Political Correctness and Halloween Costumes

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
They just needed to change the names and descriptions of those costumes.

Next time they should just call it "Halloween Costume #34 - scary mask, bloodstains, a cleaver, the works!" or something. Putting in something like "mental patient" was literally begging for an angry reaction.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Overreaction, I reckon.

It was clearly based on the masked killer/slasher movie villain trope and not meant to be representative of the average person with mental health problems. The association is unfortunate but whoever campaigned against this just comes across as petty and humourless.

BoredRolePlayer said:
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/190781-were-a-culture-not-a-costume
Speaking of humourless - I see the intent behind that campaign and understand it. Slightly admire it even. But the way they've chosen to try to change hearts and minds is preachy and po-faced. "I'm super butthurt about this! I have the X-ray and doctor's note to prove it! You better not do X or say Y any more or I'll be MEGA butthurt!" - the old social justice technique of presuming that offence overrides anybody else's say on the matter, and talk about providing ample ammunition for parody.

Apr 24, 2008
Jenvas1306 said:
some halloween costumes that might even be classic need some revision today. just think of all the folks going as native americans...
this 'mental patient' costume was simply named terribly and there you see how easy it is to cross the line.

btw, how do you like this type of costume?

Ha! I could imagine some on this site really not liking that, given how personally they take The Big Bang Theory.

It does seem like it's really the name that's irking people, otherwise it's really standard horror fare.

Anyway, not much of a story. Complaints and likely insincere apologies.

Souther Thorn

Apr 5, 2013
I've been and am in therapy, I've been checked into an institution both voluntarily and against my will, I am not now and will not be offended by Halloween costumes. Next thing you know, hemophiliacs and people suffering Hypertrychosis will be up in arms over Vampire and Werewolf costumes...maybe people that have been through MAJOR reconstructive surgery should have issue with Frankensteins Monster, and what about all the SCIENTISTS offended by the 'Mad Scientist' trope.....hell, if anything offends me about Halloween costumes it's seeing the 'sexy' variants for EVERYTHING and that there isn't a single one that will fit on a grown woman with tits and hips that isn't listed as 'Plus sized'.