Poll: $40 toward Playstation Network. What to buy?

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
I was refunded my money for the PSVita version of Playstation All Stars so I could go grab the Cross Buy version, but after looking through the store a bit, maybe that isn't the best way to go. The Classics are kind of winning me over. So, Escapists. What should I get?

I've already bought Persona 3 FES, Chulip, FF8 (MASSIVE mistake), Flower, Psychonauts, and own Resident Evil 2 on disc.

I was wanting to get into a Castlevania game or a Megaman game, but it seems even fans of the game can't come to a consensus on which one is best for a beginner. I would love to hear some suggestions. I'm sure I missed some important titles too. Please yell at me if I forgot some awesome ones.

Edit: Persona 5 makes me laugh every time I see it.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Which RE are you talking about? I wouldn't touch 6 with a 10ft pole, 5 is reasonable and 4 is good, the new Castlevania isn't anything like the old ones according to the reviews I have seen on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEV4Ebz4Yts

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Anthony Corrigan said:
Which RE are you talking about? I wouldn't touch 6 with a 10ft pole, 5 is reasonable and 4 is good, the new Castlevania isn't anything like the old ones according to the reviews I have seen on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEV4Ebz4Yts

As far as Resident Evil goes, I've pretty much been through every single game out there except for the Outbreak Files. It has been a good 12 or 13 years since I've played 1, 3, Code Veronica, or any of the really fucking epic ones. I'm totally open. I'm only 19 so these PS1 games are actually a little old for me and I need some input from the veterans.

For Castlevania it seems like Symphony of the Night is where I should start. I'd just like some discussion about why a beginner to the series would like one Castlevania over the other. From what I understand Symphony of the Night is sort of difficult.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
oh your talking original games, not newish releases.

to be honest I liked RE 4 and 5 more than I liked the original ones but then Rail shooters annoy me because I like to be slow and methodical.

If you want really old school games then Odd world from the PS1 was really cool

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Anthony Corrigan said:
oh your talking original games, not newish releases.

to be honest I liked RE 4 and 5 more than I liked the original ones but then Rail shooters annoy me because I like to be slow and methodical.

If you want really old school games then Odd world from the PS1 was really cool
I grew up playing Resident Evil so the originals will always hold a special place in my heart. Resident Evil 5 is kind of where I draw the line. If RE4 would have been like an 8/10 or lower, it definitely would not have gotten the respect it did. One reason being the new virus was the beginning of the end for Resident Evil. Resident Evil is a zombie survival game... not an "infected" survival/action game. I don't think 5 deserves any hate. It was okay. But they obviously started getting desperate with the series. Anyway... I played one of the Oddworld games for a little bit when everyone got PSPlus for a month or so after their little "incident". I'll definitely keep it in mind; it has some genuinely funny humor in it. I like a game that is honest with itself. It reminds me of Conker in that sense. Conker is fucking brilliant.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Through that list I would go with Disgaea and Persona. Disgaea Hour of Darkness and Disgaea 2 are fun games and I have them on the PS2 myself. The Persona games I'm getting into and they are also quite fun, but Persona 2 is apparently very different from Persona 3. Also if you don't have Code Veronica I suggest getting that one because that's a great RE game (my personal favorite).

All in all I'm jealous because I only have $10.01 on my PSN and am too poor to add funds. T^T

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
IWCAS said:
One reason being the new virus was the beginning of the end for Resident Evil.
Out of curiosity... To which "new virus [http://residentevil.wikia.com/Virus]" are you referring?
The Ancient Virus? Progenitor? Tyrant virus? t-Veronica? G? t+G? Cameron's Virus? t-Abyss virus? Uroboros? X-virus? C-virus?

Chie

Jun 29, 2013
Do you mean Persona 4? Because I (obviously, from my user name) think you should go for that. It's easier to get into than Persona 3... the dungeons are more varied and the storyline moves faster. Disgaea is good too, if you like tactical RPGs.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Neronium said:
Through that list I would go with Disgaea and Persona. Disgaea Hour of Darkness and Disgaea 2 are fun games and I have them on the PS2 myself. The Persona games I'm getting into and they are also quite fun, but Persona 2 is apparently very different from Persona 3. Also if you don't have Code Veronica I suggest getting that one because that's a great RE game (my personal favorite).

All in all I'm jealous because I only have $10.01 on my PSN and am too poor to add funds. T^T
Yes, the fact that any Persona before 3 was entirely different is why I didn't buy the PSP version of Innocent Sin at launch. And Code Veronica is the RE game I have played the most out of any other RE game! Very under rated, I think.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Chie said:
Do you mean Persona 4? Because I (obviously, from my user name) think you should go for that. It's easier to get into than Persona 3... the dungeons are more varied and the storyline moves faster. Disgaea is good too, if you like tactical RPGs.
I have played P4 many many times. Haha. I'm still working on Persona 4 The Golden's ending because I got my PC right after it came out and sort of forgot about it. I think P3's story is way better and the Social Link's in P3 are just on a whole other level. Akinari's link made me cry. No use lying about it. That shit was sad, man.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
IWCAS said:
Neronium said:

