Poll: A mysterious artifact is In your hands...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I don't like that it's made of wood and I don't trust the voice for a second. I throw it as hard as I can and go back to my house and don't feed anything because I don't like cats, so why would I have a cat.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
OneCatch said:
I frequent the SCP [http://www.scp-wiki.net/] site. So I drop the artifact, run like hell, and hope it's not already too late. And that I'm not about to be deemed acceptable collateral damage by the inbound MTF.
Don't know, I would probably try to sell it to MC&D or give it to some other rival faction. Probably it would be best if one would research it and understand all of its effects before deciding what to do with it.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Level 7 Dragon said:
OneCatch said:
I frequent the SCP [http://www.scp-wiki.net/] site. So I drop the artifact, run like hell, and hope it's not already too late. And that I'm not about to be deemed acceptable collateral damage by the inbound MTF.
Don't know, I would probably try to sell it to MC&D or give it to some other rival faction. Probably it would be best if one would research it and understand all of its effects before deciding what to do with it.
Much as I'd like loads of money, my life is more valuable, and this artefact would appear to be Euclid at best and definitely malignant. Not going to risk being subject to some of the more horrifying shit that happens to people who mess around with this stuff.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
well i some times... often... ok almost constantly, fantasize of amassing stupid amounts of arcane, magic and/or occult power. But i am also a colonel coward i would get the hell away from forces i cant see or understand and hell is likely where they come from. Additionally its already killed one person, im not adding myself to that list and besides with this sort of thing sometimes death is the least of ones worries

Finally i give the cat back to whoever belongs to it i have trouble looking after myself let alone an animal

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Considering how horrendously allergic I am to cats- if my only alternatives all involve going home to feed a cat that I now live with then hell- may as well go on the adventure. My chances of survival are way higher.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Redlin5 said:
WELL GREAT

Now I have to deal with this asshole. Well, that and thousands of Rheinlanders...
Hahaha... That guy. But yeah, Freelancer is boss.

And I would drop the device, back away quietly and go home. I'm not gonna be messing with stuff I don't understand in the slightest.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
There really aren't enough options... Plus, you assume everyone here enjoys getting drunk/is responsible enough to own cats.

Jokes aside, though:
I'd take the artifact home with me to do a very quick series of experiments into what it is [whether some magic effect happens in specific circumstances such as being submerged or exposed to a short burst of intense heat]. But also try to remember to feed this cat you gave me.

Provided a short day of experiments doesn't kill me in any way, I'd try to go back to the alley to claim adventure, good or bad.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Akytalusia said:
i'd go in, but i couldn't vote because i wouldn't just abandon my cat. i'd have no intention of doing any vacationing without making sure my cat was taken care of. it's not as if i knew ahead of time how long the encounter was going to take. it seems kind of silly to arbitrarily decide that you're choosing one over the other without knowing what's about to happen.
Well it was the most options they allowed me. :( However, option 2 has you covered, as in that scenario, the fate of the cat's meal is not stated, yet the journey can still continue. In that scenario, the cat is both fed and not fed at the same time until decided by the decidee. Plus you may also have the bonus of police back-up, depending their call response time. :p

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Take artifact and go home to feed cat and go to bed. I'll figure out what the hell that thing is when I'm fully sober. I ain't going to listen to no disembodied voice coming from the darkness, that's got "death" written all over it. And I'm so not calling the cops and telling them "Yeah hey I found this dead guy with disappearing blood and heard some creepy voice coming from the dark asking for this thing I have hear." Cause that will go over really well.

Xsjadoblayde said:
How did a person get banned? Sorry! Am highly confused as to why though. Was that an offensive phrase?
HyperDimension neptunia references aren't allowed here?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I'd tell the voice to just wait a few minutes, then run home, grab a bag of food for my cat, and take him back to the scene with me. I'll reward him with treats after he uses his incredibly acute feline senses to decipher the situation before I haphazardly stumble into trouble.

While he's investigating in the shadows, I will announce my return to the voice, and stall it, but not too much, since it has already grown impatient with my leaving so suddenly. After the voice is done scolding me mildly, I will apol...no, I will simply say I needed to reassure myself I wasn't hallucinating, and that it won't happen again because it now has my full, undivided attention (only 90% true, since I still need to stay in communication with my cat). Meanwhile, after my cat nods that he nearly has a vertical drop on the voice's origin, I slowly approach...

I can tell by his tail's curious, almost hypnotic back and forth motion and elevated positioning that he is neither afraid nor reckless in this investigation. He stops, as the voice calls to me again and reminds me of its impatience, like I've forgotten (also 90% true). Just then, my cat lets out a blood curdling HISSSSSS and scurries back in my direction with a worried sounding meow.

We book it home like our lives depended on it, as it very well may have. Only after I lock the door behind us do I ask him what the hell he saw...

