Police Attempt to Link Vicious Murder to D&D

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Escapists, I am shocked and stunned to believe this thread has gone on two pages without this.

And yeah, the kid had psychopathic problems before the video games did anything. He played games to "forget"... forget what? The fact that he's a psychopath?

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
silver wolf009 said:
Oh god its mazes and monsters!! kill that stupid movie with fire!...
Beware the Sacrilege!

D&D, really? People are so desperite for a Scapegoat that they're using fucking Dundeons and Dragons? Humanity seems to be activly trying to make me want to destroy it.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
DarkDain said:
manythings said:
Well if I lived there I would move immediately since it is clear the cops are out to find the quickest explanation they can.
lol guilty much? XD
I played DnD for several years, I own an Eldar army and have several of the Rokugan RPG books. I would be waiting for them to kick more door in after seeing that.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Well obviously the D&D-players did this! We all know that tabletop games are the main cause of rape.

finalguy

Jun 9, 2010
ok, first off i live in seattle(about 20 mins away from where this girl lived).the accused had known the girl for 2 years, so it wasnt some random crazied act of a foaming DnD/videogame madman. he said and i quote" i asked her to cross the street several times even though she didnt want to, then i lured her into some bushes, i started to raped her and i choked her to death by ACCIDENT because she was stuggling". its importent to note all this because it explains why one might need to "cope" by playing videogames or DnD. i dont think he set out to kill her or even rape her for that matter.(BTW this guy was an 18 metalhead douchebag, but you dont hear them blaming slayer,etc.)

i would also like to say, altho i never knew her, im sure she was a very sweet girl, and my heart broke when i found out she was killed. i was just having a conversation with my wife about what me and my friends called "special ed cute" in high school. they were the girls who looked good/cute/ maybe even hot and seemed cool but then you find out they were missing some marbles and it would be close to a crime to date them, so we didnt.but this guy just couldnt keep it in his pants. theres a special place in the hotest part of hell for these kind of jerkoffs

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
The irony in this?Every Gym Coach from 1980 just turned wimpy nerd stereotype into murdering maniac stereotype XD(Not better but funny nonetheless)

finalguy

Jun 9, 2010
Jaeriko said:
Calm down people. They didn't say they were blaming it, they said there was a connection to it.

If the kid went straight to D&D after killing someone, then yeah, I would take a look at the connection too if I was a police officer on the case. It could be that the child has trouble distancing themselves from the fantasy, and those types of angles need to be covered or the child could end up living with an undiagnosed mental problem and not receiving the help he needs.
i gotta be honest here. i couldnt give a f_ck about him getting diagnoised/helped. they need to fry the bastard.(this is not trolling as i have been following the case and live close to where it happened)

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
http://www.facepalm.org/

So does this mean that if I were to go out and kill say 30 people then say I went to play some random video game like Viva Pinata I could get an E rated game M if I start mentioning the Pinata's told me to kill the non-believers?

finalguy

Jun 9, 2010
[/quote]PS: Not sure which order he committed the crime, but last night they reported he killed her, and THEN raped her body after she was dead to try and make it look like it was someone else's doing. Just to give you all a idea of how bad this case turned out to be.[/quote]

from the way i heard it, he killed her DURING the act of rape. rape being what he orginally was trying to do.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
/sigh

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

I thought we'd left this behind in the 80s.
Well to be perfectly fair, it is different - this D&D scapegoat is online. Everyone knows that online things are mystical, inexplicable horrors of technology that corrupt our youth while baffling our elders - science fact.

But hey, look at the bright side!

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
ShadowsofHope said:
Jaeriko said:
Calm down people. They didn't say they were blaming it, they said there was a connection to it.

If the kid went straight to D&D after killing someone, then yeah, I would take a look at the connection too if I was a police officer on the case. It could be that the child has trouble distancing themselves from the fantasy, and those types of angles need to be covered or the child could end up living with an undiagnosed mental problem and not receiving the help he needs.
The thing is, it isn't the game itself in any accord. It's the player whom can't control his perception of reality from fantasy. Blaming the game in connection with a murder is the same stupid crap the cops and knee-jerk parents have been pulling with all these cases, taking the easy way out in "solving" the psychological aspect instead of doing proper investigation.
I need to draw your attention to...
Andy Chalk said:
The report further noted that while investigators aren't placing the blame for the attack on videogames, they are working with an expert in sexually violent fantasies "to explore the videogame motive."
Frankly, I don't see the big deal. Dissociative people who arn't in proper control of there actions exist. It makes sense that they would gravitate towards a fantasy based hobby like D+D. It would be rare, and you can hardly blame the game, but it's still worth looking at the connection. When a killer reads Catcher in the Rye, it's worth looking at the connection, but no ones going to call Salinger a murderer because of it. I say we just wait. The authorities are just looking into leads and doing there jobs. It may be inevitable, but overzealous parents havn't started quoting Chick Tracts...yet, at least.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Anyone remember how back when rock & roll was taking off some morons said it turned people evil? looks like its gamings turn to be demonized

