Poll: Am I a bad person to use Emulators?

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
You're bad and you should feel bad.

OT: No, I wouldn't call you bad. Some games are just really hard to get nowadays, and as such, I won't hate on people who use an emulator. Me, however, prefer to play the game on the original console...

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
If you can't buy the game in a reasonable manner than I'd say yes it's okay. I would not be for using emulators on the 2 most recent generations of games, but before that, and where you can only get it used from a third party, so it's not like you're taking any money from the developers/publishers by doing that. However, if you have like a Wii and you can get the game on Virtual Console or some similar situation, then yes you should NOT be getting a free emulated copy of the game.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I say, if you can only buy it used, go for it. If the producer isn't making it anymore, then there is no way they are going to get money from it, so you may as well get an emulator for convenience. If you can buy it new, you really should, but I buy used so I'm a giant hypocrite. At least if you buy used, conservation of game is held (there are still N copies of the game out there, not N+1 now), but really, it's no different than an emulator because you weren't buying the game from the creators anyway.

SnowBurst

Jul 2, 2012
emulators keep old games alive its a good thing especially if you have tht megaman game but it doesnt work its legal if you have the game dont think it is if u dont but really old games like doom are free anyway in some shape or form hell bethesda released daggerfall and arena free

SnowBurst

Jul 2, 2012
also you wont be able to emulate a 360 or a ps3 for at least 5-10 years because people fail to see the pc has to run the os and its processes AND the emulator for the console which takes up alot

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
If the game isn't being sold anymore- and the original makers no longer getting any money off it, it should be fine.

If it was never made available in your region for your hardware and thus was never available in the first place, it should be fine.

If you already own the game, it should be fine.

I don't see any issue with what you're doing. Relax!

Defenestra

Apr 16, 2009
Really hard to get worked up against using an emulator to play games you cannot otherwise obtain. I mean, you could probably hunt down a functional unit of an older console, with no way of knowing that it would stay that way for any great length of time, and scour eBay for the game you wanted, but if the people who would normally get money if you bought a new game don't see any of it, they have no business complaining.

iamjonah

Feb 19, 2010
Dang, now I wish I held onto that copy of Earthbound longer.
I sold it about 5 years ago when they were only going for a little over $100.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
I emulate tons of games. I have an entire folder directory for my ROMs and ISOs.
Of course, they're entirely games that aren't sold anymore and haven't been sold since at the very latest, the early 2000s. I've tried to find many of these games on eBay, but they cost anywhere up to £300. And I'm not paying that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rob_simple said:
Oh alright, so if I invent the cure for cancer, it's cool for me to keep it to myself because I've arbitrarily decided that no one should have it but me?
You're seriously going to compare life and death to luxury entertainment? By that logic, I might as well advocate looting your place because you're selfish enough not to share things that might give pleasure to others.

But I won't, because you should have rights, even if they are selfish. Of course, if you're sitting on a cure for cancer, we'll have to have a chat.

I am curious, though the equivalence is laughable, do you think we should raid pharmaceutical companies? They charge prohibitive amounts for many cures and treatments that would benefit a lot more people than vidya gaemz, and on a much more serious level, to boot.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Well hmm... If it's a game that isn't available anywhere anymore, then no. I don't think it's a bad thing to share the classics of gaming when they are so old and outdated that the owner no longer makes it available for purchase anywhere. I've searched for weeks after my first ever gaming experience, before I eventually caved in and downloaded a torrent of it. My copy of the game has long since been lost, I have absolutely no idea where it could be and I'm sure I'll never find it again.

It's a bit strange to me that the big companies have not tried to contest this in any way. The PS3 online store for example, should be PACKED with PS1 and 2 titles. Absolutely packed, and for reasonable prices of course (they are old after all). Why on earth are they not?! I don't see why they wouldn't release their own licensed emulators for PC, with a large games library available for purchase.

It would be awesome being able to sit down and enjoy my favorite PS1 and PS2 games without having to dust off the old machine in a box somewhere, set it all up, struggle to find all the cables only to learn the x button on the controller is broken and a game disc riddled with cuts and scrapes from any years of faithful use.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
rob_simple said:
Oh alright, so if I invent the cure for cancer, it's cool for me to keep it to myself because I've arbitrarily decided that no one should have it but me?
You're seriously going to compare life and death to luxury entertainment? By that logic, I might as well advocate looting your place because you're selfish enough not to share things that might give pleasure to others.

But I won't, because you should have rights, even if they are selfish. Of course, if you're sitting on a cure for cancer, we'll have to have a chat.

I am curious, though the equivalence is laughable, do you think we should raid pharmaceutical companies? They charge prohibitive amounts for many cures and treatments that would benefit a lot more people than vidya gaemz, and on a much more serious level, to boot.
Yeah, kind of different there, chief: pharmaceutical companies charge those prices to recoup the millions they pour into R+D necessary to make these products, as well as develop others. After ten or so years the products are able to be developed by other companies and can become available to all (depending on how the health service works, in your country.) While it is a harsh reality that not everyone will be able to afford the initial price of the treatment, it's a necessary evil if companies are to continue working on cures.

