Poll: 35minutes of Witcher 3 gameplay demo (E3)

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'm interested in the game. Despite how much I disliked The Witcher 2, I at least know that CD Projekt is capable of making a good game given how much I enjoyed the first game, and even The Witcher 2 managed to keep the overarching story of the series interesting. I'm at least looking forward to see what happens next.

At the very least, it looks like they're going to have more open environments than the second game. One of my major complaints about The Witcher 2 was that too much of it felt like a web of corridors that took away from any sense of exploration. Hearing that they aren't putting invisible walls and actually seeing at least one instance of Geralt navigating in a way that would have been restricted by an invisible wall in previous games is also a major plus. Combined with news about the removal of QTEs and changing the potion system to be slightly more like the original game makes it seem like they are removing a lot of what I hated about the second game.

Also, it seems like the combat will at least be marginally improved. It still looks like a definite low point, but depending on how the game handles it, it might not be that bad. I'm just hoping that the mini games offer enough of a diversion that we can take a break from just running around and fighting. To me, the amount of diversion Dice Poker offered in the first game, combined with some excellent pacing, prevented the combat from getting too annoying. The Witcher 2 offered no real diversion in its mini-games as all of them were shallow and/or just flat-out annoying, and as a result, there was really nothing for me to do when wanting to take a break from the combat, so the already poor and overused combat got really tedious long before the end of the game.

After that, the world looks magnificent and I can't wait to explore it.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
God damn I'm looking forward to this game. Hype be damned.

Also can I just say its really really nice to see a gameplay trailer showing actual gameplay.

jrobson68

Jun 2, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
spartandude said:
My PC which can max the Witcher 2 at 60fps (minus ubersampling) melted watching this YouTube video... also i may have orgasmed.
Yeah mind did as well. There is no way I'm not buying a 880 Maxwell for this game..my 560ti won't be able to handle it and I want to see it in it's full glory (minus ubersampling of course).
It was probably the footage frame rate dropping as opposed to your pc not being able to run it. CDPR seem to have some sort of deal with microsoft, so all the promotional videos are being shown on xbone, FPS drops and lowered graphical fidelity and all.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I'm nervous as fuck man. Not sure about playing this with a 7950.
I've heard rumours about a 780 (non ti) running this game at 1080p 60 at ultra at around 40-45fps. So a big upgrade might be needed if you want all the eye candy.
Great so my sights on a 760/770 are moot, the 780 is still expensive in my eyes and the 880 isn't exactly going to be peanuts cheap either so I'm fucked either way.

I'm not paying more than 300 so yeah I consider my optional choices pretty moot since it's either going to be 880 or bust and I'm looking at bust right now.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So if QTEs made TW2 a lesser game then the fast travel system is going to be the let down for TW3. I'm not totally against fast travel but it should never replace travelling on foot/horse.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
mad825 said:
So if QTEs made TW2 a lesser game then the fast travel system is going to be the let down for TW3. I'm not totally against fast travel but it should never replace travelling on foot/horse.
By the looks of it, it's not something you can do anywhere like in Skyrim. Also, you have to have visited the area before you can fast travel to it.

OT: Wow. This game is simply stunning. I just can't get over how beautiful it is. Plus, the world is massive. When he pointed out the huge tree in the distance and said that the city we'd been to earlier was 14 times that distance, I was kind of blown away. This is the one next gen game I've been looking forward to ever since it was announced and I'm happy to see that it looks like it may surpass my expectations.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Magix said:
The Madman said:
Magix said:
Not hyped all. Why? Because I didn't watch the trailer ;)

I see no benefit in buying into that hype. The only thing it will do is make me disappointed if the game doesn't live up to it. So if I see a game I'm interested in, I just wait until it comes out, watch some gameplay, and decide if I want to play it.

