Poll: 2014: The year of overhyped duds.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Murdered: Soul Suspect? Hyped? Well this is news to me.

Am i just really out of the loop? I've only heard of that game from Zero Punctuation, and probably seen it on Steam ... it is on PC, right?

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Watch_Dogs, because it's been making me disappointed in the gaming community since it was announced. None of the trailers, press releases or interviews ever showed or promised anything significantly mechanically different from every gun-based open world game on the market, and yet everyone and their grandmother bought into the marketing department-mandated hype and spent more than a year talking up features that they often only suspected might be in the game. Then it came out and was exactly what it always looked like (minus a layer f shiny) and everyone acted hurt that their cloud castles weren't real. I hope never to have to spend so much time hearing so much about such an obviously mediocre game.

Titanfall gets honorable mention for fucking up giant robots as a gameplay mechanic, but I can't say I ever had enough hope in it to call myself disappointed.

Oh, and Murdered: Soul Suspect, because while it was always apparent that it was setting out to be Ghost Trick without the creativity and charm, one could have hoped that the "mystery" side of things would have been less insultingly simple.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I was really interested in Destiny and Watch_Dogs, until the reviews came out. Titanfall I bought for $5, it's pretty good but I feel like the base game doesn't have enough content for a retail release. Base + 3 DLCs feels like barely enough to ship at full price. It's fun enough.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, it wasn't amazing but there were some fun games around the place.

The lacklustre showing is mostly due to the new console generation. All the devs are still adjusting and the console manufacturers are desperately pushing out whatever crap comes to hand in search of a 'killer app'.

Happened during the last launch cycle too. Remember all the fantastic games that came out in 2006?

Yeah, me neither.

PS. I'm still feeling incredibly smug over having called Watch Dogs shittiness back when everyone else was having preemptive orgasms over that one E3 preview.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Far Cry wasn't super hyped, and it served its purpose. Although it would have been my tenth platinum if Oblivon Walker didn't bug on me, and I had someone to help with Changing Lanes and the rock trophy didn't bug on me...stupid trophies.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Personally, no game was overhyped to me because I stopped following up and started to enjoy more games again because I have zero expectations and can enjoy a game for what it is.

As far as this year being "the year of overhyped duds" I am pretty sure you can find them across every year, its just this year they had a couple of big ones and Ubisoft doing whatever Ubisoft does.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
The poll itself is fine though some inclusions are baffling. The thread title however is nonsense, a dozen or so games were over hyped big bloody deal. That does not mean this year was disappointing.
It has for me been one hell of a year and it gets tiring when the brigade who apparently only play AAA games comes in and says it was all crap. Expand your horizons and you want see things that way.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
This year had Alien Isolation, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Shadow of Mordor, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Endless Legend in it. I'd say it was a damn fine year!

As for most disappointing, Destiny wins by a mile!

Novakingway

Dec 27, 2014
insaninater said:
Titanfall (i didn't quite know what to expect, but it wasn't all that interesting to me, if only because it wasn't a PC game and thus kindof outside my radar)
Titanfall was on PC....

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Disappointment stems from unmet expectations. The only expectations I had of these games that was not met is that Destiny would be an MMO. It is actually as much of an MMO as Guild Wars with a massively multiplayer hubs but only small parties in one area, unlike World of Warcraft. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

However, I don't read news about new games very much. Destiny could have been described by marketing as the kind of compromised MMO that it is.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Flammablezeus said:
Batou667 said:
Wait, wait. Wait. Assassin's Creed Unity wasn't the first game that came to mind?
Yeah I'm baffled by its exclusion from the poll. I'm sure it's easily the biggest disappointment of the year for most people, although I didn't buy or play it.
I am also baffled by it being excluded. It was definitely the most disappointing, being simultaneously a buggy piece of shit and flubbing one of the best settings for an AC game.

The rest of the year was just a resounding 'meh' as the hype balloons all got deflated with farting noises. In order of increasing 'meh': Titanfall, Destiny, Watch_Dogs, Elder Scrolls Online.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
None of the games on that list had even the remotest appeal for me. I couldn't have cared less if each of them was sold for $60 but in fact only contained a 20 year old version of Tetris.

Wait, never mind. That would be pretty awesome actually.

Really though I am not sure that I played a single new game this year, because every new game I remember seeing looked like total shit. How anyone could be disappointed by any of those titles is totally baffling.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Any year that isn't the year Dante's Inferno released is still a good year in gaming in my book.

This year brought us Alien: Isolation, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes (sure it's short, but that's not the point), Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and WatchDogs. Maybe I'm alone in this, but six games I can definitely call good does not a bad year make, let alone the worst year in gaming evar (for a 14 year old apparently). Then there's the indie scene, which at this point completely counts because they have a HUGE Steam, PSN, and XBLA footprint.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Most of those games are pretty good.
I guess Titanfall would be my choice because its one of the few that I can't find anything to enjoy in. The rest are pretty damn fun.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Watch_Dogs was hyped up the arse and awful. Didn't expect much, and got even less. At least in FC4 Ubishit just straight up copied Far Cry 3...

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Eh, say what you will for everyone else in triple A, but between Smash Bros, Bayonetta, Donkey Kong and Mario Kart, It's been a pretty solid year for the Nintendo

And that's really the only big gaming company I care about. fanboy fo life x99