Poll: 6000 posts and counting: what is your opinion on milestone threads?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
After I got my thousand, it stopped seeming important to keep track. At this point, I've contributed more words to this site than any one of the editors and yet calling attention to any particular milestone seems trivial.

There are always people more willing to engage in the trivial and banal than I and thus my post count will always pale in the face of others. I have less than 10% of the posts of the top posters and my preference for the long form response and my predication for only responding to threads with a premise or comment that interests me ensures that this is where I'll stay. At a handful of posts per day. At my current rate, for example, I'd need 40 years to reach Sassafrass's post count.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
They're okay I guess although being a not very well known if known at all member I feel like it's really a thread mainly for friends of the poster...

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
They're great, I had a little fun with my 1000th.

I don't think I'll ever make it to 5000 though. I just don't have the time to be active enough. My post count would have stayed at something <10 for ages then I am pretty sure it jumped over the course of 6 months or so to something about 200 below what it is now... I've posted that 200 over about 18 months.

I'm far too sporadic to be part of an online community. Shame really.

EDIT: Holy shit. I thought I was still sub 2000.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
*shrugs*

I've posted 2 about posting milestones and one for my landmark badge. I have a half a mind to not post a 50K one, even though I have an idea for it. I dunno. I get the sense that people think I'm flouting a pointless number. I'm really just using it as an excuse to post a silly thread. They get sunk fast anyway... Might as well keep going on with them.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
No because they mostly amount to: hey look at me!

However, this one is fine because it also poses a question with legitimate conversation value.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Meh, they're alright. It's good for a little self indulgence every now and then!
And the titles aren't misleading so I can always look away and ignore them.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
congratulations JoJo! You glorious bastard!

I love the milestone threads, making them viewing them and while I am at it.......LOOK AT MY HIGH POST COUNT!

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
It'd be rather hypocritical of me to say yes. I've done at least two that I remember.
As long as they're actually worth the time to read, and they're not overdone on silly little milestones, they're perfectly fine to me.
Yay, you've wasted more of your life on here! :p

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
I think they're a great idea.

I did one at 4000 & 5000...

...Back in 2010

Now I feel old :(

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I have made one when I reached my 1k post but not after that, I'll make one when I pass the "has posted in 36 different months" badge since I made a promise to continue that in the last thread that was made. Other than that I might make one when I reach 10k. But I am up in a bit under 3k now and that has taken me 2.8 years so if I continue like this then the 10k thread will be in about 7 years or so.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
They are fine at like 5,000 and 10,000, maybe 1,000 as well. Anything other than those ones and it is just excessive.