Poll: 4chan works for good?

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
On rare occasions, though I voted no, because, in my mind, helping save the occasional kitten won't undo all the other stuff they've done.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
4chan is like Russia, We may hate it but when a bigger threat comes along we will work together to quiet them down.
Wait, 4 chan has bear cavelry!

crazyguy668

Jul 15, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Bad things 4chan has done:
Mass uploaded flashing images to an epilepsy forum
Does it make me bad that i laughed at that?
i did too thought it was hilarious... im pretty sure im going to hell

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
ALL things can be used as weapons, and all things can be used for "good" purposes.

Good thing the 4chan guys can put their mind to the latter : )

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Alright, just for clarification: 4chan doesn't equal /b/tardation. I visit lot's of 4chans boards (/v/, /g/, /co/ and /vp/) and they really aren't like /b/ at all. I admit I visit /b/ from time to time just to lurk the occasional good threads. But really, I'm pretty sure that most people who talk trash about 4chan haven't even visited the website to take a look themselves.

You should really visit and lurk on a forum before judging it. After all, most people regard the Escapist as a place for elitists while this isn't true either.

EDIT: Actually, don't visit 4chan just yet. It's kind of lame today because of the summercrowd.

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
4chan can be used FOR TAU!

...Seriously though, the art of trolling could probably be put to use in the new form of internet based guerrilla warfare needed to get the politicians to listen to what the voters want, which is kind of actually the entire point of democracy.

Machiavellian007

Mar 2, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
4chan is not a substitute for policing, the police were finding this woman to punish her and investigate.

4chan were looking for her to bully her.
Darling, I didn't say that they were a substitute for the police. That woman did the wrong thing, and 4chan - whatever their no doubt nefarious intent was - aided significantly in tracking that ***** down.

Defyant

Apr 6, 2008
i suppose, yeah. i am assuming you are talking about /b/? seeing as i browse /d/, /h/ and /v/ (sometimes) and they're all pretty chill boards. (well, as chill as /d/ can get).
/b/ is a fucking cesspool though. good has come out of it, i guess.
Judas Iscariot said:
Besides, they are currently trying to help the child in the below link, poor little Mikael, win a contest and get their face on bottles of shampoo.

http://www.lano.no/fylkesvinnere/flest-stemmer

I ask you, how could helping this child possibly be a act of evil?
hahaha oh man that's comedy gold right there

TriggerHappyJoe

Mar 21, 2009
4chan is just a website, it can be used for good the same way that a 747 can be used for bad, it all depends on the application of it, most people on 4chan are assholes, and won't do anything unless it benefits them.

Regular person + audience + anonymity = asshole

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
They could have good intentions, I mean, they are people, y'know, like you[footnote]You are human, correct?[/footnote] and me.

I've used their forums before, including the "dreaded" /b/, and I've noticed there about the same as everyone else, albeit much funnier but at the same time more chaotic with less rules, it's just that they've had a few bad apples in the past and so people make them out to be complete monsters. In truth they're a fun bunch who are pretty similar to the people here.

Salviar

Dec 5, 2009
Machiavellian007 said:
Earlier this week there was footage capture of a woman dumping a cat into a bin. This sparked a huge reaction online, as you may have seen, and eventually led to even 4chan becoming involved to do what they do best and track this woman down.

More information here: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/woman-who-dumped-cat-in-wheelie-bin-tracked-down-20100825-13rme.html

So, Escapists, what do you think? Can 4chan be used for good?
Well, since this has been brought up, I'd like to pose the following question before giving my opinion:

What the heck is 4chan? I know it's a website, I checked it out once and I don't get it. What's the appeal? What does it accomplish? I don't understand!! AH!~

OT: No. :]

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I'm just gonna come out and say it, I fucking love /b/ when it's good. I'm not talking about doing good things I'm talking about when they are funny. I think that they do good things (Punishing this lady, Dusty the cat, Jessie Slaughter, the kid who posted a video of him fucking his dog, I know it was just the one guy but hacking Sarah Palin's email) and they do bad things (getting kids to kill themselves, ruining memorial pages on facebook) but I think that if something does make them mad they will go after it. you just have to put up the Pedo bear symbole in the nights sky and Anon will be there