Poll: According to my peers, PC gaming is inferior to consoles.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
franconbean said:
I am a PC gamer, but it was hard to hear that "PC gaming is dead, get a console, get with the times" from a guy from Bethseda when I when to Eurogamer to try out skyrim.
HAH.

First I'd turn around and tell him flat out that he's a cock, then take his name and email a complaint to Bethesda with it as an example of their employees alienating their gamer base.

As for conventions, The Darkness II representatives were quite friendly actually, and even recognised my Francis (L4D) cosplay from the off ^_^.

OT:
For the poll... For me, I prefer PC. All it really comes down to though, is do you want two semi sensitive control mediums (controller sticks), or one fixed and one hyper sensitive one (wasd + mouse). Oh, and the amount of separate controls/graphics for the really high end people.

There are some games that work better on console, but the only one I've liked so far that validates any requirement for consoles, or a console controller is Assassins Creed.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
wow some people here (this site) are very forgetful. In one thread they will say about how you cant say "skyrim is better than MW3" and someone's opinion cant be wrong.
But then 5 minuets later they are having an opinionated argument about how the PC is better than the consoles, and anyone who thinks other wise is a fool.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Curiously I heard a completely opposite statement yesterday from my friend

Why didn't they release Rayman Origins for PC? I'd get it for console but its such a bother playing it on it...
the times they are a'changing i guess...

Mooboo Magoo

Aug 22, 2011
I voted that PC gaming is superior for the sole fact that anything a console can do a PC can do better. A controller is needed in some games but that is what USB ports are for.

The ONLY thing that is good about console games is that you get a helluva lot more impressive graphics on crappy hardware then you do with a PC simply because the developers know exactly what they are working with and can push it to the absolute limits. This also results in less bugs and more stable games because there are less variables.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Private Custard said:
[
The other day, I was comparing Crysis 2 on the PC to the 360 version. I couldn't believe the difference. The 360 version looked like Minecraft in comparison!
Crysis 2 just looks real on my PC
It makes me want to cry from it's beauty.

I think people will listen to this argument more when consoles get a decent control system and catch up with PC graphics and physics. Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on consoles I own an xbox, but it's kind of a fact.

I even bought a second copy of Mass Effect 2 on PC because the controls were horrendous on xbox

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
"Bobby your about to get double teamed for saying battle field is gay it looks like a pc game and it doesn't have a story line to it like modern warfare" on it's own is perhaps one of the more idiotic comments so I will call a troll on this topic.

u mad?
Edit: Potatoes all the way.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
I don't think pc game is dying at all, there seem to be more pc games than ever.

I remember a time when you had to leave your house and go to an arcade to get access to the latest and greatest games, no console or pc could compare.

don't forget, all these console games are made with pc's. That is to say, pc's are the tools w/which video games are made, console or otherwise.

I have a ps3 and i like it just because i can access games that license agreements restrict to console (valkyria chronicles, disgaea series, etc..). But only on my pc do i have things like dwarf fortress and dungeon crawl stone soup, league of legends and its like, tons of user made mods for games that are built for such, etc... And where do many developers come from? Many start out as modders or indie game makers on the pc. They often don't become evil until they sign w/ubisoft or EA buys them.

ubisoft recently poo poo'd pc gaming and said its gonna go console only. But remember, ubisoft is a publisher.

I see it like netflix. Netflix comes along and changes the way customers see and prefer to watch movies. Rather than go along w/the change, companies like blockbuster video decide to try and lobby and make services like netflix illegal, try to make customers who use services like netflix into criminals. Rather than adapt, they try and force the consumers to remain *their* consumers, whether they want to or not, so they can keep the gravy train going. Rather than compete w/netflix, they try and get legislators to make netflix go away. Blockbuster paid the price for not adapting. In this instance at least, innovation won, innovation was allowed for and protected by law (and its an ongoing struggle we see in many industries w/often much less pleasant results).

Anyways, like blockbuster video, ubisoft has a case of sour grapes, they get someone like Steam to come along and introduce a better way to sell games that customers prefer, and rather than adapt, they take their ball and go home to the one place their way of doing things still works, the consoles - sort of (even consoles are increasingly involved w/digital downloading). So valve isn't selling their games via ubisoft since they own steam, stardock made impulse so they weren't, now there's even origin, and lets not forget d2d, matrix games, gog, etc... and steam lets indy developers sell on steam even now, so who in their right mind would get ubisoft to sell their game for them on the pc in today's world? I think they left pc because they had no choice. Who wants a bloated publisher that has more employees than sense take a giant cut in order to get shelf space, and create a physical product to create and ship and put on that shelf, when instead they can just-say-no to told style expensive publishing and they can digitally distribute in a world where more and more customers are buying their games digitally.

Old style publishers are dying, and rather than adapt, like steam/impulse/d2d/origin/etc... they are increasingly putting their eggs into 1 basket - the consoles. A last ditch effort to survive. For now, it'll work, but as i said, even consoles are getting into digital distrubution more and more. Even w/consoles, I can make a game and sell it through psn, why let ubisoft take a cut, why let them take a piece of my pie.

I don't know if ubisoft is public, but if it is, i'd get away from its stock.

The Woolly One

Nov 25, 2010
On the one hand, the PC clearly has better graphics, more precise controls (although I personally prefer a controller for everything except RTS games), modding capabilities, arguably better communities and cheaper games.

On the other hand, DRM is more intrusive on the PC, things like Origin have to be put up with and constant shoddy 'console ports' where the consoles get games specifically developed for them. there are some games developed with the PC in mind - Starcraft II, the Witcher 2, Battlefield 3 - but these seem to be the exception instead of the rule.