I enjoyed the Witcher 2, and hope that 3 will be just as good, but I don't see how watching that trailer right now will help me.
Umm... that's admirable and all but this is gameplay. Not a trailer. That's what makes the video topic-worthy. It's a commentated version of the 35 mins worth of gameplay the devs were showing off at Gamescon and the like.
It's gameplay, but it's gameplay of a game that isn't out yet, so there's still no reason to watch it and get hyped. Watch gameplay when it's out, and watch gameplay from an actual critique, that isn't scripted or otherwise messed with to show off the good stuff and hide all the bad stuff.

Trailer or gameplay demo, the point remains the same =P
It generates hype for no reason
That is the attitude that gets people buying stuff based on the description that in the end they dont like or sucks.

You could watch that video and dont like it as the stuff that offers arent the kind of things you are into and it informs you on that. From the demonstrations of Dragon Age Inquisition I am not liking what I see for example.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
mad825 said:
I'm sure you can know...not use it if you don't like the fast travel. Not exactly some kind of things you are FORCED to do. What a terrible complaint.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I want to see what the game looks like when someones actually playing the game instead of following the carefully marked out marketing path. I want to see how it feels just running off into the wild for some fighting, searching out for quests in a city. The critical path trail interests me less

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Johny_X2 said:
that 35-minute demo made me want to preorder the version for 130 quid.
I preordered the Collector's Editions of the previous two. First one, to support the dev, second one, because I liked the first one. I remember that for TW2, it sold out within a day. TW3 is also sold out already.

The best way to go (unless you want a physical copy) about getting TW3 is to preorder on GOG, which gives most of the money to CDP Red (technically, to CDP which owns both companies). That version has regional pricing, but they alleviate it by giving you store credit for the difference.

mad825 said:
But the system they're showing seems to be right up your alley - it's not totally absent, but you can't fast-travel from anywhere, only between signposts at areas you've already visited.

I think if the world is indeed as massive as they're boasting, then a lack of fast-travel would be a major complaint.

endtherapture said:
I'm sure you can know...not use it if you don't like the fast travel. Not exactly some kind of things you are FORCED to do. What a terrible complaint.
Eh, sometimes the existence of the option is enough to be detrimental to the experience. I had something like that with Kingdom of Amalur and its Fateweavers. The knowledge that I can reassign all of my character points at a whim made all the choices while levelling up meaningless. Sure, I never used the option, but especially when I hit the level cap while 2 levels away from maxing out a skill I wanted, knowing it's not a consequence of my choices I have to live with, killed my enjoyment. I played the game almost religiously until the level cap, but after that I can't even muster enough enthusiasm to get the disc out.

OT: I watched the demo last night and it was a great experience. I already knew I was going to get TW3, but this makes me even more confident that I want it. Of course it was scripted and highly polished to make that impression, but that looks like one fine game. Let's get it, play it, then wait for Cyberpunk.

I rarely get hyped for games, but this is probably my biggest hype-bout since Baldur's Gate 2.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
endtherapture said:
Yeah, because they would implement a fast travel system and not expect you to use it. Sounds counter-intuitive to me, if they implement a fast travel system and didn't make you zigzag across the map then I would have to question why they bothered to implement it at all.

I'm not totally against the fast travel mechanic but the guys at CD project have a habit on emphasising a particular gaming mechanic. May that be the potions mechanic in TW1 or the QTEs in TW2 (a major fuck-up imo).
RyQ_TMC said:
But the system they're showing seems to be right up your alley - it's not totally absent, but you can't fast-travel from anywhere, only between signposts at areas you've already visited.
I hope that is true but when there's a fast travel point which seems to be a non-recurring area (due to the story line quest) while also being in a middle of a swamp away from civilization it does kinda makes my head scratch.

From the look of this demo, they only learnt what TES:Oblivion did wrong and said "fuck it". At the very least in Skyrim you see a horse & cart to which you have to also pay for. Fast travel should not be without consequence.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
mad825 said:
endtherapture said:
Yeah, because they would implement a fast travel system and not expect you to use it. Sounds counter-intuitive to me, if they implement a fast travel system and didn't make you zigzag across the map then I would have to question why they bothered to implement it at all.