Yes, the fact that any Persona before 3 was entirely different is why I didn't buy the PSP version of Innocent Sin at launch. And Code Veronica is the RE game I have played the most out of any other RE game! Very under rated, I think.
Ah, makes sense.
As for Code Veronica, I had a Dreamcast when growing up so yeah I had that game. Was weird because that was one of the only M rated games my parents would let me play when I was younger. When I found out it was being released on PSN I was gonna get it, but then I remembered what Capcom had done to me. (I'm a Megaman Legends fan :p)

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
madwarper said:
IWCAS said:
Out of curiosity... To which "new virus [http://residentevil.wikia.com/Virus]" are you referring?
The Ancient Virus? Progenitor? Tyrant virus? t-Veronica? G? t+G? Cameron's Virus? t-Abyss virus? Uroboros? X-virus? C-virus?
Uroboros. Unless the Virus that made shit pop out of the zombies heads was different in 4 than it was in 5. In which case, my mistake. I'm not a hard core Resident Evil fan, I just enjoyed them all when I was a kid.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
IWCAS said:
madwarper said:
IWCAS said:
Uroboros. Unless the Virus that made shit pop out of the zombies heads was different in 4 than it was in 5. In which case, my mistake. I'm not a hard core Resident Evil fan, I just enjoyed them all when I was a kid.
That wasn't a virus, it was a parasite actually but then I think the G-virus was technically a parasite as well

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Neronium said:
IWCAS said:
Neronium said:

Ah, makes sense.
As for Code Veronica, I had a Dreamcast when growing up so yeah I had that game. Was weird because that was one of the only M rated games my parents would let me play when I was younger. When I found out it was being released on PSN I was gonna get it, but then I remembered what Capcom had done to me. (I'm a Megaman Legends fan :p)
Hey, same here. I had to sneak over to my cousins house to play Grand Theft Auto III! I played my friends Code Veronica on PS2 when we were at daycare; we had to wait for all the little kids to go to sleep or they'd tell on us. Lol. We were pretty limited on time because of that but I know we played through it over 5 times at least. Unfortunately I've only ever played one Megaman game in my entire life and that was Battle Network. I actually did like that one, but I don't think I ever got to finish it.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Anthony Corrigan said:
IWCAS said:
madwarper said:
IWCAS said:
That wasn't a virus, it was a parasite actually but then I think the G-virus was technically a parasite as well
Were the Regenerators and the regular roaming infected the same virus?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
IWCAS said:
Hey, same here. I had to sneak over to my cousins house to play Grand Theft Auto III! I played my friends Code Veronica on PS2 when we were at daycare; we had to wait for all the little kids to go to sleep or they'd tell on us. Lol. We were pretty limited on time because of that but I know we played through it over 5 times at least. Unfortunately I've only ever played one Megaman game in my entire life and that was Battle Network. I actually did like that one, but I don't think I ever got to finish it.
See there aren't as many Megaman games on the PSN unfortunately. The Legends games can't be put on their due to licensing issues with the voice actors and with the music used, also because the first Legends was also released on the N64 titled Megaman 64.

And I never knew that there was a PS2 version because I stilled play the mighty Dreamcast version despite not having a VMU and being unable to save. But still, if you like SRPGs go with Disgaea and Code Veronica can wait. Heck you could also get the HD copy of Okami, which was another amazing game from back when Capcom had a brain and listened to fans. :D

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Neronium said:
IWCAS said:
See there aren't as many Megaman games on the PSN unfortunately. The Legends games can't be put on their due to licensing issues with the voice actors and with the music used, also because the first Legends was also released on the N64 titled Megaman 64.

And I never knew that there was a PS2 version because I stilled play the mighty Dreamcast version despite not having a VMU and being unable to save. But still, if you like SRPGs go with Disgaea and Code Veronica can wait. Heck you could also get the HD copy of Okami, which was another amazing game from back when Capcom had a brain and listened to fans. :D
My buddy actually still has the same copy of Code Veronica that we played all those years ago, so that one is already out of the way. :D Since Disgaea is in the lead BY FAR, I think I'll go ahead and grab the first one. (Persona 5 is barely an idea at this point so it doesn't count.) Okami is a game I've never tried along with Psychonauts (bought it but haven't played it yet) because of when it came out. In fact, all those games that came out at the tail end of the PS2's prime I never played because my Stepdad got an Xbox 360 the day it came out.

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
IWCAS said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
IWCAS said:
madwarper said:
IWCAS said:
Yes, they were infected with the plaga parasites (not virus), that's why you needed the thermal scope to shoot the invisible palaga

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Regenerador

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Anthony Corrigan said:
IWCAS said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
IWCAS said:
madwarper said:
IWCAS said:
Yes, they were infected with the plaga parasites (not virus), that's why you needed the thermal scope to shoot the invisible palaga

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Regenerador
7 foot 5. Goddamn. I don't remember them being that huge. I'll bet I can find RE4 cheaper on Gamecube on like Amazon or something than I can on PSN. I need to play this again for sure.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
IWCAS said:
7 foot 5. Goddamn. I don't remember them being that huge. I'll bet I can find RE4 cheaper on Gamecube on like Amazon or something than I can on PSN. I need to play this again for sure.
If you have one, I strongly suggest getting the WiiMake over the GC version.

Not only is the motion control aiming much better than having to start from scratch each time you try to take a shot, but it also has Separate Ways, which was added in the PS2 port.