Poll: 1999 to 2009 - Shittiest Decade ?

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
This decade was shitty for me...but I have reasoning behind this...let meh see...

1. My dad died
2. My mom started to date a jerk
3. I was sent to the psych ward
4. I got sent to privet school
5. Almost got jumped by some black guys at my old junior high
6. My mom lost her job
7. My mom got cancer

Do I need to continue...?

And it all happened in that exact ORDER!

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
AkJay said:
In music, it was the SHITTIEST decade.
I'm, uh, going to have to agree with you on that.90% of the music I've heard this decade was awful.
Thank god Progressive music is still kicking, full of talent, and just as unpopular as ever!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
HUBILUB said:
That's not a decade, that's 11 years.

And why do people decide that it is a good time to forget the Holocaust at this point and call out this decade as the worst?
Or, say, MOST of the decades in Medieval Europe? Bubonic plague, anyone?

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Kalezian said:
attention, 1999 to 2009 is not considered a decade.

yes, its 10 years, but its not considered a true decade like say: 1990-2000.

save this thread till after next year, THEN we can decide.
Neither of those are 10 years, they are eleven.

#1: 1999 / 1990
#2: 2000 / 1991
#3: 2001 / 1992
#4: 2002 / 1993
#5: 2003 / 1994
#6: 2004 / 1995
#7: 2005 / 1996
#8: 2006 / 1997
#9: 2007 / 1998
#10: 2008 / 1999
#11: 2009 / 2000

Anyway,
OT: I've had worse.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Repeat thread. Check before you post, and no, there have been much worse decades. Sorry for being a troll here.

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
Kalezian said:
attention, 1999 to 2009 is not considered a decade.

yes, its 10 years, but its not considered a true decade like say: 1990-2000.

save this thread till after next year, THEN we can decide.
What you call true decade from the start of the 0 (1990 or 2000) to the end of the 9 (1999 or 2009) so now is the time to do it.

But OT I didn't think it was that bad. Sure there was a ton of bad music, but there was also Wolfmother, and a tone of great tech advances.

I think a good chunk of it is selective memory, but then again how many decades have most people even been through. I'd say most people on this site have only been through 1 to maybe 3 decades they were actually old enough to remember.

Edit: Realized I sounded a bit condescending, this is the first decade I was actually old enough to be fully aware of it the whole way.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
Maybe when it comes to pop culture, but not really. I mean, we got introduced to horrors like the Nintendo Wii, Transformers, Twilight, and Harry Potter films, just to name a few. I mean, the list goes on.

Technically, though, while it still is a "decade" as in, time has passed, it's not a decade in the sense you're thinking of, like the 80's, the 40's or the 90's.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Chicago Ted said:
Hasn't this thread been done to death here? I'm sick of people proclaiming this as the worst.
I agree. People are just too nostalgic.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
ostro-whiskey said:
When I got home from New Years Silvester, I was dwelling on the progress of time passing, and was hit with sudden exacerbating dissapointment. I realized it was because not only was the past year a complete downfall, but the entire decade was completely and utterly mucky muck.

The most exciting thing I could recall, in terms of global achievement was the 9/11 and ensuing fiasco. Other than that, there is nothing to look back on and be anything other than apathetic about.

Does anyone else share these sentiments ?
The shittiest decade?
Really?
World War One, World War Two, The Holocaust?
Nowhere near the worst decade; it's the whiniest, most self pitying decade, clearly.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Eh the decade itself fine baring that whole war and global economy thing, the year however boy did it ever suck hard bad music, bad movies, bad tv, employment drop and plenty of bad people all round heres hoping for a better new year.

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
GameGoddess101 said:
Maybe when it comes to pop culture, but not really. I mean, we got introduced to horrors like the Nintendo Wii, Transformers, Twilight, and Harry Potter films, just to name a few. I mean, the list goes on.

Technically, though, while it still is a "decade" as in, time has passed, it's not a decade in the sense you're thinking of, like the 80's, the 40's or the 90's.
You mean, Transformers got murdered.

Well, I don't remember the whole decade, since I'm just 16, but as far as I remember, it was kinda meh.

vampirekid.13

May 8, 2009
HUBILUB said:
That's not a decade, that's 11 years.

And why do people decide that it is a good time to forget the Holocaust at this point and call out this decade as the worst?
while the holocaust was a much worst event...it certainly was nowhere close to as boring i bet.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Noo..No. Not by far. Okay, capitalism started to go absolutely bonkers and the religious followed suit. But we're starting to realize how we're screwing up. Acknowledging mistakes. Hopefuly it's not too late.

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
AkJay said:
In music, it was the SHITTIEST decade.
That would in fact be the '70s.

In fact, apart from all the other awful, terrible decades of this and the last century (1909-1919, '30s, '40s) the '70s count as godawful. Terrible music, mediocre technology, oil crises, the Vietnam War's tail end, the Cold War, etc.

But you know what? They weren't even that bad. More than that, this decade was downright balmy by comparison. Terrorist attacks, expensive wars, a bowel-shaking recession (let's not kid ourselves, it's been nowhere near Great Depression style, but still as bad as we've seen), and the dot com bust are pretty much...it.

The music was good, and the amount of it exploded in the wake of digital distribution as smaller bands suddenly found new outlets, the movies improved steadily, and consumer technology exploded in an almost unprecedented way. Your ordinary person suddenly found themselves just a few keystrokes away from almost anyone else on the planet, and are now able to access more information than has ever been available to a regular civilian...ever. As populations grew, the number of poor held steady or only somewhat increased, meaning the proportion decreased, and we're on the brink of some stellar breakthroughs.

Wasn't all that worth something? It wasn't a fantastic decade, maybe--and almost definitely a bit boring, if the excitement of epidemics and world wars is what you crave--but it held its own with the '80s.

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
Whether or not the decade was shit is entirely subjective, but it definitely wasn't the shittest decade ever. Personally, I thought it was awesome, I can recall many many fun times I've had over the past 10 years.