Poll: A small dilemma regarding drug possession

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So, I recently met a friend of a friend. He lives with his mother in a pretty run down neighborhood, and we saw the house for a bit before leaving (we were working on a film project). So I know the address and everything. Later that day, when we were filming with that friend of a friend, he was sneezing a lot and saying he should lay off the cocaine. I was very lightly amused until I realized he wasn't kidding. Apparently, they (obviously) have cocaine at that house, and even give it to the other, 16 year old son.

Now, as everyone knows cocaine is illegal and basically accepted to be, even by the "legalize marijuana" crowd. I have the address and personal information of the house and the people that live there.

I've pretty much already made up my mind what choice I'll make, but I wanted to see what you all thought about the situation.

So what would you do in this case (assuming it was your friend's friend in your area and everything)?

Also, PLEASE DON'T EAT MY POLL PLEASE DON'T EAT MY POLL

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Bring down upon them the slippery rod of justice.

Bad enough that they're doing it, but giving coke to a 16 year old? No god damn way.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
If their giving it to their 16 year old son then YES. Personally I don't do drugs because I don't want to die or suffer from brain damage, but I do think if your an adult and don't endanger anyone else you should be able to abuse your body in whatever fashion you like. Involving children though is inexcusable.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
16 year old son? Um, someone should be doing something about that, yeah.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

.....yeah, it's up to you. On one hand, if they're giving it to their son and killing each other. On the other hand, they're not really hurting anyone else and law enforcement can be unfairly hard on drug users.

Maybe try to stage a private intervention instead of bringing the law in? Idk...

Dissolve

Garroter of Maladjusted Slobs
Apr 27, 2011
Phlakes said:
So, I recently met a friend of a friend. He lives with his mother in a pretty run down neighborhood, and we saw the house for a bit before leaving (we were working on a film project). So I know the address and everything. Later that day, when we were filming with that friend of a friend, he was sneezing a lot and saying he should lay off the cocaine. I was very lightly amused until I realized he wasn't kidding. Apparently, they (obviously) have cocaine at that house, and even give it to the other, 16 year old son.

Now, as everyone knows cocaine is illegal and basically accepted to be, even by the "legalize marijuana" crowd. I have the address and personal information of the house and the people that live there.

I've pretty much already made up my mind what choice I'll make, but I wanted to see what you all thought about the situation.

So what would you do in this case (assuming it was your friend's friend in your area and everything)?

Wait a second, this just doesn't add up. Cocaine is about $100/g on the street, not to mention hard to find. In addition, a normal dose is at least 0.1g. If you're in a run down neighborhood, what is your friend doing with such a rare and expensive drug?

Azaez

Jul 29, 2011
Under normal circumstances I would say drop it because it's none of your buisness, But giving it to a 16 year old, a minor with alot to live for I would report the family...Maybe good can be brought from your call.

KaiusCormere

Mar 19, 2009
I said not unless you believe it is endangering someone. Cocaine probably isn't as bad as having your whole world torn apart by your family going to jail. It may not even stop the kid from getting cocaine if that's what he's into, after all, it's not like they are putting a pistol to his head and making him snort it.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
No, unless they are putting someone at immediate risk, which based on what you told me they are since they shouldn't give the 16 year old kid Cocaine so I say rat them out just like I ratted out my drug smuggling neighbours (filthy bastards wouldn't let me sleep while they were smuggling they're drugs into they're house at FREAKING 1 AM!!!).

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Would I turn them in? No, no I wouldn't. I would ask myself this question: would turning them in be likely to make any of their lives better?

We can't know for sure, but my guess is not. The end result of turning them in would be that most of them end up either in prison, or (in the case of the 16 year old) possibly foster care (but also possibly still prison). Now maybe you don't live in America, and your prison system works, but the American prison system is not a rehabilitation system. Most of the people who go into our prisons, just come out worse. So by turning them in, all you'll really be doing is making their lives more miserable.

