Poll: A theoretical moral dilemma

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
SpcyhknBC said:
Why is everyone hating on the specifics? I don't think the OP wanted you to nitpick that he has assigned one ship to data keeping, just call it an ark and it is there to accomplish any and all terraforming projects when they arrive at Earth 2.
/hug

But I guess nitpicking about the details is one way to avoid making the choice.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Grospoliner said:
Well if I was in charge, I would be ordering the ships to be built to exacting specifications that will sustain the human population for the duration of a sub-light trip. In other words, the ship would be large enough to house food growth facilities for all 100k passengers, cold sleep systems to keep them alive and or from aging, and automated systems to keep the ship in working order, along with human crew work rotations. I would also build space bound linear motor catapults to get the ships up to speed thereby reducing the need to consume additional fuel. Each ship would also be equipped with on board processing and fabrication plants so they can mine asteroids and process fuel.

We have the engineering sciences so that we can overcome our technical limitations, there's never just one answer.
You have the Star of Chaos as your avatar, you're not supposed to be rational!

(ie, I fully agree. Heretic.)

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i would actually produce more fuel, as some of the modern day rocket propellants are made from liquid hydrogen... problem solved

Rubashov

Jun 23, 2010
Leave the data ship. Introducing trillions of new species to an already-functioning ecosystem would just destroy everything useful and interesting about the new planet.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Leave behind the soldier ship. Its their job and mission to serve and protect the people in their nation. if they are true soldiers, there wouldnt even be a question, and tehy would volunteer themselves to stay.

Besides, most soldiers are prepared for short survival missions, not long standing colonizations. Im sure 90K soldiers is more than enough to encounter what we find, if what we find can even be overcome by the conventional weapons the world develops by that point.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
The planning was that bad huh? I always thought that since humans are trying so hard to make ourselves extinct, we aren't worth saving at all.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Popadoo said:
Why do we need the military? Are we fighting aliens? If the world has banded together to save the human race surely there wouldn't be need for wars!
This. Either these people are massive space-fascists, in which case I wouldn't be in charge in the first place, or humanity has evolved beyond the need for war.

Though to be honest, I would have probably joined a terrorist group the moment they started deciding humanity's fate based on genetic tests.

Not surprised that most people want to sacrifice civilian ships. Most people don't think any farther than it might be dangerous out there. Soldiers are useful for getting established (assuming there will even be a conflict), but they'll be useless for anything but basic labor when you need so start building an actual society. Think of the problems some war veterans have adjusting to normal society, when they return after a campaign. Now multiply that by 100. On a different planet. Ouch.

Kordie

Oct 6, 2011
poleboy said:
This. Either these people are massive space-fascists, in which case I wouldn't be in charge in the first place, or humanity has evolved beyond the need for war.

Though to be honest, I would have probably joined a terrorist group the moment they started deciding humanity's fate based on genetic tests.
I find it ironic stating that we wont need a military force, and then saying you'd be a terrorist creating a scenario that needs a military force... Granted, it would need it for protection on launch day, and not as much in space. As far as the concept that we may evolve beyond war back home, unless we have some massive tech advances in cloaking or force fields for protection, I would remind people that in this scenario we are going into the unknown. We may not wage war, that does not mean others won't.

I maintain that making a black and white decision of either military or civilian is short sighted, there was a ranking system that got these people on board, let the bottom 100k out.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
That isn't really a Dilemma in my opinion.

The soldiers would gladly sacrifice their lives to protect the civilians. They signed up for it. So here is their chance. They don't even need to bleed for it, no torture no pain no raping by a dinosaur while shooting its tail, no post-traumatic-stress syndrome. Just one big explosion. I think all of us are better off this way.
If our Earth 2.0 can't be a peaceful Utopian society, humanity doesn't deserve that chance at all.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Why do we need a military in outer space?
The way you set up the question, it sounds like mankind has been unified in the effort to avoid the apocalypse. I see no need for a military at all in this situation.
In fact, I believe a military would only serve to create conflict in such a situation.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
First I'd find out the cause of the lack of fuel, and slap some people around if needed.

Moving the data to another ship would be my first choice. This would be explored and done if at all possible.

If that isn't possible, then I'd order someone to grab me the gender stats for the military ship. Assuming the female/male ratio is at least acceptable, that's the ship going.

If the gender ratio isn't acceptable, then some of those Soldiers are going to have to stay home so we can keep a few more females alive.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
I'd abandon data ship. Introducing Earth's specimens to new environment (assuming we find one) would probably end in disaster just like it was done plenty of times before. And i strongly believe that we can make it without Panda bears.

And no, i don't think so that preservance of history and heritage is much more important than future.

Mordreich

Mar 20, 2010
As the Über Prime Minister-General, I would assumt that the military is in my employ. And Based on current world trends, the people hate thier elected officials. I say "Show them the same respect they would show you. Throw 'em to the wolves!". Kill all civvies!

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
One civlian ship.

19 civs, 2 mil, 1 tech is best.
20 civs, 1 mil, 1 tech is next.
20 civs, 2 mil, 0 tech is worst.

This would be much more of a dilemma if there was only one of each ship.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
I'd personally leave one of the 2 military ships behind. If there's 20 civilian ships, anticipating that on those are a whole host of specialized professions, such as masons, engineers, cooks, counselors, scientists and so on, it's more important to have them.

Besides, there's still one military ship, and I'd assume that if we're moving to a new planet somewhere it's going to be all sunshine and rainbows because we'd realize how bleak our past of military oppression was, therefore a small armed force to teach future generations military tactic etc will be sufficient.