Political correctness

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Has it gone mad? Do you think everything in this day and age has become too PC and that it has taken away Freedom of speech, or how someone can express their views just so others aren't offended?

Or, do you think it has a place in the world of today? Do you think it helps everyone be equal (in society and opportunity) and get further in life with jobs or socially?

Examples of language commonly referred to as "politically correct" include:[14]

"Mentally challenged" in place of "Retard" and other terms
"African American" in place of "Black," "Negro" and other terms
"Native American" (or "First Nations" in Canada) in place of "Indian"
"Gender-neutral" terms such as "firefighter" in place of "fireman"
Terms relating to disability, such as "visually challenged" or "hearing impaired" in place of "blind" or "deaf"
Source: Wiki [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness]

How would you feel if you called someone deaf and you were corrected and ridiculed because you did not use the "correct" term. Do you think this actually happens?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a News artical (from 2006) where Children are now being taught to sing "Bah bah rainbow Sheep" instead of "Bah bah Black Sheep"

TRADITIONAL nursery rhymes are being rewritten at nursery schools to avoid causing offence to children.
Instead of singing "Baa baa, black sheep" as generations of children have learnt to do, toddlers in Oxfordshire are being taught to sing "Baa baa, rainbow sheep".

The move, which critics will seize on as an example of political correctness, was made after the nurseries decided to re-evaluate their approach to equal opportunities.

Stuart Chamberlain, manager of the Family Centre in Abingdon and the Sure Start centre in Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire, told the local Courier Journal newspaper: "We have taken the equal opportunities approach to everything we do".

Source: The Times [http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article738220.ece]
--------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think we're taking PC too far or is this a breathe of fresh air?
Has the PC world helped you or fuck you over at all?
Do you think T.V and the Media in general has been pressured into being PC or do you think it's them who started it? Or was it really the "Good doers"

I think it's going too far, I do not understand how, for example, "Bla bla Black Sheep" could honestly offend anyone or make them feel lower down and with less equal opportunities.

I call a deaf person deaf and a blind person blind, because, well, they are deaf and blind. (I mean 100% deaf and blind now, let's not pick)

If I'm talking about people who work in the Fire force, I call them Firemen, not fighters, it just comes out. And as Female myself, I don't even feel offend that I do it or if anyone else does.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
"Political correctness" is an overblown phenomenon, mostly bandied about by the right to avoid talking about actual issues. It's otherwise totally insignificant.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
So they want to sing about rainbow sheep, slightly out of tune with the original nursery rhyme, because that creates an equal opportunity for... all different colors of sheep? Even though a black sheep isn't really very derogatory?

I'm highly against political correctness, if only because it insults peoples' intelligence, and assumes that they're unhappy with current terminologies. Anybody who really makes that much of a fuss over a firefighter being called a fireman should have their priorities reevaluated.

clipse15

May 18, 2009
FamoFunk said:
Has it gone mad? Do you think everything in this day and age has become too PC and that it has taken away Freedom of speech, or how someone can express their views just so others aren't offended?

Or, do you think it has a place in the world of today? Do you think it helps everyone be equal (in society and opportunity) and get further in life with jobs or socially?

Examples of language commonly referred to as "politically correct" include:[14]

"Mentally challenged" in place of "Retard" and other terms
"African American" in place of "Black," "Negro" and other terms
"Native American" (or "First Nations" in Canada) in place of "Indian"
"Gender-neutral" terms such as "firefighter" in place of "fireman"
Terms relating to disability, such as "visually challenged" or "hearing impaired" in place of "blind" or "deaf"
Source: Wiki [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness]

How would you feel if you called someone deaf and you were corrected and ridiculed because you did not use the "correct" term. Do you think this actually happens?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a News artical (from 2006) where Children are now being taught to sing "Bah bah rainbow Sheep" instead of "Bah bah Black Sheep"

TRADITIONAL nursery rhymes are being rewritten at nursery schools to avoid causing offence to children.
Instead of singing "Baa baa, black sheep" as generations of children have learnt to do, toddlers in Oxfordshire are being taught to sing "Baa baa, rainbow sheep".

The move, which critics will seize on as an example of political correctness, was made after the nurseries decided to re-evaluate their approach to equal opportunities.

Stuart Chamberlain, manager of the Family Centre in Abingdon and the Sure Start centre in Sutton Courtenay, Oxfordshire, told the local Courier Journal newspaper: "We have taken the equal opportunities approach to everything we do".

Source: The Times [http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article738220.ece]
--------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think we're taking PC too far or is this a breathe of fresh air?
Has the PC world helped you or fuck you over at all?
Do you think T.V and the Media in general has been pressured into being PC or do you think it's them who started it? Or was it really the "Good doers"

I think it's going too far, I do not understand how, for example, "Bla bla Black Sheep" could honestly offend anyone or make them feel lower down and with less equal opportunities.

