Poll: 2014: The year of overhyped duds.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
even though i have played quite a bit of it and it can be really fun, Destiny is my most disappointing. Halo is my favorite series and Bungie was my favorite developer before this. they honestly didnt even try. the gameplay is fun, for the most part, but the competitive multiplayer is frustrating and completely uninspired, and the story is basically nonexistent. it is doubly disappointing when you remember that Halo is renowned for both its incredible multiplayer and campaign.

i realize it is a pseudo-MMO, but they really didnt have to make it such a plot-less grind of a game.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
No disappointments, when I had no high hopes for any of the listed games.

Also, to join the rest of the chorus, this year has been a good year. Now playing alien:isolation.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I would have to say Watch Dogs. I expected more from it. Still haven't finished it yet. I enjoyed Murdered: Soul Suspect. I like adventure/point and click games though. I was a bit sad it came out in June and not October.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Uh lesse here:
Farcry 4: nah, more FC3 but with elephants is a-ok in my book.
Watch_Dogs: Nope, didn't buy into the hype and got a enjoyable GTA clone that didn't totally disappear up its own ass like the real GTA.
TitanFall: Most fun I have had with a MP shooter since Halo 3.
Destiny: I liked it, come at me bro.
CoD:AW: I love how CoD actually kinda almost tries for the first time in years and people still give it the exact same amount of shit.
DR3: No comment, I never found DR fun.
Murdered Soul Suspect: Did anyone actually care about this? The hype was near nonexistent.

And then Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation, Bayonetta 2, and probably some I'm forgetting all turned out to be wayyyy better than I expected, so yea overall I had a good year.

If I had to call something disappointing it would either be Elite Dangerous, (because even though I figured it would be a slog with the with of the ocean and the depth of a thimble as soon as they went "OMG ELLEVENTYBILLION SYSTEMS !!!1!!ONE!!!1!!" having that confirmed was still a bit sad) or Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (Because I was fine with more of the same, but I'm a bit iffy on "more of the same but marginally worse thanks to every single change being totally botched in execution").

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I voted "Other" because "All Of the PS4/Xbone exclusives" wasn't an option.

Seriously, this year has been hardcore in proving a PC and Wii U are all you need right now....

Farcry 4: Not even trying to do anything new and interesting.
Watch_Dogs: Wasted potential.
TitanFall: Wasted potential.
Destiny: Just shit.
CoD:Advanced Warfare: Marginally better than the boring nonsense that in the usual yearly iteration of CoD, but still not nearly as good as what TitanFall promises it could be.
Dead Rising 3: A series that has been a waste of potential EVERY time.
Murdered Soul Suspect: Dunno much about it. Didn't seem like it was going to be very good.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
It was an okay year i suppose. From this list i would definitely pick Watch dogs, i have to admit that these fake gameplay trailers really tricked me and i didn't expect much from anything else, so even the annual call of duty managed to impress me.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I'm only voting for Far Cry 4 because I expected the others to be rubbish, but Far Cry 4 I was expecting to be better. What a shit year for gaming it has been.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Id like to go down saying that the only reason most of these games are/were disappointing is because of the ridiculous expectations people set on them.

Essentially every game on your list was a capable, decent game, fairly well made. And almost every one was also expected to be the next big genre defying, world shaking title.

If you found this year to be disappointing, I think its time you stepped away from the media's drip feeder and started making your own expectations and decisions, with a minimum of 'this next game will change everything' moments.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I voted for soul suspect. I couldn't be disapointed by the other titles because I never expected them to be good. Soul Suspect, on the other hand, at least seemed to be trying something new, as far as AAA titles go. It didn't pull it off, of course, but I suppose they tried.

I've seen worse years in gaming, though. Telltale delivered pretty hard, and we got the first good alien game, so it wasn't all bad.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Dragon Age Inquisition.

I am never again listening to the week 1 chatter surrounding any game ever again. Incredibly over-hyped, okay writing, but inconsequential story, boring combat, lazy game design all over the place. Only bit of fun was the dragon fights, particularly the triumvirate in Emprise Du Lion.

Otherwise, I am severely disappointed. Good thing I bought it at a sane price (£37.99) instead of the brazen one EA is trying to push as a "new standard"(If I'd have paid £50 for this, I'be calling for blood right about now).

Also not to sound smug or anything, but I could tell that Watch_Dogs was going to be disappointing ever since the PS4 Demo. As I watched the footage, all I could think of was "this looks exactly like Assassin's Creed III".

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Far Cry 4 made the poll but Assassin's Creed Unity didn't? Anyway, for me Destiny was by far the most disappointing game I played this year, in fact it was the most disappointing game I've played in a few years.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm going to say Watch_Dogs wins this year's Fart From A Trumpet Award with Titanfall, Destiny and Advanced Warfare hot on its heels. 2015, please be better than this year.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I voted other: Dragon Age Inquisition. I didn't buy many games this year, but this was undoubtedly the worst.

I didn't vote for the others in the poll because I haven't played them/had interest in them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Dud yes, most dissapointing? No. Also no don't asked me which years was the most dissapointing when it come to games but I do agreed that there were quite a few duds this year mainly Destiny and Watch_Dog.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
*** Puts on Bio-Bot armor ****

DAI - The environments and lore did not fit the branch story and character writing. It was not bad game but it wasn't a great game either, it was just an OK sequel. They get extra points for allowing some griding, armor types for all characters... but long fetch it quests that gave little for the effort and a lot of filler to make your game play longer doesn't account for it being a wonderful sandbox event.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
This year, I've stuck with old favourites instead of getting entangled in the current mess of vidya gaems.

Even so, Watch_Dogs was disappointing as all hell. And I didn't actually have any expectations for it. It failed worse than I was expecting it to. It did the impossible; which is an achievement in and of itself, but seriously.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Farcry 4. I enjoyed the game but the main character, Ajay, was so boring. He lacked any emotion or interest in anything. So it was difficult for me to give a shit about events in the game.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
Honestly, I was not disappointed by anything this year. Watch_Dogs turned out exactly as I expected it to, as I did NOT believe the hype surrounding it. Dragon Age: Inquisition I found to be excellent, though far from perfect (bloated sidequests, slow mounts, and dull combat are my only gripes). I didn't play any of the other games, though I had hopes for Destiny. After watching my roommate play it, I decided against buying it.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
I gotta say, this list seems like someone who heard about all the disappointments and didn't really care, but decided to make a post to try and seem like a well-informed person.

Still, my vote goes to Watch_Dogs because I'm a fan of Person of Interest and I thought I would be getting a game to emulate that.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
I've only played Far Cry 4 from that list, and it was exactly what I expected (namely, Far Cry 3,) so I can't really judge too much.

Still, of the games listed, Watch_Dogs was the game I was most excited about before it released, and then just kind of decided after release that maybe it wasn't worth getting afterall.