Pokemon World Championship Qualifiers Begin in May

Will Lloyd-Reilley

Mar 26, 2010
cpt blackamar said:
I have no problem with the legendarys being allowed in. I can remember playing double battles with my friend, he was always changing his lineup daily, always revolving around various forms of legendary and powerful pokemon, while my lineup stayed the same all the way through the month, and I didn't loose once (and he was using higher level pokemin with an average of 5 higher by the end) because I worked out what elements and powers combine well. The best opening I could do was kyrogue (rain thing) and manetric (lightning rod-draws all electric attacks), meaning I could bombard with garunteed hit thunder from both of them, while he couldn't use the rain against me as he would only hit my dog.
Kyogre... yep no powerful pokemon on that team.

+1 player of shoddy battle, and yeah ubers is annoying, but necessary because most players just raise pokemon they like and would be upset to find out that nope they're not allowed to use they're Ho-oh or whatever because its "too good."

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
John Funk said:
Pokemon World Championship Qualifiers Begin in May

It's time to break out your prized Pokémon and prove that you're the very best in the world - like no one ever was.

One of the great things about the Pokémon games is that they can appeal to two very different audiences. For casual players and kids, you can blow through the Gym Leaders and Elite Four with just your level 70 Charizard if you so choose - but for people who want to take the game to a different level, there's a surprisingly deep strategic and stat-building game beneath the surface.

That second game is the one that you'll want to bring to the Pokémon Video Game Championships: This week, The Pokémon Company announced the next season of its yearly worldwide competition, including tournament dates, locations, and more.

The U.S. Regional Qualifiers will begin on Saturday, May 8th in Seattle - the home base for all things Pokémon Company in the States - and travel all across the country. Similar qualifying tournaments will be held concurrently around the world in Japan, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Spain.

Interestingly enough, thanks to the release of the wildly popular HeartGold and SoulSilver, the league will be now allowing legendary Pokémon into the competition. So even if you'd rather take on all comers with your team of meticulously EV trained Rattatas (in which case, screw you and stop calling me, Joey) you might want to consider the fact that they'll probably be up against the likes of Mewtwo, Rayquaza, and the Pokémon God Arceus.

Which could be a bit of an unfair fight - just sayin', is all.

The tournament dates and locations are below:

[blockquote](US):
May 8, Seattle, WA - Seattle Center Exhibition Hall
May 15, San Francisco, CA - San Mateo County Event Center
May 22, Phoenix, AZ - Phoenix Convention Center
May 29, Dallas, TX - Arlington Convention Center
June 5, Atlanta, GA - Gwinnett Center
June 12, New York, NY - Meadowlands Exposition Center
June 25, Indianapolis, IN* - Indianapolis Convention Center
*Last Chance Qualifier for Nationals

(Europe):
May 29, Birmingham, United Kingdom - National Exhibition Center
June 5, Cologne, Germany - Pullman Hotel
June 12, Lyon, France - Cité Centre de Congrès
June 19, Madrid, Spain - IFEMA Feria de Madrid

World Championships:
August 13, Kona, HI** - Hilton Waikoloa Village
**Last Chance Qualifier for World Championships[/blockquote]

"The return of the Pokémon Video Game Championship season allows Pokémon Trainers everywhere to join in and be part of the fun and excitement that Pokémon is known for," said J.C. Smith, director of consumer marketing for The Pokémon Company International. "This year we're increasing the number of tournaments and are implementing new rules to ensure some of the most fast-paced, exhilarating, and entertaining matches that the Pokémon Video Game Championships have ever seen."

Everyone who brings a copy of HeartGold and/or SoulSilver to the events will get a special event-only Pokémon: A special "shiny" Eevee that is a different color from those normally found in the game.

Dude. Shiny Eevee. Do want!

Wait, but how will they filter out who competes and who doesnt? Also, which games are allowed? Only HG & SS?

EDIT: Also, double or single battles?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Yeah, I'd like a little more info too. I know I'd lose but it would be kind of fun to go and meet a bunch of people that like the game. I mean heck, I'm sure that that those of us that lose right off the bat would enjoy fighting each other aftewards :D

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
danpascooch said:
tomtom94 said:
The fact it allows in legendaries is a bit rubbish, as is the fact it's in Birmingham for the UK people.

