Poll: A small dilemma regarding drug possession

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
Phlakes said:
Now, as everyone knows cocaine is illegal and basically accepted to be, even by the "legalize marijuana" crowd.
No? I don't care what other people do with their body. Don't get me wrong, I think every effort should be made to get him off the stuff, but I don't think he or anyone else should go to jail for this.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
Heathrow said:
I can not urge you enough to not do what you are considering, you owe this family the courtesy of telling them you plan on reporting them. After all they were honest with you about their use of drugs, shouldn't you be honest with them about how you feel?

He seems to want all of the power and satisfaction of turning them in with none of the risk or responsibility for the aftermath. Not only that, but he's ignoring all the facts about how this will do far more harm than good to all those involved except him, and hiding behind the "IT's DA Law" statement.

This is exactly what I meant by brainwashed. The "drugs are bad" mentality is far too prevalent in people who have little or no experience with them, or refuse to believe that responsible users exist because they've only seen the worst. Formulating an opinion whilst ignoring the facts is one of the most dangerous things a person can do.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Personally, I wouldn't. Perhaps it's not the Citizen of the Year choice but it's the truth. It doesn't seem like anything anyone says is going to change your mind but it seems like an intrusive and ill-informed decision.

All I can say is that I hope it works out okay for that family and your "righteous" act doesn't mess them up too badly.

silent_noir_67

May 31, 2011
FuktLogik said:
silent_noir_67 said:
I mean cocaine is getting up there with gangs and mobs and stuff soo yeahh...
You've learned everything you know about drugs from T.V, haven't you?
Negative.

I am not saying that everyone who does cocaine or deals cocaine is involved in organized crime.

I am saying that gangs use cocaine as a fundraiser for other operations. Organized crime is involved somewhere along the chain of production. You can't smuggle thousands of tons of an illegal substance into the international community without some organization.

clipse15

May 18, 2009
Vykrel said:
FuktLogik said:
Vykrel said:
the 16 year old son part makes me say yes, you should report them to the police.

its probably already too late for that kid. i guarantee hes going to be an addict for the next ten years or so.
Are you speaking from any kind of personal experience, or just talking out your ass?
please, dont be a dick.

im mainly just speculating. honestly, when you picture a 16 year old that not only does hard drugs, but was introduced to them by his parents, do you picture that kid doing okay in life?

the only personal experience i have is my cousin who got introduced to drugs at a young age, and still does them in his late twenties. the last i heard of him, he was hiding his truck to avoid having it get repossessed, and he was leeching off of our grandfather.

also, it may have been easy for you to quit, but that might be because whenever you went to visit mom and dad, they werent snorting cocaine and inviting you to join them. just sayin
You mean someone like Robert Downey JR? No one is beyond getting over their addiction.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
FuktLogik said:
He seems to want all of the power and satisfaction of turning them in with none of the risk or responsibility for the aftermath. Not only that, but he's ignoring all the facts about how this will do far more harm than good to all those involved except him, and hiding behind the "IT's DA Law" statement.

This is exactly what I meant by brainwashed. The "drugs are bad" mentality is far too prevalent in people who have little or no experience with them, or refuse to believe that responsible users exist because they've only seen the worst. Formulating an opinion whilst ignoring the facts is one of the most dangerous things a person can do.
Still, being brainwashed is not the same thing as not understanding all perspectives of an issue. It is the easiest crime in the world to be ignorant, we are all guilty of it and making someone feel small because they are unknowing will not encourage them to learn anything.

You are a voice for reason in this discussion, I would hope you adjust your rhetoric to match.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Me? I would call the cops on this.

But that's just my "Obey the laws passed by legitimate authority" personality.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
dlsevern said:
Nope, none of your business. Stay out of it.
so if you witness a murder, you wouldnt report it because it isnt your problem.
(i think) thats acting as an accessory and obstruction of justice.
i would report pretty much any drug (except maybe weed.)

