Poll: 40mm: N00B T00B or Pro Pipe?

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
See, the problem with grenade launchers is that they occupy a weird little place in the modern arsenal.

They're too expensive and to likely to cause friendly fire incidents for common use with the regular grunts, and they're too loud and indiscriminate for most special forces, but they're the ultimate weapon for a one man army Rambo dude, thus accurate representations of their real life counterparts are made "overpowered" in video games.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Option 3.
The pwn bone.

I see nothing wrong with it, it's a weapon in a shooting game. It's not any worse than normal nade spam, full auto, a knife or even a 9mm ... it kills someone who then cries about it. If they cry about dying in a game of weapons what they are really saying is "I want to kill your, but you can't have anything that kills me...whaaaa"

Erisnas

Sep 10, 2009
It's a matter of the situation.

Grenading the capture point? Fair Firing it straight up into the air repeatedly until you get a kill? noobish

I don't mind it other than that it can often reward bad player strategy.

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
There's no such thing as pro or noob weapons. Just pro or noob players.
Bull honkey, tell me that when a swarm of idiots run around with tact knives, or the AA, or akimbo 1887s, or in this case, the tube.

No chance the weapons are balanced, like the f2000 compared to the acr, or the ump to the mp5k.

The only thing balanced is probably the sniper weapons, but even then, you can still kill someone across the map with an acr

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
As noob as I think it might be, the phrase "Pro Pipe" just cracked me up so much my eyes started to water. I'm voting for Pro Pipe under circumstances of awesome.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
SODAssault said:
In my opinion, it should be called the M203 under-barrel grenade launcher.
so what would you call the M79? o_O

having the name+description as the model name would rather pretty bloated to say and rather pointless, why not call a Geforce 8400M GS and rename it to Geforce 8400M GS external graphics card that goes in the AGP port (or PCI)

at the end of the day, if you have some technical knowledge of an area of a field, having the description in the name is frigging annoying

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
mad825 said:
Ok, I guess i'll be the first person to mention this, its called an M203.

a 40mm grenade launcher can be referred to many things but really its only a type of ammunition and really any M203 attchments in any game is going to own and kicks the opponents arse
actually only the m16 variant of the 40mm grenade launcher is called the m203, almost all other guns ahve a different designation for basically the same thing. the m4 uses the m320 varient

also the one under and AK is called a GP-40 I believe. so while m203 is technically right, it really only applies to 40mm under an m16. so calling it a 40mm grenade launcher is more accurate as it applies to more weapons.

Also usually the term pro pipe is used ironically so I don't know if the original poster just has a sense of humor or what.

OT: the tube is just so lame, I realize that in BC2 it has mroe "use" than in MW2 but it's almost more noob because you can fire it almost non stop if you drop an ammo crate and use the grenade upgrade. you can fire probably 8-14 nades before running out of ammo and having to wait for your ammo to reload, it's completely rediculous and in MW2 the 1 man army upgrade provides the same level of lame.

if you only use it to win then it's noob if you use it as a tool now and again then it's not

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
p3t3r said:
Fuck you wall, now you're a door.
This is pretty much the reason why I loved playing Battlefield: Bad Company.

That's all I did in the demo, to be honest.
"Oh look, a wall... BOOM!"
Just walk through it like its nothing.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
It really depends. In TF2, for instance, it's quite difficult to use properly. In Call of Duty, it's basically an instakill. Based on how it's designed, a grenade launcher can easily change from being legitimate to complete noobery.

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
depends on the game.

certain games make their 40mm pretty inefficient when it comes to combat and it takes good knowledge to get something good out of it.
the entire Battlefield franchise is a good example of a game that its 40mm takes skill and finesse to use well.

whereas games like mw2 take absolutely no thought and are very much a noob tube. or instakill bullshit guns.

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
p3t3r said:
fuck you wall now your a door.
you knwo what bugs me about this. is that a 40mm grenade makes a 6 by 6 foot hole in a wall of brick and concrete. I'm no expert in explosive but I feel like the biggest a 40mm could do would be about a 4 foot scorch mark with maybe a 5 inch hole and a bunch of missing concrete, it wouldn't turn a wall into nothing in a second. it might break the hell out of it but not destroy it the way BC2 makes it appear. I realize it's for gameplay and ease of use but you'd think they could have made it take out like half as much as an rpg or something. even though both the RPG and AT4 are shaped charges but that's another discussion not related to concussive force.

Helimocopter

Oct 5, 2009
I just use what is fun to use.
High explosives are fun, as are knives.
But sometime the old school gun powder and lead beat down is the only way to go.