Not that I was considering entering >_>

I think though, as publicity stunts go, this isn't bad, and the champion will probably be a worthy one.
or possibly just a lucky person with six random legendaries. Who knows.
Wait, they allow ALL legendaries? What a load of crap! The Ubers should be banned, the same pokemon banned from the battle frontier should be banned here
Only the legendaries that are atainable in G/S, so Mewtwo, zapdos etc etc, but only two from that list of legendaries, wheras Arceus Deoxys and the event exclusive ones are not allowed at any time.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Bah, they're letting legends into this comp? Well, I'm not taking part then.

I mean, what were they thinking?

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
urgh76 said:
Wait, but how will they filter out who competes and who doesnt? Also, which games are allowed? Only HG & SS?

EDIT: Also, double or single battles?
You register for slots in the competition. For the senior bracket (13 and up), they are allowing 768 players in America, 256 in Europe. It's first come first serve. Double battles with 4 total per team. Any level is legal, but anything above 50 will be lowered, like the Battle Tower. Can only use one of any Pokemon, and one of any item. If you use Latios or Latias no Soul Dew. You have to use Heart Gold or Soul Silver.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
I don't think i would drive to germany just for that tournament. Since i don't do any special training for my pokemon so far and haven't really looked into EV/IV/other advanced crap i would probably lose. And if they only allow the first 256 players i bet the places are already taken anyways.

SilvanTyl

Dec 8, 2009
I really don't have the patience to play Pokemon competitively. A team would have to be min/maxed up to the eyeballs to even have a chance of surviving.

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
night_chrono said:
http://projectpokemon.org/editing/pokesav/

can make "legit" pokemon.

randommaster said:
The uber tier has its own metagame, so there's still strategy involved. At least all legal Arceus can't be EV trained.
Yes they can. The items aside, you can EV train a level 100 by having it battle a pokemon with the required EV's, depositing it and withdrawing it. It's slow, but works.
wait there stats still go up?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I would enter but A) I don't want to go to Birmingham B) I only have a GBC with gold/silver C) I would fail D) People would think I was strange(er)

although in the right hands my team could do very well. Very well indeed. Just not my hands.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
Plazmatic said:
night_chrono said:
http://projectpokemon.org/editing/pokesav/

can make "legit" pokemon.

randommaster said:
The uber tier has its own metagame, so there's still strategy involved. At least all legal Arceus can't be EV trained.
Yes they can. The items aside, you can EV train a level 100 by having it battle a pokemon with the required EV's, depositing it and withdrawing it. It's slow, but works.
wait there stats still go up?
yes

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
tomtom94 said:
The fact it allows in legendaries is a bit rubbish, as is the fact it's in Birmingham for the UK people.
Birmingham is in the centre of the UK, apart from being full of Brummies it's a great location. Far better than everything being set in London effectively barring half the country through distance.

Southern bias pisses me off. It's always the southerners on XBL with the loudest mouths. They genuinely believe they are superior because they live in some shit, run down, estate in London.

I've not played a pokemon title in ages. It's a bit obsessive for me the training for competative play. Taking a team from level 1 to be the strongest possible, evolving at the right level... sounds too much like work, I have a real job that pays for that. I want to have fun in my spare time.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Zeithri said:
tomtom94 said:

I think though, as publicity stunts go, this isn't bad, and the champion will probably be a worthy one.
Actually that's an amazing thing.
The most stupidest thing I've ever heard about is how they ban Legendaries from these events.
Then what's the f*cking point of even HAVING legendaries in the game? <_< I mean, let everyone have Pidgeys and Ratattas only and BAN everything else then.

That's what I say.
Legendaries give kids a sense of achievement, and bragging rights.
The tournaments aren't looking for people who can catch legendaries. They're looking for good battlers.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Zeithri said:
tomtom94 said:
Zeithri said:
tomtom94 said:

Actually that's an amazing thing.
The most stupidest thing I've ever heard about is how they ban Legendaries from these events.
Then what's the f*cking point of even HAVING legendaries in the game? <_< I mean, let everyone have Pidgeys and Ratattas only and BAN everything else then.

That's what I say.
Legendaries give kids a sense of achievement, and bragging rights.
The tournaments aren't looking for people who can catch legendaries. They're looking for good battlers.
Just because you have a legendary doesn't mean you're an unstoppable avalanche.
It does when you're ten years old.