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
JochemDude said:
Somehow I doubt putting the parents of a 16 year old cocaine user behind bars is going to help him too much. Sure it's a bad thing, then again your laws are way too harsh to report them. The US system is only meant as punishment, not rehabilitation. I would say, no don't do it.
There can't be rehabilitation, especially on drugged out people without punishment. Also I would say that getting that kid away from his parents WOULD help him quite abit since they are moronic enough to expose their son to cocaine. Foster homes suck but at least he won't have access to hard drugs.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
you know cocaine is pretty expensive, you should steal it. that way you'll have a clean consciense knowing they dont have it anymore AND you will have more money! possibly to by more cocaine and then sell it for more money and so on...

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
Gladiateher said:
There can't be rehabilitation, especially on drugged out people without punishment. Also I would say that getting that kid away from his parents WOULD help him quite abit since they are moronic enough to expose their son to cocaine. Foster homes suck but at least he won't have access to hard drugs.
Foster families are temporary, they are meant to give a child short term shelter until other living arrangements can be made. If he's lucky the state will decide his parents are able guardians and return him to their custody, if they are judged unfit then close family or friends are sought as an alternative. If that is unfeasible then an adoption by a stranger will be considered.

Of course that's just a general best case scenario, in reality the functioning of foster care and social aid varies widely between different cities and states. If he is unlucky he might end up shunted from foster family to foster family or relegated to a group home. He might be kept from drugs and crime during this time but no parent is infallible so there's no guarantee of that either.

As a rule I tend to think that government can help us solve our problems but the sad truth is that social aid is not funded well enough to be truly effective, at this point the government can not hope to reliably offer parenting as good as even a drug affected household is capable of offering.

Unless violent abuses are taking place and as long as he is content then I can think of no better place for this boy to be than with his family.

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
Heathrow said:
Gladiateher said:
Foster families are temporary, they are meant to give a child short term shelter until other living arrangements can be made. If he's lucky the state will decide his parents are able guardians and return him to their custody, if they are judged unfit then close family or friends are sought as an alternative. If that is unfeasible then an adoption by a stranger will be considered.

Of course that's just a general best case scenario, in reality the functioning of foster care and social aid varies widely between different cities and states. If he is unlucky he might end up shunted from foster family to foster family or relegated to a group home. He might be kept from drugs and crime during this time but no parent is infallible so there's no guarantee of that either.

As a rule I tend to think that government can help us solve our problems but the sad truth is that social aid is not funded well enough to be truly effective, at this point the government can not hope to reliably offer parenting as good as even a drug affected household is capable of offering.

Unless violent abuses are taking place and as long as he is content then I can think of no better place for this boy to be than with his family.
You make some good points and I see where your coming from, I really do, but I would definitely consider exposure to hard drugs if not the same than at least close to the same as violent abuse. Hardcore drugs can screw someone up and even kill them. It could just be my own bias but from what little I do know about drugs I just think they're so awful especially for an undeveloped kid.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
clipse15 said:
You mean someone like Robert Downey JR? No one is beyond getting over their addiction.
i did say about ten years, didnt i? no doubt, hell get over drugs eventually. but i think a decent chunk of his life will revolve around it.

thats just a guess, mind you. please dont assume i think i know the guy.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I wouldn't get involved. I'm anti illegal drugs even weed. When it comes down to it I avoid everything to do it them. It's easy to do and has worked out fine for me.

SalmonReady

Jul 30, 2011
If you report them to the police then you have indeed been brainwashed.

Reporting them will do far more damage than cocaine could ever do. Breaking up a family and turning them into criminals in the eyes of the law and others for the rest of their lives. Of course they probably shouldn't be doing coke. And even more they definitely shouldn't be giving it to a 16 year old, but it's their life. They can lead it how they want.

You are not God...You can't decide what's right and wrong and act as a moral arbiter of justice. Even if you could, the responsible and fair solution is to talk to them first and warn them.

Going straight to the police is underhand, deceitful and spiteful. Filling yourself with a feeling of superiority and cleanliness as you watch less fortunate people suffer...all in the name of "the law".

