Pokemon X and Y Fossil Evolutions Revealed

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Pokemon X and Y Fossil Evolutions Revealed

Both of our baby dinosaur friends are growing up.

The Pokemon Company had already revealed several of the new Pokemon to X and Y on the official website, including the two fossil Pokemon, Tyrunt and Amaura. In an update today, the company showed the evolved forms of both Pokemon.

Tyrantrum, evolved from Tyrunt, was a powerful Pokemon 100 million years ago -- it's even characterized as a Despot Pokemon -- and has a powerful jaw. Both Tyrunt and Tyrantrum have the ability Strong Jaw, which strengthens biting moves like crunch. Like its previous form, Tyrantrum is a rock/dragon-type Pokemon. It also knows the move Head Smash, which is a powerful rock-type move with some recoil.

Amaura evolves into Aurorus, the tundra Pokemon. The rock/ice-type Pokemon knows Refrigerate, which causes normal-type moves used by the Pokemon to become ice-type. Aurorus can learn Freeze-Dry, a new ice move that can freeze the opponent. Freeze-Dry is super effective on water Pokemon, which are typically resistant to ice-type moves.

Like always, as a trainer you can only pick one of the fossil Pokemon.

The official Pokemon X and Y site also includes information on many other new Pokemon. Furfrou, the poodle Pokemon, can have its appearance changed by grooming it. Meowstic is a psychic Pokemon with two different forms depending on its gender. Male Meowstic provide support while female Meowstic are more physically aggressive. Modeled off of lions, the little Litleo evolves into Pyroar, who grows a mane if male. Skiddo and Gogoat can carry trainers on their backs.

These are only a few of the many new Pokemon coming to X and Y, and the PokeDex is only going to keep growing.

Source: Pokemon X and Y [http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/other_pokemon/#Tyrunt]

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Well, that decided which fossil I'm going to get when this comes out.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Real late on this one my friend.

The new evolutions were literally revealed around last week.
I suggest you keep up to date with Bulbapedia or Serebii on these things. The official sites tend to take a while to get the information that's already leaked.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Dragonbums said:
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought.
I like Tyrantrum, but at the same time I like Aurorus' special ability.
This might be a coin flip for me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Dragonbums said:

I suggest you keep up to date with Bulbapedia or Serebii on these things. The official sites tend to take a while to get the information that's already leaked.
Does that make it any less worth reporting on?

Especially since, as is often pointed out to the detractors of unconfirmed new Pokemon designs, many Pokemon fans are remarkably talented at imitating Sugimori's style and coming up with their own designs?

People get uppity when The Escapist reports on rumors and leaks, and they get uppity when they report on something a week later than everyone else. Can't you just express any potential excitement you have for the news, instead of being all negative?

OT: I think the frills around Tyrantrum's neck are a bit unnecessary, but I actually quite like that design, which is something I haven't been able to say since Zoroark (which was one of the few from Black/White that I liked).

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
"People get uppity when The Escapist reports on rumors and leaks, and they get uppity when they report on something a week later than everyone else."

Well, you have a point, this was the day that Nintendo officially announced the new pokemon on its website. While I can't speak for Dragonbums. I can't help but think this news was a bit on the late side, but that doesn't mean it's not worth discussing it's just something to be pointed out.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I do like Tyrantrum/ Tyrunt but I probably picked Amaura/ Aurorus since I can easily see Tyrantrum/ Tyrunt having slow speed (I don't like slow Pokemon when it come to stats wise). In saying so most fossil Pokemons tend to be slow anyway.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Story said:
Well, you have a point, this was the day that Nintendo officially announced the new pokemon on its website. While I can't speak for Dragonbums. I can't help but think this news was a bit on the late side, but that doesn't mean it's not worth discussing it's just something to be pointed out.
Still, there's a difference between pointing it out and making your entire post about how late the website was in reporting on something.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
many Pokemon fans are remarkably talented at imitating Sugimori's style and coming up with their own designs?
I would really not agree with this, while many fans really like the designs of a lot of fan pokemon most of them look like digimon (I don't mean that as a insult I just mean the style is closer to that of a digimon), then again the yet to be officially announced tree pokemon looks more like a digimon then a pokemon. Most of the rest of the time it looks niehter like digimon or pokemon and then you get the really rare occasion were it looks like a pokemon.

OT: Aurorus is now next to abomnasnow as incredibility badass pokemon with a type mix that makes it almost unusable even as just a casual pokemon to train.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm okay with just having a weekly Pokemon dump because it's easier for me to do that than camp serebii

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Oh Escapist, late on the PokeNews and getting several tidbits wrong as always.

* Moves, abilities, species name, and types are proper nouns, so you have to capitalize the first letter.
* Refrigerate is Aurorus' ability, not a move it learns.
* Gender differences aren't forms. Forms aren't gender based whatsoever.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Rock/Dragon with de facto STAB crunch?

Unless he's completely screwed in the stats department, that's an easy OU right there. He's basically Tyranitar with a third type instead of weather.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Really nice to see sexual dimorphism in Pokemon. Also nice to see it doesn't seem to be following stereotypes. I'm actually really looking forward to this :L

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Wow, this gen has some really nice designs in it- Pyroar especially looks totally awesome (I still think adding a fairy type Eeveelution is pretty weak though). I might have to get this one, not that I've not bought any Pokemon games since gen 2 because I didn't want them (I haven't had enough money), but this one looks especially cool.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Amaura is cute and I like Ice Pokemon, but Tyrantrum looks like it has a beard so I'm going to pick that one instead.
Also, I think Furfrou looks better without being groomed, so I won't do that. I hope that's not going to upset it or anything.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
SonofaJohannes said:
Amaura is cute and I like Ice Pokemon, but Tyrantrum looks like it has a beard so I'm going to pick that one instead.
Also, I think Furfrou looks better without being groomed, so I won't do that. I hope that's not going to upset it or anything.
Is the dog going to give you sass? :p

I'm looking forward to the release now. I even have half a line-up in mind already, what with badass pandas and T-rexes.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
SonofaJohannes said:
You know, the first thing i thought when i saw that picture was "Is that a T-rex with a goddamn beard?" To my eternal glee, yes. yes it was. If only he had a handlebar mustache as well, then he'd be my surefire choice.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well, that was slow of you, Escapist...an "update today"? I'm pretty sure this is a day or two old. Even so, my thoughts are the same as they were a couple days ago, pretty cool stuff.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Dragonbums said:

Does that make it any less worth reporting on?

Especially since, as is often pointed out to the detractors of unconfirmed new Pokemon designs, many Pokemon fans are remarkably talented at imitating Sugimori's style and coming up with their own designs?

People get uppity when The Escapist reports on rumors and leaks, and they get uppity when they report on something a week later than everyone else. Can't you just express any potential excitement you have for the news, instead of being all negative?

OT: I think the frills around Tyrantrum's neck are a bit unnecessary, but I actually quite like that design, which is something I haven't been able to say since Zoroark (which was one of the few from Black/White that I liked).
My excitement already came and gone when they revealed them last week. Hence why they are late with the news
I'm even think the Facebook Pokemon page revealed them before this article.

Furthermore, Bulbapedia, and Serebii are notorious to Pokemon fans everywhere for never posting anything unofficial on their website. All speculations are regulated to chat logs. If it's not on the front page, it's not official.
On that note, yes, a lot of people do imitate fakemon. Those tend to get shot down within the first...5 hours of it's release on the internet.
Also, they are increasingly failing at keeping up with Sugimori's design aesthetics.