Pokken Tournament Aimed at Adults, May Come Stateside

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokken Tournament Aimed at Adults, May Come Stateside

Pokemon Company president Tsunekazu Ishihara says that Pokken Tournament is a game aimed at the adults who grew up with the original games.

You may have heard of Pokken Tournament [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokken%20tournament?os=%20pokken%20tournament], the strange, arcade-only Pokemon fighting game being developed in a collaboration between Nintendo and Tekken publisher Bandai Namco. It's a very different type of Pokemon game, not just in genre, but also in visual style, and that's completely intentional according to Pokemon Company president Tsunekazu Ishihara. Ishihara explains that Pokken Tournament isn't being made to appeal to children, but to those adults who grew up with the original Red and Blue games.

"Considering that many of the people in the generation who experienced Red and Green are now nearing their thirties, and those who were in elementary school then are now in university, we aimed to make a game for those who grew up playing Pokemon-rather than just target children," Ishihara said in an interview with Japanese TV program NHK World. "The bottom line is, we want to show adults that this is the new Pokemon, and get them to play."

Namco's Katsuhiro Harada also piped up to talk a bit about the challenges of making an arcade-exclusive title in this day and age. While not quite in the dire straits of America's arcade scene, Japan's scene has been struggling more and more these days, as more and more gamers are preferring to play in the comfort of their own homes.

"Players can quit a game after just one try if they find it boring," he says. "Seeing people quit after spending a hundred yen or even watching them play from behind and hearing their reactions firsthand can be very tough. There've been countless games that have been unable to re-coup their production costs after customers say things like 'this is not fun' or 'this isn't good at all!' I mean, it's all for nothing if nobody wants to play, even after spending a stupendous amount of money to develop the software, to cover the cost of the expense of the chassis, and the costly system that serves as the base. It can really be an unforgiving market."

To combat this, Harada designed the game with the strange-yet-familar controller [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139588-Pokken-Tournament-Gets-Pikachu-Gardevoir-and-Suicune-As-New-Fighters] we saw revealed earlier in the year. "Envisioning that our customers were Pokemon fans and maybe new to arcade games, we decided to forego the usual buttons-and-joystick approach common to arcade games, and opted for a controller people would be familiar with from home gaming, with the D-Pad, four buttons, and the L and R buttons," says Harada. "When they visit an arcade and see this controller, even those who play at home-which is now the trend-might just think 'I can play this one'."

Finally, Ishihara was positive about a localization of the game in the west, stating that "I think the possibility definitely exists."

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/08/pokken-tournament-being-considered-for-western-release/]

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
One step forward!
Next up this needs to translate into the console and we're good to go :D
I definitely want to try this one at some point, no matter how it's played.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Red and green? But...you said red and blue at first! ;)
Ot: This is looking more interesting than originally expected. But I would hope they do not skimp on the characters though.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Xsjadoblayde said:
Red and green? But...you said red and blue at first! ;)
Ot: This is looking more interesting than originally expected. But I would hope they do not skimp on the characters though.
I had red, green,blue and Yellow tho xD

OT: I'd be more suprised if it didn't pokemon is strong everywhere that's alot of money to miss on

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
So far the fighters revealed are...

Charizard
Pikachu
Lucario

Machamp
Gengar
Suicune
Gardevoir
Weavile

*sigh* I'm hoping Raichu can be in this game somewhere, half of its move pool screams "fighting game" but it's always overshadowed by it's smaller yellow rat pre-evolution. Three of eight are already in Super Smash, I want some fresh faces, Dragonite rather than Charizard, Zoroark instead of Lucario, ext

Almost 700 Pokemon and they're only using the same ones over and over again.
(That being said, I have absolutely no complaints about machap, gengar, suicune, gardevoir or weavile, I'm just hoping this is going to be a large cast to choose from).

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Eclipse Dragon said:
So far the fighters revealed are...
*sigh* I'm hoping Raichu can be in this game somewhere, half of its move pool screams "fighting game" but it's always overshadowed by it's smaller yellow rat pre-evolution.
You and me both. Raichu needs more love.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Now. If you could just take this adult thing and translate that over to the handheld games...

kirwan464

Aug 9, 2013
pokemon appeals to everyone, no matter the age, it would make far more sense to use this graphical style and make a proper pokemon game for the wii u.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
kirwan464 said:
pokemon appeals to everyone, no matter the age, it would make far more sense to use this graphical style and make a proper pokemon game for the wii u.
Indeed. With X/Y and OR/AS, I think we're about due for a Stadium/Colosseum, so we can watch the battles play out in glorious HD.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Ishihara explains that Pokken Tournament isn't being made to appeal to children, but to those adults who grew up with the original Red and Blue games.
If this is the case then this list of fighters posted makes little sense to me:

Eclipse Dragon said:
Charizard
Pikachu
Lucario

Machamp
Gengar
Suicune
Gardevoir
Weavile
If the game is supposed to be a "harkening back to the olden days and people who played the very first games" then why are Lucario, Suicune, Gardevoir and Weavile in there? As someone who was a gigantic fan of Gen I before being totally screwed by Gen II (savegame corruption resulting in the loss of my entire A-team, it put me off Pokemon for nearly thirteen years, don't ask...painful memories) the sole reason I know what a Lucario is is that after many, many years I caved and bought X&Y and that forces one on you. I know Gardevoir from the same. Suicune was at least only Gen 2 so I'm slightly familiar with it but I have literally no idea wtf a Weavile is, I had to google it.

It just seems a little strange to say one thing and seemingly do something else.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Lightspeaker said:
If this is the case then this list of fighters posted makes little sense to me:

Eclipse Dragon said:
Charizard
Pikachu
Lucario

Machamp
Gengar
Suicune
Gardevoir
Weavile
It just seems a little strange to say one thing and seemingly do something else.
Well, they HAVE to include the new gen stuff. How else can we prove the old stuff is better if we can't beat the new stuff to a bloody pulp WITH the old stuff?
That being said, this game needs like, 100% more Beedrill. I have it from a very reliable (if somewhat grumpy) source that it's the best Pokemon ever.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
That's great and all, but this game will actually do well if put onto consoles too. The arcade scene is just about dead outside of Japan, and apparently it's struggling a bit in Japan in recent days too. If it's arcade exclusive, it will be a cool novelty, but not putting it on consoles would mean losing out on far more sales I think.

Also, can we get some gen 5 and 6 Pokemon in there that aren't support please? This is getting a tad ridiculous. It's bad enough that all the Smash Bros. Pokemon are returning who don't need any more exposure. You just know Mewtwo is going to be a playable character, and I would not be too surprised if Jigglypuff was given another unearned spot in a fighting game.

Lightspeaker said:
If the game is supposed to be a "harkening back to the olden days and people who played the very first games" then why are Lucario, Suicune, Gardevoir and Weavile in there?
Because a game with only gen 1 Pokemon would be boring, and it would alienate most fans who either have favorites in other generations, or who don't care about the originals nearly as much. Not many adult fans of Pokemon are "genwunners", and the Pokemon Company would be stupid to assume so, and appeal only to them.