What we are discussing already exists, has been profited from and, in fact, could be profited from in the future if they were made available for sale again. Your comparison of robbing me is utterly idiotic because you're talking about forcefully removing goods from a single person's property that they have paid for themselves (I'm pretty sure that the people who worked on these games were paid wages, rather than paying the company to let them make games.) What most people here are championing isn't that it's alright to steal but that they would gladly pay money if the product was made available to them; nevermind the fact that the money would, most likely, never make it to the hands of the actual creators of the games.

So yes I am sticking with the comparison. This would be different if we were talking about someone's personal work that they have created in private then chosen to keep to themselves. We're not: we are talking about art that has been shared with the world but which you think people should be allowed to remove from the public domain for no reason other than they feel like it.

Since you don't like my cancer comparison, here's a more apt one: By your logic, whoever currently owns the Mona Lisa (not its creator) should be able to have all images of it pulled from the internet, stores, books, postcards and absolutely any other place where it has been reproduced; even hanging a curtain over it in the Louvre (pretty sure that's where it is) and not letting anyone ever see it again.

We have a name for that: it's called censorship.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
If there are no viable avenues to playing a game, I tend to believe it's justified. And I've re-bought alot of my old favorite classics over EBay or in old shops.
But on rare rare rare occasions I have found myself hankering for old school with no way to retrieve the game in question (I'm talking like full nights of browsing)other than through alternative means.

Aaand Emulators also play fan-games and hacks which are genuinely creative so... Hurray Emulators.

Captcha: Goody two shoe

See even captcha knows what I am. There are times when Emulation is the only route. And it's not good to let classics die just because you can't ever play them again, If you can there's a small spark of hope that one day the IP might get dug up by future generations and say 'hey this was a good thing!'.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rob_simple said:
Yeah, kind of different there, chief:
It's always different, sweetie.

After ten or so years the products are able to be developed by other companies and can become available to all (depending on how the health service works, in your country.)
Yes, it varies by region, and that's a very important thing here. And that actually relates to the video game argument you were putting forth. Huh. Yuor own argument of how its different relates to how it's the same.

While it is a harsh reality that not everyone will be able to afford the initial price of the treatment, it's a necessary evil if companies are to continue working on cures.
Actually, if you look at a lot of countries, that cost issue is a clear lie and so is the necessity. But the thing is, in other countries, those prices may not come down even after the patents are up. And so your argument of a short term prohibition again fails in many regions.

What we are discussing already exists, has been profited from and, in fact, could be profited from in the future if they were made available for sale again.
If they wished to incur further cost as well, which may not benefit them. Either way, it is their right and their choice.

Your comparison of robbing me is utterly idiotic because you're talking about forcefully removing goods from a single person's property that they have paid for themselves (I'm pretty sure that the people who worked on these games were paid wages, rather than paying the company to let them make games.)
You opened the door for that with your ridiculous comparison. I merely said "okay, if you're going down that path (which yuo have admitted is idiotic), then...."

What most people here are championing isn't that it's alright to steal but that they would gladly pay money if the product was made available to them; nevermind the fact that the money would, most likely, never make it to the hands of the actual creators of the games.
And my point is about violating rights, not stealing specifically. To which you said, basically, "fuck that."

We're not: we are talking about art that has been shared with the world but which you think people should be allowed to remove from the public domain for no reason other than they feel like it.
It was never in public domain, so they're not removing it. If you don't understand the argument, don't assume.

By your logic, whoever currently owns the Mona Lisa (not its creator) should be able to have all images of it pulled from the internet, stores, books, postcards and absolutely any other place where it has been reproduced; even hanging a curtain over it in the Louvre (pretty sure that's where it is) and not letting anyone ever see it again.
Actually, no. By my logic, the work (which is no longer copyrighted and actually belongs to the public domain, whether explicitly or in its de facto state) can be copied freely in any format someone sees fit so long as it does not (edited to correct) infringe on the owner of the property's rights (for example, intruding on the site where it is held at the time, actually taking it, etc).

Physical rights and intellectual rights are not the same thing. I'm sorry you do not understand that and assume a hole in my logic that only exists from the limited perspective of someone who does not understand property and intellectual property rights.

We have a name for that: it's called censorship.
Censorship means a lot of things. But since nobody's actually promoting censorship here, that's kind of a moot point. Perhaps you would like to accuse me of political correctness, too. Or maybe voter fraud or witness tampering, while you're at it. Maybe you could call me a fascist for disagreeing with you.

Or maybe we could stick to the issue at hand. I'm game.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Or maybe we could stick to the issue at hand. I'm game.
Or maybe we could just leave it, as we're clearly never going to change the other's mind, and continue to live our lives in a way that is true to ourselves; regardless of whether or not it always falls within the confines of the law.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Emulation is only "ok" if you create the rom yourself, it isn't enough to merely own a copy. You're stealing people's work. If you don't care, thats fine, but don't steal stuff and then try to make yourself feel good about it.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I'd say it's hard to feel guilty to want something that's unavailable. I mean if they won't sell it to you then they clearly don't want your money so you might as well take it. It all comes back to the argument of "lost sales".