I call a deaf person deaf and a blind person blind, because, well, they are deaf and blind. (I mean 100% deaf and blind now, let's not pick)

If I'm talking about people who work in the Fire force, I call them Firemen, not fighters, it just comes out. And as Female myself, I don't even feel offend that I do it or if anyone else.
If a Black person wants to be called African American or an Indian wants to be called a Native then whats the big deal? Do you feel like you should have the authority to call them something they don't wish to just because you don't feel like it? Besides the crazy overblown Political Correctness that you're talking about is in such the minority in general the normal populace doesn't really care.

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Its a shame PC culture exists. I blame lawyers, taking on any cases on a no-fee basis. It forces people to bubblewrap themselves so they dont get sued.

Emergent System

Feb 27, 2010
clipse15 said:
If a Black person wants to be called African American or an Indian wants to be called a Native then whats the big deal? Do you feel like you should have the authority to call them something they don't wish to just because you don't feel like it? Besides the crazy overblown Political Correctness that you're talking about is in such the minority in general the normal populace doesn't really care.
I don't want to be called 'white', I want to be called 'a sweet puff of white cloudiness, a breeze on a warm summerday'.

If you don't then you're a racist.

Oh, and if we've never spoken before and thus I've never had the opportunity to inform you of this, I still reserve the right to become immensly offended at you not knowing something you couldn't have known.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I personally find calling black people "African American" is more ignorant than saying black because not all black people came from Africa.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I don't bother being politically correct, someone is going to be offended no matter what you say and if you cover it with PC-speak it's going to be worse. I think it's bullshit and anyone that uses it, is just avoiding the real matter at hand, and I do blame the media and politicians for this nonsense and getting all worked up when someone had the "audacity" to not use it.

My brother got yelled at for saying "retarded" and the thing is he has autism, how the hell does that work?

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
clipse15 said:
FamoFunk said:
SNIP-
Err... if they ask me to I will, but if someone is Black, I will call them Black.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
About the only things political correctness wise is not calling black people niggers and not calling native Americans Indians. ****** can be a truly offensive word and native Americans aren't Indian.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
clipse15 said:
FamoFunk said:
Well, that's the thing. Most blacks don't care, in fact, most actually prefer being called black. As for those who refer to themselves with a certain n word I will not use because I don't want to get called out as a racist white bastard, I don't give a damn what they think. Indians don't care either. Many will just roll their eyes, as if going, "Oh, your people have spent 200 years wiping mine out, and you're trying to make me feel better by saying 'Native American' instead of 'Indian?' I feel SO much better now, jackass."

Mumonk

Mar 14, 2010
I do have issues with "African American" and such racial terms.

Where you born in America? Then your American.

Where you born in Africa then migrated to America and then received your American Citizenship? Then your an African American.

A good friend of mine is white and red headed, he was born in Africa, his family moved to America when he was 10. HE is a African American. 95% of black people here aren't.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Not all world has gone mad on PC, but the UK has become too concerned about political correctness. In portuguese, trying to change similar expressions actually offend more the people they target than the original ones. For example if u call someone an african, chances are they will correct you and say they are negros, as white people can also be african as born in Africa.

To be honest I think political correctness is a cynical principle and doesnt hide the fact that because you are trying to change the way you address to a segment of the population actually shows that you see them as diferent and might feel some prejudice against them.

Funny that Portugal's Association for Visual Impaired/challenged people is literally called Association of Blind People.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I find I'm apathetic until the phrase "that's gay" is uttered.
I mean, I'm biased, but it's really a fsking ridiculous statement.

People are too tightly would nowadays, myself included (about one or two things....see above. [sub][sub]dammit...[/sub][/sub]), so we're either going to just completely repress ourselves as a species, or we're all going to just let the suppressed fart rip and get over everything.

Either way, so long as diet coke, english muffins and nutella are still around, I'm good.

Megawat22

Aug 7, 2010
There's nothing wrong with these changes, just humanity moving onwards as normal.
I call people black, deaf, blind or native American because that's how I was raised. My grandad called black people Negros and his grandad likely called them whatever was going around at the time.
Come next generation we'll be known as heartless racists and the likes and the generation after that will have new names for these things.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
I never really understood the African American. If you're from India but live in America, are you an American Indian? Is a Japanese person who lives in Germany Asian-German?

I don't think it helps anyone, it just makes everything more awkward. More often than not, it's not the people who should feel offended who actually are. People label everything as racist or misogynous because...they don't want to look racist or misogynistic. But that's exactly how they look. Treating people differently because of gender or skin colour is still discrimination despite it being positive or negative.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
You know, it's the rainbow sheep that really crushes all hope for proper political correctness. Something that hasn't gotten out of control, basically.
I mean, one sings Baa Baa Black Sheep because black wool is rarer and more expensive than white wool, especially when the song was made.
Rainbow sheep don't exist. When they do, sing that song to your hearts content. But only because it's goddamn RAINBOW WOOL, not because you're afraid of being racist.