As for the 16 year old, even if he doesn't go to prison himself, is foster care the environment you really want to put him into? Hell, I don't have statistics, but I do have the misfortune of being a cashier at Walmart (and witnessing the daily parade of human misery that entails), and let me tell you this. A lot of the people who adopt children from situations like this, do it for one reason: money. They want food stamps and other subsidies, and often it's all too clear that they use that money as a cushion with which to be able to afford other drugs, some of which (Meth is really popular where I live) are even worse than cocaine.

You have to make a choice between two really shitty situations here. One leaves a 16 year old boy in a situation where he's using cocaine. The other breaks apart a family, probably putting all of them (including the 16 year old) into even worse situations.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Phlakes said:

I think I should ask the WHY of the having and administering of the cocaine, please.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Dissolve said:
Phlakes said:

Wait a second, this just doesn't add up. Cocaine is about $100/g on the street, not to mention hard to find. In addition, a normal dose is at least 0.1g. If you're in a run down neighborhood, what is your friend doing with such a rare and expensive drug?

What? Really? Do you think drug dealers come from the posh side of town? Ever heard of a pusher doing business on the street from the back of his Ferrari? You are a lot more likely to find strong drugs in poor areas than in rich ones. And hard to find? In a crappy neighborhood? Isn't drugs what most crappy neighborhoods are famous for?? Hell, and it's Cocaine. That is not hard to find. It's likely the easiest drug you can get out there

As for the OP, I think calling the authorities based on a hunch is a bad idea. You don't really know the people, you don't really know what's going on in there. As for the 16-year old, what if he gets arrested for possession as well? A drug habit can he shaken off but an arrest goes on your permanent record and fucks up your chance for employment for the rest of your life.

My advice is contact your mutual friend and discuss the matter. Maybe he can shed more light on things. Maybe contact some lawyer or something and find out what to expect and try to solve the problem in some other way than calling the cops.

There is another aspect of things: it might just come down to you being summoned to court as a witness against these people and that might just expose you to danger from the drug dealers they may or may not be entangled with.

Consider your information carefully and even more so if you want this to have anything to do with you.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
VladG said:
Dissolve said:
Phlakes said:

What? Really? Do you think drug dealers come from the posh side of town? Ever heard of a pusher doing business on the street from the back of his Ferrari? You are a lot more likely to find strong drugs in poor areas than in rich ones. And hard to find? In a crappy neighborhood? Isn't drugs what most crappy neighborhoods are famous for?? Hell, and it's Cocaine. That is not hard to find. It's likely the easiest drug you can get out there
It's all too clear that you've done a lot of research, and have a lot of first hand knowledge, regarding the drug game.

Seriously man? First off, Cocaine and Crack are pretty similar, but it's also very common knowledge that Crack is the drug that tends to be possessed more commonly by those who are hard up for cash, while Cocaine actually has a history of being popular with wealthier individuals (there is also a lot of speculation regarding the fact that Crack possession tends to carry a heftier prison sentence than Cocaine).

Secondly, yes, some drug dealers do come from the posh side of town. They have a valuable commodity that's in high demand. And the good ones actually can make a lot of money. Hell, I happen to personally know some of them.

Thus my advice to you: sometimes it's better to stop and ask yourself if you actually know what you're talking about before you try to make someone else look stupid.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
[quote="Glass Joe the Champ" post="18.303544.12152556"On the other hand, they're not really hurting anyone else and law enforcement can be unfairly hard on drug users.
[/quote]

I don't how the law would treat the 16 year old, would be my only concern. If it's the US you're from - I certainly wouldn't inflict the criminal justice system on anyone who didn't really really deserve it.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
Cocaine is the easiest of the drugs to get and the run down area will have alot more of it because some poor kid will see he can get 500 euro's worth on lay(borrow on time) and sell it in bags for a total of 1000 euro if split into 10 bags of 1.6 grams going at 100 euro each then he gives the dealer his 500 back and keeps the 500 profit or gives the 500 back and buy 500 worth also and repeats the process.

Thats the reason coke is so popular because the return on dealing it is massive unlike weed where you make hardly anything of dealing weed unless your dealing bars.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Cocaine isn't actually all that terrible, it's just about how often you take it. Judging by the reactions you were seeing, they were taking it a lot.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Dissolve said:
Phlakes said:

They live in a run down area so that they can afford the drugs most likely.

I would report them, I'm a dick like that.