Pokemon X and Y Guide for Beginners - Tips and Cheats

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012

So you?ve never played Pokémon before. Or you?ve played, but its been years, and now you want to get back in. Good! Now is the best time, because Pokémon X and Y are both great and beginner friendly.

Read Full Article

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
JonB said:
Further, your Pokémon can only be trained so many times, so don't train your favorites until you've unlocked the best trainings - Level 3. Likewise, save your Large Punching Bags for your favorite monsters.
I'm pretty sure this isn't true. You're only limited by the number of points you gain, so the third-tier training and large bags will just get you there *faster*.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
JarinArenos said:
JonB said:
Further, your Pokémon can only be trained so many times, so don't train your favorites until you've unlocked the best trainings - Level 3. Likewise, save your Large Punching Bags for your favorite monsters.
I'm pretty sure this isn't true. You're only limited by the number of points you gain, so the third-tier training and large bags will just get you there *faster*.
You're completely correct. I struggled with finding a good way to word this, and sort-of failed. Ah, well. Onward!

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
JonB said:

So you?ve never played Pokémon before. Or you?ve played, but its been years, and now you want to get back in. Good! Now is the best time, because Pokémon X and Y are both great and beginner friendly.

Read Full Article
Just finished reading your article plenty of useful tips but what of the promised cheats?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
JonB said:
JarinArenos said:
JonB said:
You're completely correct. I struggled with finding a good way to word this, and sort-of failed. Ah, well. Onward!
For the fastest trainig, using vitamins for the first 100 EVs of each stat is the way to go. It makes your pokemon able to do the second tier training in under 20 seconds and after a couple of those you'll be able to get your pokemon to do the third tier in a good time too.

What you wanna do is ALWAYS hit the target time since this is what defines how good of a trainig bag reward you'll get so if you're taking too long with tier 3 training there's nothing wrong with doing tier 2.

Also! Don't forget to mention the Reset Bag. It is a bag which erases ALL EVs, it is useful in re-training in-game pokemon that you wish to use competitively but couldn't in the past due to their random EV spread.

All in all, I like this article, I kinda wish the review was more like this but better late than never. :D
Caramel Frappe said:
I'm planning on getting Pokemon X or Y and this guide was really useful in my opinion.

Even though I knew the basics, and how states/types worked... some things did cross me which I have not heard of like ever. For example, capturing pokemon now helps level your team's experience? A friend follows you somewhat early for awhile healing your Pokemon after every battle?

Not to mention that even if it didn't affect your chances of victories- interacting with your pokemon and getting to play/feed them is a welcome feature in my book. So I really look forward to this, good introduction indeed for us veterans lol.
The healing thing is just the very first forest which is like a tutorial area and in which you have no pokemon other than the starter. It's not like this for the entire game lol.

As for the experience, it's just the new exp share. It's not a held item any more, it's a key item which instantly gives half of your active poke's ex to everything else, without actually halving the exp the active poke gets. It's super broken and allows you to have like 15 pokemon eligible for use at all times later on. (or one team that is like 30 levels overleveled and makes everything too easy)

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
If you max out your Pokemon's affection in Pokemon Amie you get lots of extra battle benefits. They have a chance to kick off status' on their own because they don't want you to worry, do extra critical hits because they like you so much, and maybe hang on with one hit point when they otherwise would have fainted just because they want to keep fighting for their beloved trainer. You also get boosted experience as you level.

It isn't just a cool little addon, it's one of the best new additions to the battle system and it really feels like you're working together with your Pokemon.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I find getting a mix team of 6 Pokemon with mixed attack moves is the best for clearing through the story-side of the game.
Get pure attack moves. Ignore buff/debuffs affects and to an extent status. The best way to defeat the AI is through nuking. Nuking through the Rock-Paper-Scissors. Most Pokemon can learn 3 different element type attacks.

When you've completed the story is when to consider buffs/debuffs. Status affects (sleep/paralyse is very useful for hunting Pokemon).

The reason why I like running through the story is that afterwards, I have a team of 6 high level Pokemon which I can use to power-level any particular Pokemon.
For example, right now I have a Frogninja, a Embertalon and a Burningchicken boosting Pokemon I am levelling.

You can visit an NPC with a heart scale to relearn any moves your Pokemon once knew (if you want to get back any buffs/debuffs/status changes).
-
Pokerus gives your pokemon bonus exp.
Pokemon originally from other trainers/events get bonus exp.
GET THE EVENT TORCHICK.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Does this game really need a guide? I have no first hand experience but my younger sister (who is a huge pokemon fan) has been frequently complaining about how laughably easy X&Y are even by Pokemon standards, and she is normally quite terrible at videogames. I know that thanks to the new way EXP share works she has multiple third stage pokemon even though she hasn't been playing that long, and apparently they literally hand out legendaries now.

Kerric

Jul 28, 2012
I have a question for experienced player/parents: my nine year old daughter loves the pokemon cartoon, and has stuffed pokemon animals. However, she has never played any pokemon game, and is not that good at video games (especially those that require dexterity). Would you recommend getting this game? Would an earlier version be better? What hardware would you recommend? We only play PC games in our house and a few Wii games. She likes designing Spore creatures and playing some games on Andkon, but has little other gaming experience.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Kerric said:
I have a question for experienced player/parents: my nine year old daughter loves the pokemon cartoon, and has stuffed pokemon animals. However, she has never played any pokemon game, and is not that good at video games (especially those that require dexterity). Would you recommend getting this game? Would an earlier version be better? What hardware would you recommend? We only play PC games in our house and a few Wii games. She likes designing Spore creatures and playing some games on Andkon, but has little other gaming experience.

Thanks for any advice you can give!
I'm not a parent, but I have been playing Pokemon since my parents gave me Red version some 15 years ago so I'll see if I can answer your questions.

As far as requiring dexterity, that is basically a non-issue with any Pokemon game. All the battles are turned based with you selecting moves from a menu. Outside of battle there is really nothing that requires any use of reflexes or timing, just walking around the world and interacting with things.

All the games follow the easy to learn, hard to master school of video games so really anyone can play them. Despite the large adult fan base, they are still primary made with children as the target audience, so I wouldn't expect your daughter to have any trouble.

I don't think there would be really any difference between getting this, or any of the DS versions in terms if being any easier to play. The things I would keep in mind is that the older games aren't compatible with the newer ones for trading and battling so if she has friends who play she can't interact with them. Also the new games have a feature when you can play with the Pokemon like a virtual pet, scratch them, feed them stuff like that which may be appealing to your daughter.

Finally as far as hardware if you do not have a 3DS and you want the new games you can get a 2DS for a fair bit cheaper. It just doesn't have the 3D function which isn't an issue with X and Y as only the battles can be seen in 3D and it isn't an impressive effect anyway.

That's pretty much all I can think of. I hope that I helped. If you have any specific questions don't be afraid to ask.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
major_chaos said:
Does this game really need a guide? I have no first hand experience but my younger sister (who is a huge pokemon fan) has been frequently complaining about how laughably easy X&Y are even by Pokemon standards, and she is normally quite terrible at videogames. I know that thanks to the new way EXP share works she has multiple third stage pokemon even though she hasn't been playing that long, and apparently they literally hand out legendaries now.

Guide is needed for 2 things. Missable things that you never knew was there or that have an obtuse puzzle about them (which never are actually "needed" to beat anything) and competitive metagame stuff which is only relevant if you want to play against other human opponents who partake in aforementioned metagame and would spend hours upon hours hatching eggs so that they will get their pokemon to have 31 speed instead of 30 speed.