His response...
My God...it still chills me to the bone today.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
hanselthecaretaker said:
I'd tell the voice to just wait a few minutes, then run home, grab a bag of food for my cat, and take him back to the scene with me. I'll reward him with treats after he uses his incredibly acute feline senses to decipher the situation before I haphazardly stumble into trouble.

While he's investigating in the shadows, I will announce my return to the voice, and stall it, but not too much, since it has already grown impatient with my leaving so suddenly. After the voice is done scolding me mildly, I will apol...no, I will simply say I needed to reassure myself I wasn't hallucinating, and that it won't happen again because it now has my full, undivided attention (only 90% true, since I still need to stay in communication with my cat). Meanwhile, after my cat nods that he nearly has a vertical drop on the voice's origin, I slowly approach...

I can tell by his tail's curious, almost hypnotic back and forth motion and elevated positioning that he is neither afraid nor reckless in this investigation. He stops, as the voice calls to me again and reminds me of its impatience, like I've forgotten (also 90% true). Just then, my cat lets out a blood curdling HISSSSSS and scurries back in my direction with a worried sounding meow.

We book it home like our lives depended on it, as it very well may have. Only after I lock the door behind us do I ask him what the hell he saw...

His response...
You get the most points, the healthiest magic cat, a free lunch at a high class seedy restaurant, a picnic hamper full of tasty goodies and a mostly happy ending! There of course cannot be a right answer in this dubious land without instruction manuals or end credits, but yours is a convincing argument against such existential musings! ;)

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
A mysterious artifact that people get killed over? That's literally radioactive, or maybe even literally radioactive.

Yeah, literally isn't a very useful word these days.
Could be an alien rave glowstick-like thing... Maybe it's like Tron discs for some Eckie riddled party? You shouldn't be so skeptical.

Hrm, I'd do what the voice says to be honest. I doubt the voice is the one that killed the guy holding it as he pointed downb the alley, right? I mean if he was trying to escape with it wouldn't he just tell me to run with his final moments? Or atleast grab me and look anxious and frightened, while mouthing the words; "Fly, you fool!"

So if the voice desperately wants it (so much so that others murdered to keep it from him) ... I have to wonder how much they'll give me for it. Like, if we're talking obviously alien I'd probably barter it for something I can sell to some drug company or something on the downlow. They pay me a few million for not patenting it or going to the authorities, one of their eggheads takes the credit. Or maybe the cure for mortality ... maybe nanites ... something not obvious if you're not looking for it.

Or maybe for some mystical/supernatural/alien adventure! Barter the artefact for a trip of a lifetime as the voice's employees. I give over the artefact, they pay me to replace the guy that got killed. The only other condition is that they show me alien worlds/supernatural things, and teach me weird occultist stuff.

I'll throw in body removal to sweeten the deal.

------------------

In truth, however? Likely damn near shit myself, and toss the 'artefact' one way while I run in another direction.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

His response...
You get the most points, the healthiest magic cat, a free lunch at a high class seedy restaurant, a picnic hamper full of tasty goodies and a mostly happy ending! There of course cannot be a right answer in this dubious land without instruction manuals or end credits, but yours is a convincing argument against such existential musings! ;)

Thank you Mr. Bear, sir! This is a journey that everyone should take, and arrive at their own conclusions. It is really the only way...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Hrm, I'd do what the voice says to be honest. I doubt the voice is the one that killed the guy holding it as he pointed downb the alley, right? I mean if he was trying to escape with it wouldn't he just tell me to run with his final moments? Or atleast grab me and look anxious and frightened, while mouthing the words; "Fly, you fool!"

So if the voice desperately wants it (so much so that others murdered to keep it from him) ... I have to wonder how much they'll give me for it. Like, if we're talking obviously alien I'd probably barter it for something I can sell to some drug company or something on the downlow. They pay me a few million for not patenting it or going to the authorities, one of their eggheads takes the credit. Or maybe the cure for mortality ... maybe nanites ... something not obvious if you're not looking for it.

Or maybe for some mystical/supernatural/alien adventure! Barter the artefact for a trip of a lifetime as the voice's employees. I give over the artefact, they pay me to replace the guy that got killed. The only other condition is that they show me alien worlds/supernatural things, and teach me weird occultist stuff.

I'll throw in body removal to sweeten the deal.

------------------

In truth, however? Likely damn near shit myself, and toss the 'artefact' one way while I run in another direction.
In modern science, when in doubt, pour liquid nitrogen on it and record the results! That is when all the weird stuff occurs. Plus can you really trust that it won't fall into sinister hands upon sale? Or even if there will be trained headhunters willing to harness any means to obtain the artifact? The paranoia is probably not worth it. Yeah, best throw and run for the safest option. :)