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
I suppose, and I agree about finding all the leads they can during investigation. Though, I have no doubt this is going to turn into yet another D&D demonizing fiasco at some point. It always does.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Oh my goodness gracious, not this AGAIN! I thought blaming crimes on video-games died in the early 2000's. They are now combining D&D and video-games into one super scape-goat that can cover any crime. *sighs*
I wonder if this bullshit will ever end.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I got dumped due to net problems while responding to this earlier.

In short one has to remember that our current goverment is using video games as the current scapegoat of choice. While it goes cross party, they are the favorite boogieman of Democrats like Hillary Clinton. There are politicians who are basing their entire career on such things right now. Convincing people games are bad, opens the door for games to be targeted instead of actual, complicated social issues which could amount to political suicide.

Back when I was taking Criminal Justice there was some discussion about differant ways law enforcement is set up, both in differant parts of the US, and around the world. One of the big issues, which has both pros and cons, is when politicians have direct control over law enforcement by being able to appoint top positions like "Police Chief" or "Commissioner", and in some cases Mayors, Governors, and City Managers, might have to approve promotions above a certain rank. This means that politicians can use the police as tools, and indirectly give them marching orders. A policeman who finds ways to tie cases to boogiemen that the politician wants people to be scared of, and puts this into his report, can earn brownie points which can eventually result in promotion to the upper ranks. Don't get me wrong, there are upsides to doing things this way too (which I won't go into), the basic point is that one can't truely consider the police a neutral party in many places.

PnP RPGs are less common as a target today, but I have noticed that fandom in general seems to be an increasing target, you have politicians and "Watchdog groups" going after comic books and super heroes again as well as some articles here on "The Escapist" have shown.

What is going on is wrong, but I am writing this message in part as a cautionary warning (queue John Sykes song from "Legend Of Black Heaven"):

Be careful not to deny everything that is said in attack on PnP RPGs in general. There are some very bad incidents out there, and if you engage in too much blanket defending in mockery it can be counter productive if you ever have anything resembling a neutral audience.

Understand that disturbed and broken people seek escapism, usually intense escapism. Games of any sort (PnP, Video) don't break people, but it should be expected that anyone who is really messed up and socially awkward is going to seek refuge in such things.

It should also be noted that "cult type" behavior in paticular can be attributed to PnP RPGs. Simply put, especially with the target audiences involving a lot of awkward, impresisonable nerds with low senses of self worth, your dealing with a crowd ideal to be taken care of. There are cases where very charismatic and strong willed people have been involved with PnP RPGs, and then wound up using the gaming group as a springboard to do wierd things with the members like have sex with them, encourage assaults, murder, and even cases of infanticide. It's not the game itself, but the people involved. With no offense, just because something is a gaming group does not mean that no attention should be paid as to who is involved and what these people are up to, when they isolated themselves for hours.

Now before anyone freaks, I'm going to point a finger not towards D&D but one of the more prolific "problem games": White Wolf's "World OF Darkness" stuff. A game which I might add still inspires people to claim they are actually vampire or "otherkin" in real life, and create entire communities based off of it, not to mention wierd blood drinking groups (all of which can also exist without the game, but it's a regular gateway). Sites like "Something Awful" cover this, and post messages from the forums frequented by such people for laughs once in a while (and there is a ton of it in the archives from their front page if your interested).

Unless your in a period where someone is currently sensationalizing RPGs again or trying to (for talk show ratings, or whatever) it can be hard to find records of a lot of the more dramatic incidents as it seems a lot of the people involved (and the families of those involved) wind up wanting to cover it up. That said here is a link to an article about one of the most infamous incidents, even if it's not the best souce. Some of you might very well remember this incident:

http://roswell.fortunecity.com/seance/500/killers/family.html

The point here is that you have to understand that there is a grain of truth in a lot of the accusations being made. To really "win" and be taken seriously you need to accept that and debate rationally without trying to say that this stuff has never happened, or worse yet make fun of the entire idea.

Popcicle42

Feb 25, 2010
Why does crap like this always happen in my backyard? Well, not actually my backyard, as it's kinda tiny and people would see... but why always in the Seattle area? What is it about around here that gathers the psychotically murderous and sexually violent?

Oh, and for the record, with a name like Tyler Wolfegang Savage, it's got to be good. *wink*