canadamus Prime said:
Let's not jump to conclusions. We don't know for sure that Nintendo's responsible for this. ...although that does seem likely. If I recall they did try and shut down both those projects.
Yeah. If you ask me the makers of the modders asked Game Awards to drop their own game off the list.

You know what they say, nail that stands out get THE HAMMER. Always have to fly under the Nintendo cease and desist radar.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Is anyone actually surprised about this? Nintendo's dicketry has been well-documented going back not just years but decades, whether against their own fans or fellow developers and publishers. At this point, if Nintendo didn't act like jerks, I'd actually be suprised. All games companies have done dumb and petty stuff in the past, but Nintendo is the only one that really seems to get a free pass no matter what they do and how often they do it. Well, maybe also Valve.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Did Nintendo just do a FucKonami?

They did!

Well i guess it's time for a new news program: FuckNintendo.

bluefiresword

Nov 12, 2009
Ninten-no fun allowed.
Seriously. My wiiu and Wii have basically seen no play in their whole lifespans beyond small spans of time with smash and xenoblade chronicles and xenoblade chronicles X. I really loved nintendo growing up and I still enjoy their handheld stuff, but man they are not a company I like as a company. Between this shit and their youtube practices, they really do a great job of alienating their fan base

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Well, basically called it:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.944538.23836807

Maybe in my lifetime I will experience a Nintendo that supports fan-driven-initiatives! (remember when they tried to stop SSBM from EVO?)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zulnam said:
Did Nintendo just do a FucKonami?

They did!

Well i guess it's time for a new news program: FuckNintendo.
And I am gonna be the contrarian to counter all these "FUCKNINTENDO" shit just because your precious fangame is not getting an award.

The "fans" made this without Nintendo's premission and I don't care if they released it for free, Nintendo is still selling the original Metroid 2 in their virtual console so people buying the remake for free is gonna take away sales from the virtual console Metroid 2.

There now I stopped making this thread an anti nintendo echo chamber.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
It's simply not worth being a Nintendo fan anymore. I jumped from that boat long ago.

No way I will waste my time with tributes to a company ruled by desiccated, dusty mummies out of their time.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
And I am gonna be the contrarian to counter all these "FUCKNINTENDO" shit just because your precious fangame is not getting an award.

The "fans" made this without Nintendo's premission and I don't care if they released it for free, Nintendo is still selling the original Metroid 2 in their virtual console so people buying the remake for free is gonna take away sales from the virtual console Metroid 2.

And?

How exactly does that stop them from being like Konami?
Konami was also absolutely entitled to do all the shit they did. Didn't mean they weren't buttholes.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Dornedas said:
Samtemdo8 said:

And?

Konami was also absolutely entitled to do all the shit they did. Didn't mean they weren't buttholes.
Because they are in the right, it is their property.

And it does help when people act like spoiled children when they don't get what they want. Just calls them buttholes.

And this is another story entirely but I am tired of this AAA publisher bashing. I was once like you guys but than something changed in me.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Dornedas said:
Samtemdo8 said:

And?

And it does help when people act like spoiled children when they don't get what they want. Just calls them buttholes.

And this is another story entirely but I am tired of this AAA publisher bashing. I was once like you guys but than something changed in me.
I hear you on the AAA bashing getting annoying, but with so few big companies left still doing this killing of fan made projects, people have the right to call it out. Sega used to do this kind of stuff, then they realized that it made them unpopular and started working with these creators. Its how we're getting Sonic Mania. Hell, Sega just opened up modding on the PC version of their Sega Classics titles and said go nuts.

Whether its Sony severely limiting what kind of mods Fallout 4 can use on the PS4 or Nintendo blocking fan titles (including the best Metroid title made in almost 10 years) calling out companies for continuing this needless blockage of appreciation of their own works is sad.

Its not doing them any favours with the position they're in. Had they simply pulled a Sega and bought AM2R (which would have been cheaper than them making a Metroid game" and sold it as a Switch Launch title, they would have gotten some great press. Fearing that a 2 person team is going to hurt your corporate bottom line shows that these companies can be undone and outdone by amateur work on their own franchises.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Dornedas said:
Samtemdo8 said:

And?

I was going to say that that it's their right to protect their property to be used in other games without their permission; but taking them out of videogame awards isn't. But I just realized that Reggie Fils-Aime is member of the awards advisory board (along with the executives of Activision, AMD, Microsoft, Rockstar Games, Sony, Telltale, Ubisoft, Valve and WB). Supposedly the advisory board is not involved in the selection of nominees or winners [http://thegameawards.com/about/]; but now we see how much of a joke these Awards really are.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Dornedas said:
Samtemdo8 said:

And?

I was going to say that that it's their right to protect their property to be used in other games without their permission; but taking them out of videogame awards isn't. But I just realized that Reggie Fils-Aime is member of the awards advisory board (along with the executives of Activision, AMD, Microsoft, Rockstar Games, Sony, Telltale, Ubisoft, Valve and WB). Supposedly the advisory board is not involved in the selection of nominees or winners [http://thegameawards.com/about/]; but now we see how much of a joke these Awards really are.
Exactly I learned best game of the year means nothing at this point. Its all about personal preference.

So far Total War: Warhammer is my game of the year but sadly I doubt its even gonna be included.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
So what's the reasoning for Pokemon Uranium? It's not a remake, it wouldn't have impacted the sales of official Pokemon games. It's a fan made region, fan made Pokemon, fan made story. It's basically fanfiction in game format.