Poll: A hypothetical questions about games and life...

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Start with the Oddessy.

Then deliberley hold back the further advanced stuff til I think it's ready for release.

You know like how businesses do it now.

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
I wouldn't invent it because i am too lazy to do the programming. I enjoy many many other things besides video games so my life would be pretty much the same.

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
Make reference to the cake being a lie and get befuddled looks from even more people then usual.

reggaerae

Jun 24, 2010
manythings said:
You wake up tomorrow and, by your means of choice (Magic, wacky science experiment, divine intervention), you find yourself in a world where the original "Video Game" inspiration never happened. You are the only person in the world who knows games existed and you have all your memories of life before. Assume everything else is the same just no gaming.

Do you care? What would you do? If you can come up with anything to add feel free.

EDIT:Remember you aren't inventing gaming today, you're inventing gaming from day one.
I would invent gaming, and become super rich!

RathWolf

Apr 14, 2009
All the technology is the same as today, just without video games? Hell, easy enough to reinvent it, especially since I'm already a programmer.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I chose 'invent gaming', but really, how is that even possible? If gaming exists and computers are sophisticated enough that you can play chess against them, then video gaming exists. Ultima doesn't exist but even Solitaire counts.

That said, Tetris would make anyone rich.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
RathWolf said:
All the technology is the same as today, just without video games? Hell, easy enough to reinvent it, especially since I'm already a programmer.
Well like I said before it isn't necessarily going to work in that world just because it worked in the world as we know it. For all you know it could be something people simpler scoff at and you are labelled "that tool who invented gaming" for all eternity, unless you are considered that unimportant that you never are remembered.

Chromanin

Apr 6, 2010
If gaming never happened, do I get back all the money I spent on 20 years of gaming? Maybe I'd actually do something with my life.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Eh, I'd invent gaming. Probably start with Pong and work my way up - my programming skills, for the very little they're worth, were forged playing with ZX-series personal computers anyway.

.. Although that said, if computer tech was still the same as today I might gather people and be a bit more ambitious, lest the market think classic space invaders too ancient-looking beside their flashy word processors.

RathWolf

Apr 14, 2009
manythings said:
RathWolf said:
Well like I said before it isn't necessarily going to work in that world just because it worked in the world as we know it. For all you know it could be something people simpler scoff at and you are labelled "that tool who invented gaming" for all eternity, unless you are considered that unimportant that you never are remembered.
Except you say that everything else is the same. Thus human nature is the same. Besides, since gaming, even if it's not "video gaming" will still exist(board games, card games, D&D, so on), so it's not like the CONCEPT of gaming is foreign, just the idea of using a computer to do so.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Ever see Willy Wonka and the Chocalate Factory?

That, but with gaming.

And no slave midgets. That's just creepy.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
manythings said:
RathWolf said:
If you start off remaking popular games (like the ones The Random One used as examples), I'm pretty sure you could make a modest sum. The reason why video poker sells isn't because it's a video game, but because the game it's based on is addictive in and of its own right.

Now, what would I do if I were in that situation? I already question the reliability of my mind on a daily basis, but suddenly waking up as the only human being with memory of a whole culture would send me into full-on Winston Smith mode.

"Sanity is not statistical. Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows."

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
RathWolf said:
manythings said:
RathWolf said:
Except you say that everything else is the same. Thus human nature is the same. Besides, since gaming, even if it's not "video gaming" will still exist(board games, card games, D&D, so on), so it's not like the CONCEPT of gaming is foreign, just the idea of using a computer to do so.
Specifically, and more complicatedly, lets classify it as a world where gaming of the video variety never happened because the inherent inspirations that resulted in the human mental construct to allow the idea of it to form never occured.

RathWolf

Apr 14, 2009
manythings said:
RathWolf said:
manythings said:
RathWolf said:
Specifically, and more complicatedly, lets classify it as a world where gaming of the video variety never happened because the inherent inspirations that resulted in the human mental construct to allow the idea of it to form never occured.
That still doesn't change anything. Gaming of the non-video variety will still exist, so making it more convenient isn't likely to be shunned, as man always wants more convenience. For example, try playing solitaire with just a deck of cards. It's annoying, especially if you've played it on a computer before. Now, someone offers you a way to do it without the hassle of the deck, and it's on a computer. Bam, mind blown. Now, what if we go into a more complex game, like Tetris, or Minesweeper. It would take incredible effort to replicate those in real life, and here is someone offering you the ability to do it with the click of a button.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
RathWolf said:
That still doesn't change anything. Gaming of the non-video variety will still exist, so making it more convenient isn't likely to be shunned, as man always wants more convenience. For example, try playing solitaire with just a deck of cards. It's annoying, especially if you've played it on a computer before. Now, someone offers you a way to do it without the hassle of the deck, and it's on a computer. Bam, mind blown. Now, what if we go into a more complex game, like Tetris, or Minesweeper. It would take incredible effort to replicate those in real life, and here is someone offering you the ability to do it with the click of a button.
Easy to swallow tablets are made but the hockey puck kind are still sold. Just because you can call something convenient doesn't mean it will be embraced. I could buy a kindle (or whatever your digi-book device of choice is) and have convenient books but I don't think I ever will. I like paper books. I like the feel of them, I like turning the page to continue, I like that it isn't a screen that will jump and change.

RathWolf

Apr 14, 2009
manythings said:
RathWolf said:
Easy to swallow tablets are made but the hockey puck kind are still sold. Just because you can call something convenient doesn't mean it will be embraced. I could buy a kindle (or whatever your digi-book device of choice is) and have convenient books but I don't think I ever will. I like paper books. I like the feel of them, I like turning the page to continue, I like that it isn't a screen that will jump and change.
Ah, but there comes the disconnect. A kindle allows you to read books, something that you can do just fine without the use of technology. So, for the sake of your argument, let's say that convenience doesn't ensure acceptance(despite the fact that it often does). But now, what about something that you cannot replicate in real life? Going back to what I said, even simple games like Tetris or Minesweeper would be nigh-impossible to replicate in real life. Do you really think people would not be the slightest bit intrigued by these new opportunities? That not one person would be inspired by the possibilities revealed by even the simplest game?