Poll: According to my peers, PC gaming is inferior to consoles.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
I prefer PC gaming not for the graphics (don't care about those), but rather:

1. Keyboard/mouse > dual-shock
2. Mod support

English Stew

Apr 23, 2011
Despite doing the vast majority of my gaming on console, and what little PC gaming I do on a netbook, I voted superior. Why? Stuff's cheaper on Steam, mods are basically free DLC that's often more creative than the real thing, online play generally has more players, and a good rig will usually provide better graphics than a console.

Still, this only a slight superiority, and depends entirely on what you want out of a game. The reason I bought a console instead of a good PC initially is that there were more games I was interested in that were exclusive to that console than for PC, for instance. Now, I'm considering getting a medium powered PC so that I can do multi-player with my PC gamer friends, as well a play a number of classic games that are no longer available on console. A platform is only as good as the games you play on it; PC is just a bit more robust, and that's why I give it the edge.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Oh! So close to having a reasonable and sane post. Then you ruin it by the old "Replace a word with shit in something's name" route.
That's my honest opinion about the DualShock. It's a terrible design that somehow became insanely popular. Thus, I hate it. Thus, shit.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Technically speaking, PC gaming sure is better. Value wise, PC gaming is also better. Prefer the simplicity and ease of access of a console? Sure, why not, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong.

I have a PS3 mainly because I can't live without Metal Gear Solid, but I prefer PC games because I have a choice in the matter of what I can do (IE controls, modifications etc) and multi task while I play.

Your friends don't have much of an argument beyond "because I said so".

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Rodrigo Girao said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Oh! So close to having a reasonable and sane post. Then you ruin it by the old "Replace a word with shit in something's name" route.
That's my honest opinion about the DualShock. It's a terrible design that somehow became insanely popular. Thus, I hate it. Thus, shit.
Then say it in a way that isn't inflammatory. This thread is already going to end up badly, why contribute to it?

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
[http://www.freecodesource.com]

Some people prefer PC gaming, some people prefer console gaming.
/thread

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
There's nothing wrong with being a console gamer. People who play on consoles get a less expensive piece of standardized hardware that is easier to comprehensively test software for, leading to less buggy releases. Modern consoles are quite powerful and capable of creating compelling experiences, and the larger audience for many consoles means a larger pool of people to play with for many of those experiences.

There's also nothing wrong with being a PC gamer. Modern PCs are capable of playing games at smooth frame rates at resolutions higher than the biggest HDTV, sometimes on multiple monitors. The PC remains the platform with the lowest barriers for entry, making it an excellent choice for independent games and innovative projects without big-studio backing. Mouse and keyboard remains the preferred interface for many games, and essentially the only interface anyone considers for in-depth strategy. PC gamers have options to understand and tinker with their systems on both hardware and software levels if they choose, and even to modify some games to enrich others' experiences.

There's nothing wrong with being either, or both. Let the persecution complex go.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The only positive answer, Yes, is at only 6.4%.

I prefer PC gaming for the controls, and the generally higher resolution, and how more consistently I can get a good framerate.

Graphics whoring is rather tangential, to be honest the games I msot value on PC have been the likes of Serious Sam, TF2 and Left 4 Dead, which a 360 is graphically more than capable of (though it DOES seem to struggle with both a high resolution and a high framerate). I never really got into Crysis.

I mean I have gone straight from Resistance 2 on my PS3 to Doom 2 and enjoyed the latter FAR more!

To me graphics are only good for doing something, not in itself. Like Bioshock's wonderful ruined Art-Deco styling or Portal 2's corrupt-Apple-Mac kind of look.

It's not like I would never play console games, or that I'm incapable of enjoying console games, I have had fun playing Black Ops split-screen on 360 with some mates, but that's it just not as fun. I don't feel I have as much control with the game using a gamepad.

Though I do wish PC games were made a bit more accessible, an the industry does seem to be going in that direction with games that have lower barrier to entry and are far more flexible, though I think there are some elements of console gaming that could be lifted and added to PC gaming to improve it for newcomers at no cost to the established crowd.

Captcha: role-based. eedbro

lol

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
poiumty said:
According to my peers, PC gaming is inferior to consoles.

Forgive them God, for they do not know what they speak of.

Just kidding. I'm an atheist.
I still believe God should forgive their foolish notions.
:p

It's only right they try and redeem themselves

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Nope. I think they all have their perks.

I own a PS3, XBox 360 and a Gaming Laptop and I use each one for specific games and requirements.

So let the console wars rage on, while I enjoy the best of all worlds

Crazedc00k

Mar 29, 2011
Danny 6Speed said:
You are not part of a Glorious Golden Race.

I hate it when PC gamers think they are better than me.
comes up
I honestly think this is talked up too much outside the PC community. As a PC gamer conversing with my fellow PC gamers, I haven't encountered a situation where console players are derided as "inferior." Are there assholes amongst us? Sure, but there are a lot people who will call you a fag if you don't own an Xbox or. . . I don't know, not Japanese enough if you don't have a PS3. Point is, the large majority of PC gamers are merely rational people who simply prefer the PC the same way you prefer the console of your choice.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I'm a pc gamer and will admit it truly is superior but i don't rub that into anyones face. Why is it superior? Well:
- It's more powerfull, better graphics on the top end machines
- Better multiplayer (more people too)
- modding
- Choice of controls (mouse+keyboard or gamepad)
- STEAM is far better than XBL Marketplace or the PSN store by a longshot

I could go on but this is just to name a few.

Everyone can make their choice of platform and I respect that.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
None of this is superior to the other, all of the systems are for different things.
The pc allows for modding, dedicated servers and a huge indie market.
However it adds things like piracy and DRM to the market.
The ps3 has far superior graphics to the 360 in some cases, while it has a higher price point and a lot less games.
The 360 has a lot of exclusives and a decent online community, and of course party chat.
However it like previously stated can have worse graphics and an more hardware difficulties than the Playstation.
Also, if you really want to think about it all of the systems have their own exclusives and people buy the systems for different reasons.
Oh yeah the point, sorta forgot about that, saying one system is better is stupid, so are fanboys for any of the systems.

alimarin

Jun 4, 2009
Well, I come back a couple hours later from Skyrim, and I see 2 extra pages of posts, I guess I hit a rather controversial subject.

I, myself voted apples and oranges, computers are a lot different than consoles, and require a lot more effort put into, compared to consoles, which are just 'Insert Disk to play'

Hardware-wise, same thing. Consoles are heavily modified versions of PC hardware intended to have ease of access for general audiences, PCs require the user to understand how to work their computer, and are of modular design so parts can be switched in and out. Most people don't know how to simply put together a computer, and that's why people just buy off the shelf complete desktops from local electronics stores rather than ordering all the parts online. Which ends up ripping them off by retail stores overpricing outdated hardware.

When it comes down to it, technically it is superior (Hardware, software, and games-wise), the user-base is both malignant and beneficial to the gaming industry and community, and the overall effect is that it probably may have more sway in the future of the said industry more than consoles will in the coming years.

That, or the gaming market will eventually entirely ditch PCs, which would make me a very unhappy person.
Some company's CEO will be threatened with arson and sodomy with foreign objects. (I wouldn't be surprised if they already were.)

Strangely, Bobby Kotick hasn't been in the news... You'd think he'd be ranting about how the next CoD will be awesome.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
I've got a PC and a PS3, so I can take the moral high ground while you fanboys destroy each other.

I don't prefer either platform, i just like games god dammit!
Looks like you and I are on same page here. Best of both worlds in my opinion. :D