If that's not brainwashing, I don't know what is.

I've never posted here before. I've read a lot of the threads, but this one really merited my creating an account...can't believe you're even considering this. If you go to the police without telling them, then the world is a far worse place than I thought.

I don't in any way mean this post to be insulting. It just shocked me that someone could show such a disregard for other peoples' lives. It's just like them giving coke to a minor in a way...

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
scumofsociety said:
Gladiateher said:
You make some good points and I see where your coming from, I really do, but I would definitely consider exposure to hard drugs if not the same than at least close to the same as violent abuse. Hardcore drugs can screw someone up and even kill them. It could just be my own bias but from what little I do know about drugs I just think they're so awful especially for an undeveloped kid.
Do you honestly think being in a foster home will remove access to hard drugs?

If he's from a "bad" neighbourhood it will be everywhere, his friends, relatives, neighbours, it's endemic. If he is doing coke it's because he wants to, not because he's being forced, he'll get hold of it no matter what anyone tries to do, better it comes from a reliable source, although as I already mentioned IDK why people think it's coming from his parents, it's far more likely to be friends and acquaintences. Take him away from his family and he will hate everyone and everything that has anything to do with that, quite rightly in my opinion.

Offer the guy support to stop if he wants it but otherwise sending low end users throught the judicial system does them more harm than good.
Again, I see where your coming from. I really do. However I'm operating, as we should be, off of the information that was posted here. OP believes his parents are providing drugs for him. Also, if it is as you say a friend or a acquaintance that is providing him the drugs, the state won't take him away from his parents unless they are somehow guilty of helping in one way or another. They won't just take OP's word for it and haul off his parents without evidence of their wrongdoing. Lastly, you can't just go out and find cocaine. If his parents aren't giving him the coke than he would have to buy it himself.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
Heathrow said:
Still, being brainwashed is not the same thing as not understanding all perspectives of an issue. It is the easiest crime in the world to be ignorant, we are all guilty of it and making someone feel small because they are unknowing will not encourage them to learn anything.
That's just it though. Ignorance as a result of your own inability or unwillingness to search for the truth is indeed just ignorance. Ignorance as a result of you believing every word that you've been told by the authorities without wondering why you're being told that is being brainwashed, in my view at least.

Myself and others have pointed out the possible and likely repercussions for his actions, but he doesn't seem to really care. I did not set out with the intention of belittling him, just pointing out what will be achieved by his actions, but stubborn people are difficult to converse with or teach.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I would just stay out of it, they might be damaging their health, but they dont deserve to go to jail for it.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
Kpt._Rob said:
Would I turn them in? No, no I wouldn't. I would ask myself this question: would turning them in be likely to make any of their lives better?

We can't know for sure, but my guess is not. The end result of turning them in would be that most of them end up either in prison, or (in the case of the 16 year old) possibly foster care (but also possibly still prison). Now maybe you don't live in America, and your prison system works, but the American prison system is not a rehabilitation system. Most of the people who go into our prisons, just come out worse. So by turning them in, all you'll really be doing is making their lives more miserable.

As for the 16 year old, even if he doesn't go to prison himself, is foster care the environment you really want to put him into? Hell, I don't have statistics, but I do have the misfortune of being a cashier at Walmart (and witnessing the daily parade of human misery that entails), and let me tell you this. A lot of the people who adopt children from situations like this, do it for one reason: money. They want food stamps and other subsidies, and often it's all too clear that they use that money as a cushion with which to be able to afford other drugs, some of which (Meth is really popular where I live) are even worse than cocaine.

You have to make a choice between two really shitty situations here. One leaves a 16 year old boy in a situation where he's using cocaine. The other breaks apart a family, probably putting all of them (including the 16 year old) into even worse situations.
Okay I didnt read the post because im pretty firm on my position, it doesn't hurt anyone but themselves so let them be. Then i read the post and said =O and initial reaction was destroy the parents! But then after the initial rage burst this guys speech of clarity is a basic summary of everything i thought.

And even before that, they have nothing to do with you... why get involved?