I'm not totally against the fast travel mechanic but the guys at CD project have a habit on emphasising a particular gaming mechanic. May that be the potions mechanic in TW1 or the QTEs in TW2 (a major fuck-up imo).
If you don't like fast travel, you don't use it, and you can ride everywhere on your horse and get immersed in the game world. People who don't have that much time can fast travel to places they've been before, cutting out downtime and padding, and people who have a medium amount of time can use both. Taking it out for your personal enjoyment would be such a counter intuitive move. See: fast travel in Dragons Dogma.

What were the QTE problems in TW2 anyway? I remember once instance of them which was the big squid thing you fought, however there's an option to TURN THEM OFF ENTIRELY, so I really don't know how it can have ruined the game for you. Lol.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Oh god this looks so amazing. I don't know what i love more about this video.
The amazing soundtrack? The incredibly character/monster designs? The moral ambiguity with heavily difficult dicisions? The cool combat scenes? God, it just looks all so amazing.
Of course there's always the big scepticism question if they are able to keep up this level of polished beautifull environments in such a gigantic world that they have. It seems insane and impossible.
Then again having two completely different second acts in The Witcher 2 also seemed insane and impossible, so i am not too worried.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Magix said:
It's gameplay, but it's gameplay of a game that isn't out yet, so there's still no reason to watch it and get hyped. Watch gameplay when it's out, and watch gameplay from an actual critique, that isn't scripted or otherwise messed with to show off the good stuff and hide all the bad stuff.
Actually any critque or review is either going to praise it and only show the parts that highlight their praise OR show the flaws that highlight their criticisms. You will get a bias no matter who it is showcasing the game.

OT: This video looks great. The world of The Witcher just keeps getting more and more interesting with each installment. They do fantasy really well. One day CDProjekt may drop the ball but so far, their games get better over time and they are pro-consumer. CDProjekt keeps making me love them even more and they already hold my top spot as the best developer out there.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I watched it, and I do believe my brain is starting to bite. Sure I loved the second game, though my bad PC could not handle it. Which makes me one of the people who have to play it on console. A bloody shame, right?

As I said, I'm starting to bite, and I am starting to believe I will buy it.
One thing that made me melt ... was most certainly the soundtrack, especially for the fighting, that was my melting point. I am certainly going to enjoy my RPGs later this year, and in the new year.

I can tell that I will really want that soundtrack.
Possibly that collectors edition too. >.<
Fuck me.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
StormShaun said:
I watched it, and I do believe my brain is starting to bite. Sure I loved the second game, though my bad PC could not handle it. Which makes me one of the people who have to play it on console. A bloody shame, right?

As I said, I'm starting to bite, and I am starting to believe I will buy it.
One thing that made me melt ... was most certainly the soundtrack, especially for the fighting, that was my melting point. I am certainly going to enjoy my RPGs later this year, and in the new year.

I can tell that I will really want that soundtrack.
Possibly that collectors edition too. >.<
Fuck me.
Collector Editions (at least for PC) are sold out so you might have some problems getting one.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I have the first game installed and the second for my Xbox, but haven't played either of them for more than an hour. I can't really say why, because the setting alone is right up my alley. I enjoy my dark magic medieval stuff, mature stories and Game of Thrones as well, so yeah...

Seems I should give them another try, I am reading a LOT of praise from people who played the games and are interested in the third one. In contrast to other fan bases the community has valid, well rounded arguments for loving the games that I can comprehend. I just need that final kick to start playing.

Is it true that most players quit the first Witcher in the first act's swamp lands, almost exactly at the point the story starts rolling?

PS: Nevertheless, the graphics for the 3rd game look amazing! My PC is so old it can barely handle the first Witcher on 1080. But I can accept low graphics as long as story and atmosphere suck me in.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Not only am I looking forward to it, but I also believe its going to still the RPG crown from the Elder Scrolls series. (I am NOT referring to ESO, just so we are clear!!)

I cannot wait to play this game!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The voice acting is still wooden, but if they fix the godawful combat I might give this series another try.