Poll: 2015, The end of The Escapist?

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
IceForce said:
Ieyke said:
I can tell you for a fact that that's not true.
Ieyke said:
I don't know enough details.
You've contradicted yourself here.

Either you don't know enough details, OR you can tell something "for a fact".
It can't be both.
Nonsense.
It can be and IS both.
You can know things without knowing all about them.

You get a call from your brother asking you to pick up some milk on your way home.
You now know he wants milk.
Do you know the details of why or what for? No.
Do you know he wants milk? Yes.
Uh huh, so what you are saying is that you know they want out, but you don't know why they want out, or what keeps them from leaving.
No. That's what you're assuming.
I said I don't know enough details. I didn't say I don't know THAT.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Ieyke said:
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
IceForce said:
Ieyke said:
Ieyke said:

It can't be both.
Nonsense.
It can be and IS both.

You get a call from your brother asking you to pick up some milk on your way home.
Uh huh, so what you are saying is that you know they want out, but you don't know why they want out, or what keeps them from leaving.
Aha, so they want to leave and you know why and you also know what keeps them. Gotcha.

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
The beginning of the most successful era in The Escapist's history.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
It's like the turning point in wrestling history where Vince Russo left the WWF and everybody said that they would be in the shit without him. And then Russo went on to shit WCW right up while the WWF went from strength to strength until it went shit again.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
It all greatly depends on what's to come in the future. Both who is brought in, who else gets laid off or leaves, and how this community handles itself and reacts to both these changes as well as the tensions caused (and still being caused) by all sides of GamerGate. The forums being filled to the brim with numerous groups of people who are openly antagonistic and at Internet war with each other, as well as the seemingly higher tolerance for hostile or uncivil behavior in the forums (though something tells me the mods aren't to blame for that one), is creating far too much toxicity in these forums imho, and whether or not we as a community will bounce back from that in the long run.... only time will tell.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
I really hope it is. This website is not even close to the inclusive and intellectual place that it was back in the day. Overzealous moderators, the loss of content creators, loss of Russ and Susan, the March Madness rejects that flooded the site and now all of the sexists that infest the forums.

The Escapist has rabies; Old Yeller is the appropriate response.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Is it the end of the site? I can't say it's looking too positive but that's as much due to the struggles in the industry as a whole as it is due to recent events here.

Is it nearing the end of my time visiting the site? Yeah, probably.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
No content worth viewing on the front page... yeah, I don't have any hopes for this site. I've got no reason to come here now bar ZP.

Escapist has no content.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
IceForce said:
Ieyke said:
Ieyke said:

It can't be both.
Nonsense.
It can be and IS both.

Aha, so they want to leave and you know why and you also know what keeps them. Gotcha.
Glad we finally cleared that up.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Ieyke said:
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
IceForce said:
Ieyke said:
Ieyke said:

It can't be both.
Nonsense.
It can be and IS both.

Why not just say that and not being overly cryptic? Also, why should anyone believe a word you have to say on the matter?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
This has probably been stated a thousand times already but, as soon as Yahtzee leaves that is when the Escapist is finished. Many of us followed Yahtzee from youtube to here, and will probably leave with him like the hopeless groupies/roadies we are.

That being said, it sure seems as if this site is al lot more hollow than before the "supporting cast" was kicked off. The Escapist is becoming the 'sick man' of the gaming community.

Captcha: "half done"

I guess that is the best answer.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
Davroth said:
Ieyke said:
IceForce said:
Ieyke said:
Ieyke said:

It can't be both.
Nonsense.
It can be and IS both.

Why not just say that and not being overly cryptic? Also, why should anyone believe a word you have to say on the matter?
I wasn't being cryptic, and you've accomplished nothing that couldn't be inferred from my first comment on the subject.

