[Politics] UK Suspends Parliament

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Dreiko said:
When you have the horribly bad for the UK but great for the EU deal that May presented be refused by the EU,
You are making stuff up. Stop making stuff up.

edit: oh, I see I am a little late to this party. Never mind me.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
generals3 said:
Dreiko said:
When you have the horribly bad for the UK but great for the EU deal that May presented be refused by the EU, you have a situation where the EU is using this element to keep the UK in limbo, unable to leave through their refusal to agreeing with any sort of deal whatsoever.
How was it horrible?
And how did the EU refuse a deal they negociated and approved with May? You're confusing the EU with the UK parliament.

This is the kind of trick they do to get you to give up leaving altogether because of this factor.
I don't understand how Johnson's deal was so much better than May's. The main difference is pretty much letting NI stay in the EU if they want and likely assuring the Union dissolving. There were so many years of anguish and THAT was the solution.

You say that as if it was a pattern but this is the first time a member state is trying to leave.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Silvanus said:
Let's not forget that Johnson stated that "no British Prime Minister" could accept a border in the Irish Sea.
Let's not forget that Johnson is glib twat who says whatever he feels like at the time with no intention of necessarily honouring it.

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
Boris is a bullshiter, he's "promised" more spending to the NHS is as credible as Trump promising he won't put more children in cages.

And the British middle class ate it up.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Silvanus said:
Satinavian said:
Republic of Ireland. You know, people who actually have a say in the negotiation.
Right. And does it not bode poorly for the process that Northern Ireland doesn't?

Let's not forget that Johnson stated that "no British Prime Minister" could accept a border in the Irish Sea.
I mean maybe he's just openly admitting that there won't be a "British" Prime Minister for much longer? If Scotland and Northern Ireland leave, the position would pretty much just be "English" Prime Minister.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Avnger said:
I mean maybe he's just openly admitting that there won't be a "British" Prime Minister for much longer? If Scotland and Northern Ireland leave, the position would pretty much just be "English" Prime Minister.
Scotland is gone. It's just a matter of time. Another five years of the hated Tories and Brexit are a final slap in the face the Scots aren't going to let go. Sturgeon will submit an independence referendum request in the next year or two and Boris can either grant it and lose, or refuse it and just make the Scots even more hostile, because no-one likes their self-determination being denied (Brexit surely has taught us that much), virtually guaranteeing exit later.

When that next referendum will be is hard to say. It's easier to refuse one if the polls are ~50% but if pro-independence sentiment climbs above 60%, that's getting really hard to reject.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Avnger said:
Silvanus said:
Satinavian said:
Republic of Ireland. You know, people who actually have a say in the negotiation.
Right. And does it not bode poorly for the process that Northern Ireland doesn't?

Well, there's still Wales, and it's the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" so he can lost NI and still be the British PM.

Out of interest, if bits break off the UK, will they all go independent, or could some of them get together and form a new country of "Not England"?

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Out of interest, if bits break off the UK, will they all go independent, or could some of them get together and form a new country of "Not England"?
Scotland will claim independence. NI would initially hold a referendum for independence, and then follow up with a request to be incorporated into Ireland. Wales will probably stick with England whatever.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
This guy's perspective was interesting to hear: https://youtu.be/KOmJyzRNZIY

(George Galloway interviewed by The Grayzone's Anya Parampil)

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Seanchaidh said:
This guy's perspective was interesting to hear: https://youtu.be/KOmJyzRNZIY
He does occasionally have interesting thingns to say, sad that he's such a colossally arrogant, pompous, self-absorbed twat.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Agema said:
He does occasionally have interesting thingns to say, sad that he's such a colossally arrogant, pompous, self-absorbed twat.
And he does a terrible impression of a cat.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Baffle2 said:
Agema said:
After the recent Cats film, can we really, honestly, truly say that anyone else's cat impression is terrible?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
CM156 said:
After the recent Cats film, can we really, honestly, truly say that anyone else's cat impression is terrible?
In this particular case, yes.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
CM156 said:
Baffle2 said:
Agema said:

I mean, at least we can thank CATS for one thing. We all agree that it looks awful.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Dalisclock said:
I mean, at least we can thank CATS for one thing. We all agree that it looks awful.
It was shit even just as a musical. Okay, I'm biased, because I absolutely fucking hate musicals as a rule even before we get down to any individual ones, but after that Andrew Lloyd Webber writes sickly sentimental junk at the best of times.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Dalisclock said:
True unity.

Agema said:
Dalisclock said:
It was shit even just as a musical. Okay, I'm biased, because I absolutely fucking hate musicals as a rule even before we get down to any individual ones, but after that Andrew Lloyd Webber writes sickly sentimental junk at the best of times.
I agree that it's a bad musical. Personally, I'm rather fond of musicals. If you don't mind me asking, how many have you seen?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Agema said:
Dalisclock said:
I like musicals and I'm okay with ALWs stuff in general, but CATS was awful when I saw it as a video recording of the stage play. I'll even admit to like some bad musicals, such as the film version of TOMMY.

On the bright side, at least now there's very little chance of them trying to film Love Never Dies AKA ALW needs a new swimming pool. So CATS took two bullets for the price of one.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
CM156 said:
I agree that it's a bad musical. Personally, I'm rather fond of musicals. If you don't mind me asking, how many have you seen?
In the theatre? None, because I disliked musicals as movies, of which I saw numerous as a child before I eventually learnt my lesson gave up on them. I have since enjoyed a couple, like Team America: World Police, but they're not exactly musicals as you'd classically imagine them. I don't much like opera either, although I've been to a few productions by my city's opera company which has a very stylised way of presenting them and as a spectacle, those performances have been quite enjoyable. I like some opera songs, as songs - although classical music isn't really my thing.

Give me a music gig or give me a play, a mash-up of the two... no.