Poll: 2014: The year of overhyped duds.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
This is so unfair, why can I only vote for one? Many disappointments this year, yes. But also some good stuff fortunately. Alien:Isolation comes to mind, FC4 I personally liked, even though it it's a bit of just FC3+.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Eh, I don't really give a damn for modern AAA games, and I can't say I was even mildly interested in any of these games.
I understand that many people expected a lot from them, but for me, this year was actually pretty great. We got Wasteland 2, BoI: Rebirth, Divinity: Original Sin, Banished, some pretty good console ports (especially MGR:Revengeance)... Overall I think it was a good year, much better than 2013.

Although if I had to point out just one disappointment, it'd be Thief. Or Thi4f. Whatever. Not that I really expected too much of Square Enix reviving a 10-year-old franchise, but still, I hoped for something at least slightly better than what we got.

Of course then we got crap like "Dungeon Keeper: Now With More Microtransactions" and "RollerCoaster Tycoon 4: It's (almost) Free to Play!", which honestly I hope are soon forgotten.

Overall, I'd call 2014 "The year of the hype". If publishers didn't try to get us all so excited for the shiny new GOTYs, maybe people wouldn't get so disappointed when they end up being average.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
This year was pretty disappointing - what was good was largely unexpected and often not that good, at least not when compared to other years, and a lot of stuff I was looking forward to was delayed and pushed back to 2015.

The most disappointing game for me, that I played, was Destiny. I don't think Destiny is a "bad" game. Mechanically, it's rock solid, one of the best shooters out there. I was just incredibly disappointed that they promised us a lush, rich world and a story line that would, in their own words, rival Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, and we got nonsense and grimoire cards that don't even that have much written on them.

It's not a bad game. It just fell so damn short of what they said it would be, and what I hoped it would be.

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
Novakingway said:
insaninater said:
Titanfall (i didn't quite know what to expect, but it wasn't all that interesting to me, if only because it wasn't a PC game and thus kindof outside my radar)
Titanfall was on PC....
Doesnt count because Origin is garbage :p

Master Taffer

Aug 4, 2010
Destiny.

Gameplay is smooth as butter, and lord knows I played a ton of it when it was released. But at the end of the day it was just hollow. I didn't know why I was doing anything, nor did the game give me reasons to care. I remember playing the final campaign mission with a friend and we literally were asking each other "So the Vex are here. Does that mean they are the big baddie for the game? And what are they trying to do, exactly?" Just a bunch of feh and meh. Grinding the same thing over and over again just for a little better loot here or there. It was not a satisfying way to ingest a game and ultimately I just discarded it and have not gone back.

Was just like eating a big bowl of white rice. White rice can fill you up, but without the proper seasoning or protein added it just ends up being bland and leaves a weird texture in your mouth. Next time add some seasoning and maybe some chicken or beef in there, Bungie.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I only bought 4 games last year that were released in 2014: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel, Dark Souls II and Child of Light.

BOIsaac: Rebirth. It's essentially a gigantic DLC/rerelease of the original. 10/10.

Borderlands: TPS. It's a giant DLC for Borderlands 2. 10/10.

Child of Light. Haven't played it yet. 10/10.

Dark Souls 2. Incredibly addicting, seemingly endless, a bit disjointed, but still great. But it's not as good as the first one, so therefore it is THE WORST GAME EVER AND THE GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF ALL TIME!!!!! -50/10.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Problem with this year is it was supposed to be a new gen and games were advertised as such, yet in addition to having to learn the new hardware more than often the games were still shackled to the last gen consoles. That's a recipe for disappointment.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
The only problem I see at the moment is we have to choose between Watch Dogs and Destiny. The guys behind those games were so hyped up from their previous work they were destined for a fall from grace at some point, I'm just surprised it happened in the same year. The only thing that could beat those would likely be the Wii U, but that unfortunately is a console and not a game.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Does nobody else remember that The Elder Scrolls: Online was released this year? I've seen no mentions of it in any "worst" or "best" lists and people have just forgotten it even existed. I'd say it was my most disappointing if I gave a damn about it in the first place, and by the looks of it very few people did.

As for my actual most disappointing game, I didn't really have one as apart from Smash Bros there weren't many games I really got hyped for this year. Shovel Knight was my biggest surprise of the year in how much I actually loved it, and now that I've finally bought Shadow of Mordor and Wolfenstein in the Steam sale I'll get to experience what all the fuss is about.

2015 is shaping up to be a really good year. MGSV:TPP, Bloodbourne,Zelda, Star Fox, Splatoon and The Witcher 3 are all games I'm extremely hyped for.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Murdered Soul Suspect.

It could of had a good story or mystery or not-bland protagonist but damnit just fell to the wayside to be forgotten.
Runner up? Alien: Isolation. I will never relent that game sucked and cannot fathom how people thought it was good. Admittedly, it has cool moments, but the game is mind numbingly dull and boring.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
bartholen said:
BOIsaac: Rebirth. It's essentially a gigantic DLC/rerelease of the original. 10/10.
It's a non-broken version with several added enemies, bosses, characters and a new stage. It was worth it for me

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
SPOILER QUOTE

Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Dragon Age Inquisition, I went in without much anticipation and still ended up disappointed. It's funny that all the early game rumors were a lot more interesting than what you ended up with (i.e. Varric being possessed and killable if he had the Red Lyrium shard, Flemeth masquerading as Vivienne, Leliana being permanently scar-able).

Thanks for the spoilers. Haven't finished it yet. The thread is overhyped duds not hey let's blurt out spoilers for a game that is still pretty new.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Between Destiny and Watch Dogs it's VERY close. The reason I say these are the most disappointing is because not only were the publishers hyping them to high heaven, but a lot of people were legitimately looking forward to them and believed them to be the titles that pushed the next generation forward. And that didn't happen. With Destiny all that people got was a tedious, hollow grind with a TERRIBLE plot topped off with Peter Dinklage sounding bored as hell. With Watch Dogs, people got a plot that they didn't care about involving a protagonist they didn't care about in a sandbox they didn't care about. Neither of them are games, they're just glorified tech demos which oddly enough didn't even accomplish that well because there wasn't anything they did that really showed off the capability of the new hardware, especially in terms of gameplay.

All in all, it's just another example of first year doldrums for the PS4 and XB1; it's people figuring out the hardware and trying to make it seem more interesting than it really is. They better hope 2015 is better because soon you'll have people asking "what was the point of launching these new systems then?" And of course, the games that didn't disappoint this year were the ones with not a lot of hype behind them. Goes to show that you can try and wrap up a mediocre product in shiny wrapping all you want, at the end of the day, it's still a mediocre product.

As for 2015, I will once again look back on history and remember second year doldrums. Things might start kicking off this time next year, but we'll see. People kept saying this year was going to be great and revolutionary, but were proven wrong.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait, no Borderlands 3? 'cause that was about as lazy a hack-job of a sequel as any on that list. I'd rank that game alongside Assassin's Creed: Unity and Sonic Boom. Not because Borderlands 3 was overly glitchy, but just because of the pure nerve Gearbox had to charge full price for a map and character pack. That 'game' was at best a $20 DLC add-on.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Possibly Watch_dogs. I started out enjoying it, but as time went on I found myself getting increasingly more and more irritated with Aiden, and at one point I forgot his motivation entirely. It had the potential to be a very good game and I found the end result sadly lacking. I personally rather enjoyed Assassins creed: Unity, it isn't nowhere as good as Black flag, but nevertheless I found it enjoyable. It probably helped that I managed to acquire it for £25 as well, so I didn't feel ripped off.