Polish Prime Minister Gives Obama Witcher 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Polish Prime Minister Gives Obama Witcher 2

Premier Donald Tusk thinks that President Barack Obama would really like to play a hardcore PC RPG.

When one head of state comes to see another on an official visit, it's customary in many circles to present the foreign dignitary with a gift. These gifts can range from light-hearted and silly to extravagant depending on the relationship between the countries - and apparently, sometimes they can include a computer game.

US President Barack Obama recently visited Poland, and the Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk was ready with a selection of high-tech gifts for the visiting leader. According to Katedra (The Cathedral) [http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/Wiadomosci/1,80271,9684341,Prezent_Tuska_dla_Obamy__iPad_z__Katedra__Baginskiego.html]. Tusk also gave Obama several English-language translations of novels signed by author Andrzej Sapkowski.

Oh, and he also gave him a copy of CD Projekt's The Witcher 2.

It makes sense, really. The Witcher 2 is one of the highest-profile games - if not the highest-profile game - to ever come out of Poland, and it's been making waves around the world since its release. Is there any wonder Premier Tusk was proud of it?

Granted, President Obama is a busy man, what with running the United States and all, so he probably won't have much time to sit down and really sink his teeth into Geralt's adventures anytime soon, if ever. Still, it's cool that we live in a world where two of the most powerful individuals in the world can give each other gadgetry and videogames as gifts.

Obama wrote a note in the Polish PM's guest book, "May the friendship between our nations grow in strength." He then paused and added, "and may Donald Tusk finally get his Paladin to level 85. The guild needs a good healer, dude! [British PM David] Cameron isn't going to heal through Magmaw by himself."

I may have made that last part up, but wouldn't it be cool?

(Incidentally, this is going off Google Translate, so if any of our Polish readers spot any errors in this article, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks!)

(Gazeta.pl [http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/Wiadomosci/1,80271,9684341,Prezent_Tuska_dla_Obamy__iPad_z__Katedra__Baginskiego.html])

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I hope giving each other video games becomes common practice. Like he goes to Japan and they give him Yakuza 3.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
You know what, that's pretty damn cool. If nothing else it's a great show of respect from the Polish government towards the game industry, particularly their own.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
John Funk said:
"and may Donald Tusk finally get his Paladin to level 85. The guild needs a good healer, dude! [British PM David] Cameron isn't going to heal through Magmaw by himself."
I imagine Cameron is the kind of guy who would be afk.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
That's a nice gift, though I doubt Mrs Obama will be to happy about the content in that game.

Perhaps Obama should give out copies of Call of Duty or Homefront to diplomats? Worth a try...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
aww he got a free copy of the witcher 2? now I want to be president more then ever

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
John Funk said:
The whole visit was really really awkward..
And John, you were on the spot with Google Translation.
Makes me laugh that the sentence which Obama wrote was a communism related one - it was a catchphrase used back in the days of communism in Poland in relation to Russia. I saw what you did there Obama..

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Wow, slow news (day? year? century? since the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth?) for Poland...they're plastering The Witcher 2 all over the place, including their adult magazines...
Sure, it's probably a good game, but seriously, a game as a state gift?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
It's pretty cool. On the one hand, it shows how much respect Poland has for its burgeoning gaming industry, and on the other it shows that a) giving away a product of one's culture can include games, and b) the necessary consequence being that games are art. Cool story, and this is not meant in any trolling sense!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
CM156 said:
That's a nice gift, though I doubt Mrs Obama will be to happy about the content in that game.

Perhaps Obama should give out copies of Call of Duty or Homefront to diplomats? Worth a try...
Homefront would definitely be the best choice for the North Korean delegation ;) CoD's MW2 would have to go to the Russians, of course :D

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
That's kind of hilarious and awesome all at once. Also now I'm curious if Obama is ever actually going to play it, heh.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Cameron is a Ret Noob. I thought everyone knew this? He tried going Prot but he refused to switch Recount for Omen.

BeefSteak

Oct 3, 2007
I would love it if the UN meetings or US Congress/House issues were turned into massive LAN parties with secrets votes on the issues/games, and then having to PVP over them.

Better than the "lolgridlock" we have now.