Poll: A Starcraft II Question

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
So I've finally played 52 1v1 matches on battle.net in Starcraft II, I play the Zerg and am beginning to have internal conflict whether a early zergling rush is okay.

My Argument for the Early Zergling Rush: Starcraft II (and maybe Starcraft) gives both the Protoss and Terran the ability to wall off access to their base, and most player's whom aren't brand new to the multiplayer know to wall up when facing a Zerg. This tactic helps not only prevent any ground unit's from scouting their base but gives them a defence line that is easily maintainable throughout the early to mid game stages, so this strategy SHOULD be utilized. And also the Lawful Evil reason for the Zergling rush: They put it in the game so I can do it if I want.

My Argument Against the Early Zergling Rush: The Early Zergling Rush usually catches beginning players (especially of the protoss race, my last three games where against protoss and my early zergling rush crippled them from the beginning or they just quit after their probes were eaten) and could turn new players off the game (I also feel a little bad when I see their profile is under 20 games) this also takes away from "the spirit of the game".

Those are my arguments For and Against, and I'm sure that people can point out other For or Against reasons, but I want some input.

Should I be stopped? Or go Terran?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Keep doing whatever you need to do to win the game. Personally, I don't care for RTS. Too stressful.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
How will you ever get better if you use the same tactic every game? And most of the people like long games, that's the essence of strategy games, and with zergling rushing you just force the game to end, one way or another, in the first five minutes.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Depends on how early is early. If you're 6 pooling, that's pretty bad. You can do that once in a while I guess if you're bored, but generally you should avoid all-in cheesy strategies like that, because no matter if you win or lose, you are not improving as a player, and that's the point of laddering in Starcraft. Practicing fast expand/fast gas + zergling speed + harass builds are going to get you much higher on the ladder than all-in rushing.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Personally I'm far more scared of a Terran rush than a Zerg one. It's always good to change up your playstyle, otherwise you get predictable and people know what you're going to do without even scouting you. At the same time, don't rush every game or you won't know how to handle a macro game when those happen. Just find a good balance that works for you.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
In general, if you can overcome it through improving in skill, then it's legitimate until it's patched out; which I don't think it will be. Zergling rush is one of the iconic parts of the franchise, and it really is incredibly easy to counter for both races with just a small amount of preparation. A bigger question would be the M&M rush and early marauder kiting, which are a /much/ bigger threat and require a more significant investment in order for protoss to counter.

BoredPixel

Jan 31, 2011
Its in the game, hell its even used in high-level tournaments(Korean ones nonetheless). But the thing with it is, zerg rushing, and cheesy all-in tactics overall, don't actually make you a better player. You learn nothing by going all-in cheese, it doesn't improve your game. You shouldn't do it purely because of this. Not because you feel bad for your opponent who might be new.

Besides, since its all-in, if it fails you'll be in a bad position for the rest of the game. Very often if it fails you're going to lose. And at higher levels people are going to know how to counter cheese. Sure you might have lots of wins, but at one point you're not going to be able to do anything else but all-in cheese or lose because everyone else is just better than you. Maybe I'm just crazy but that doesn't sound very fun.

EDIT: Argh, I should really refresh the thread before finishing a long post to see if what I've said has already been said.

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
Carnagath said:
Depends on how early is early. If you're 6 pooling, that's pretty bad. You can do that once in a while I guess if you're bored, but generally you should avoid all-in cheesy strategies like that, because no matter if you win or lose, you are not improving as a player, and that's the point of laddering in Starcraft. Practicing fast expand/fast gas + zergling speed + harass builds are going to get you much higher on the ladder than all-in rushing.
I do the eight pool, and while my pool is down pump out two more workers and a overlord so when my pool finishes I got 3 larva ready for a early harass, my intent isn't to end the game, just make sure they don't have a edge but many players drop out once I kill off some workers and a supply depot/pylon, but it is in no way a "all in" while my zergling harass I put down my next steps of to get the build I think I may need out (getting a lair, or roach warren, perhaps banelings if I'm fighting a terran) and usually expand around 26 suply whether my harass managed to cut my enemy production down or not.

Soods said:
How will you ever get better if you use the same tactic every game? And most of the people like long games, that's the essence of strategy games, and with zergling rushing you just force the game to end, one way or another, in the first five minutes.
I enjoy long macro games belive it or not, but most people GG out even if I do reversable damage. <3 Brood Lords <3

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Roamin11 said:
Keep in mind I have never played startcraft 2 but I watch day9 like a hawk! I also know a lot for non player.

Ling rushes have been happening since starcraft was made, they are a good tactic and hard to stop. Bad players don't become good by beating easy people, you shouldn't change your rush on the basis of owning face.

You should change it on the fact that you can make a game last longer dominate harder by building queens till you have like 20 of them, make them all drop a creep tumour (you will own the map in minutes) then lava vomit and have a few stay back doing that and the rest tranfusing your army. I have seen a small army flatten massive protoss and terran army and only losing 3-4 units doing it.

I have seen catz make master level players look like bronze level players doing it, just try it.

Just look at it!

EDIT: out of the mouth of a 12 year, tornament winning starcraft player day9 "there is no such thing as cheese!". (although he does actually say cheese in the vid, HA!)

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Building a wall at your ramp is not a good idea unless you're a terran player and can liftoff buildings/lower your barracks. As a protoss player, you can build a semi-wall but building such that you only have a one-block wide space out of your base, which you block with a zealot.

Anyway, should zerg rushes be in the game? Absolutely. If you can pull off a zergling rush, it is your opponent's fault for not scouting for it, and for not preparing. Have I lost to Zergling rushes? Yes, I have. But every time I did, it's been my own fault for failing to anticipate what was going to happen based on what I saw in his base (or panicking instead of preparing).

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
Stay Zerg! The only thing that isn't OK when it comes to Starcraft is playing terran. Zerg is great and as you keep playing you will realize that a zerg rush wont win a game in a higher league, but it's still great with an early push.

No more turtle tactics!

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
You could keep doing it if you want, but it's kind of an all-in strategy, and if it fails you pretty much lose the game. Players at higher levels are much more competent at dealing with strategies like that. Another tip, if you don't already know. If you zergling rush a zerg, build a spine crawler in their base. Maybe even pull all of your drones off the line as well.