I'm personally happy with my Xbox. I paid £200 4 or 5 years ago and games are still coming out with better and better graphics. They may not rival the top end PCs, but BF3 still looks pretty damn good on the Xbox and I haven't paid a penny to upgrade my hardware in almost half a decade. No PC that cost £200 5 years ago is going to be able to run BF3 as well as my Xbox can.

PC is the superior platform if you pay for it. Pay for a good PC and the right games and you have an unbeatable experience. Pay for a mid-end PC and the negatives would, I think, start to outweigh the positives. The amount of DRM stuff you guys seem to have to put with seriously puts me off. Needing things like Origin to play BF3 or ME3? No thanks. And chances are Origin will pave the way for other developers to make their own versions. I don't want to download multiple programs to have to play the games I've paid for.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i see them as equal. sure, a good pc is way stronger and perform better then a console. but to get a pc like that, you have to pay much for it and then you must still support it. if you buy a console you are clear for 5 years atleast. if we are talking about controls, then it depends on the game. i like to play shooters and action games on my console, while i love RTS and rpg's on my pc. sure you can buy a controller for a pc, but that means you are buying something, because your system has a flaw.

at the end of the day, what does it matter? so long we can play amazing games on the way we like, i don't see a problem.

joshperry94

Oct 23, 2011
It's all about personal preferance! People who say PS3 is better than Xbox, or Pc is better than PS3 are all morons... At the end of the day, the ideal platform to play on is interpreted by the individual player. Basically, they're all the same! Yes PC's can have better graphics, yes Xbox's have a more thoroughly built community and yes PS3's are probably cheaper in the long run, but none of them are better than one another!

Except Wii... but you dont need me to tell you that.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Mooboo Magoo said:
I voted that PC gaming is superior for the sole fact that anything a console can do a PC can do better. A controller is needed in some games but that is what USB ports are for.

The ONLY thing that is good about console games is that you get a helluva lot more impressive graphics on crappy hardware then you do with a PC simply because the developers know exactly what they are working with and can push it to the absolute limits. This also results in less bugs and more stable games because there are less variables.
That, and the fact that a console is relatively "plug and play" and you can sit on your couch and use the TV, are the sole reasons that the console platform even has a leg to stand on vs PC... however that's a damn big leg so far as the average person is concerned.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
blackdwarf said:
at the end of the day, what does it matter? so long we can play amazing games on the way we like, i don't see a problem.
But what if we can't?

Im referring to the dreaded console exclusives. I'd love to play Alan Wake for example but would like to play it on PC. Or I Am Alive the upcoming survival game, would love it on PC. Gears would love it on PC, Uncharted, would love it on PC, Killzone would love it on PC. etc. etc. etc.

There is a multitude of games I will never play not because I don't want to but because I cant.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
adamtm said:
blackdwarf said:
But what if we can't?

Im referring to the dreaded console exclusives. I'd love to play Alan Wake for example but would like to play it on PC. Or I Am Alive the upcoming survival game, would love it on PC. Gears would love it on PC, Uncharted, would love it on PC, Killzone would love it on PC. etc. etc. etc.

There is a multitude of games I will never play not because I don't want to but because I cant.
that is marketing. so long gaming won't happen on one unified console, there always be exclusives. i know it sucks. there are enough games on the wii and ps3 i want to play, but they just don't justify buying a console for it.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
blackdwarf said:
adamtm said:
blackdwarf said:
But what if we can't?

that is marketing. so long gaming won't happen on one unified console, there always be exclusives. i know it sucks. there are enough games on the wii and ps3 i want to play, but they just don't justify buying a console for it.
Isn't PC the unified console?
I mean thats what it essentially is. No company directly has any stake in the hardware, there are no licensing fees, the OS is open and non-proprietary, etc.

Additionally, EVERYONE has one.

Marketing baffles me.

I remember a thread on here some time ago where we had over 1000 people participating in a poll of the question "Would you pay 200$ (or equivalent price for the given console) for an -official- Xbox/PS3/Wii emulator for the PC" where 90% said -yes-.

Tourmeta

Apr 25, 2011
I think PC gaming is ok, but I prefer to just buy a console and have it all done. Consoles get most of the games available anyways.

Depends.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
" HURR DURR I am a true gamer because I play on the PC!! DURR HURR I am superior to you because what I like is better that what you like HURR DURR"

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Golan Trevize said:
Even the PC has it's own exclusives, Terraria and Torchlight among others. No platform by itself is a safe choice when it comes to games, it depends on what do you want to play and how much money can you invest in this hobby.
Except everyone owns a PC anyways and Terraria and Torchlight will run on everything north of my calculator-watch.
The point im making is that consoles are specialized "uncommon" hardware I need to buy, with a PC, I already own one, everyone owns one, my dog owns one.

Proliferation of PCs in households was like 73% in 2003 (I cant believe its anything less than 90% today) and according to CENSUS 76% of people have internet access at home (developed world).

In europe its even higher where the European Parliament declared (in 2009) internet access as one of the basic rights just like water and electricity.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
adamtm said:
blackdwarf said:
adamtm said:
blackdwarf said:
But what if we can't?

Isn't PC the unified console?
I mean thats what it essentially is. No company directly has any stake in the hardware, there are no licensing fees, the OS is open and non-proprietary, etc.

Additionally, EVERYONE has one.

Marketing baffles me.

I remember a thread on here some time ago where we had over 1000 people participating in a poll of the question "Would you pay 200$ (or equivalent price for the given console) for an -official- Xbox/PS3/Wii emulator for the PC" where 90% said -yes-.

that is true. but pc is not really that interresting because you can't be sure that every pc onwer has one up tp spec and you also have the problems with piracy. most exclusives for the pc are indie games that are sold through steam.