Whether you want to believe me or not is your business.
As long as you're clear on what I am and am not saying, I don't care what you do with that information. *shrug*

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Vault101 said:
ShadowRatchet92 said:
So, with guys like Miracle of Sound, Jim Stirling, and Movie Bob now leaving or being fired from the escapist, do guys think that 2015 (or 2016) will be the last year the escapist will stay in business or will Yahtzee, Unskippable, No Right Answer, or any other new content creator will be able to keep them going?
that depends

I feel like the site is clearly going in one general "direction" which may cause some users to leave if the loss of their favourite content didn't

personally to me the death of the site isn't when the content I like goes or EVEN a shift in general attitude (but still that depends)

its when traffic slows down to the point where the forums die

that's the REAL potential death
Is it just me or do the forums seem less active then they used to be? I agree the only way the site will truly die is if the forum community disappears and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Everything seems hunkey-dory aside from the lose of content.

Also this is for you OP

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
If ever there was a time to use this image, it'd be some time around now....

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
O maestre said:
This has probably been stated a thousand times already but, as soon as Yahtzee leaves that is when the Escapist is finished. Many of us followed Yahtzee from youtube to here, and will probably leave with him like the hopeless groupies/roadies we are.

That being said, it sure seems as if this site is al lot more hollow than before the "supporting cast" was kicked off. The Escapist is becoming the 'sick man' of the gaming community.

Captcha: "half done"

I guess that is the best answer.
That has always been true though. Yahtzee leaving would spell doom for this site no matter who else they had as content creators. Plus, allegedly we are getting new content in march, as in a few days from now. It probably will feel a lot less hollow then.

RobXSIQ

Feb 22, 2015
I for one joined specifically because of the trash removal service TEM preformed. Seriously...if a person is saying gamers suck, then its time that person stop writing for a gaming site.
Moviebob was in the whole new social justice crybabies that wanted to suddenly have deep moral impact whenever you shot a dude in call of duty, and how women need to be superheroes in burkas crowd. His fear of the progressive fringe compromised his ability to have any rational thought.
Poly/gama/kot can have that. keep it isolated and away from real game sites. let them have some sort of jackfest over twine games and poor html social statement non-fun games..
The Escapist is ejecting them, and in turn, hiring on people who fukkin love games, funny, highly intelligent critical thinkers who will definitely shake up things, but otherwise bring a whole host of new life in.

maybe.
cant tell the future of course, but the signs are actually looking good.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I actually wonder about these threads. Now, this may sound silly, and it may sound a bit crazy, but do any o you stop to think the effect threads like these might have?

So, say you are the creator of a glorious website, you pour your heart and soul into it. Then you read threads like these. Now, it's alright for people to say they aren't happy with things. That's fair enough, since opinions and feedback are most important things. But you read all these threads. These constant, negative threads. What happens if someone thinks "Well, fuck this then, no one likes it? I'll shut it down."

It's like you guys actually WANT this place to shut down. Just my opinion anyways

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Padwolf said:
I actually wonder about these threads. Now, this may sound silly, and it may sound a bit crazy, but do any o you stop to think the effect threads like these might have?

So, say you are the creator of a glorious website, you pour your heart and soul into it. Then you read threads like these. Now, it's alright for people to say they aren't happy with things. That's fair enough, since opinions and feedback are most important things. But you read all these threads. These constant, negative threads. What happens if someone thinks "Well, fuck this then, no one likes it? I'll shut it down."

It's like you guys actually WANT this place to shut down. Just my opinion anyways
Companies exist to make money. If and when The Escapist can no longer turn a profit (and assuming there's no way to turn it around), then that's when it'll be shut down.

The idea of a forum thread or two leading to an entire website being shut down is ... well, ludicrous.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
IceForce said:
Padwolf said:

Companies exist to make money. If and when The Escapist can no longer turn a profit (and assuming there's no way to turn it around), then that's when it'll be shut down.

The idea of a forum thread or two leading to an entire website being shut down is ... well, ludicrous.
If only it was a thread or two. But there seem to be many, and to be honest even if it does exist to make money the creators are still people and still have feelings. If the site is jut descending to people heralding the end, then why not shut it down anyway? Problem is, barely anyone on this site can be pleased.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Like most people, I came here for Yahtzee. I didn't care for Chipman or Sterling at all, so nothing of value (to me) was lost in their departures. Maybe the new contributors hook me. Maybe they don't. Either way, I like the new direction and focus of the site, and I'll keep coming back so long as Croshaw keeps doing his thing.