Poll: An offer: $2.5 million for literally everything you own

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Shit yes, I would give everything away in an instant. $2.5 mil cash in hand? I would bank all that on the spot and live off the interest! That's $100K+ a year for doing nothing.
Then maybe I'd invest in some properties, do them up a bit, sell them back for way more, play the real estate game to keep myself occupied between the overseas trips and girls (or girl :p).

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Yes, because I am not sentimental about objects, and pretty much everything I have I could easily obtain with 2.5 million anyway. I assume for the sake of argument that I am able to remove all personal data from my phone and PC to stop them getting my passwords etc.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
No. I have some things of sentimental value, but mainly it'd be more trouble than it's worth after buying another house and stocking it with all the sundry necessities. Maybe if I had more time I'd accept. If you hadn't excluded pets my "no' would be resounding.

felbot

May 11, 2011
never, it may be silly but my plush monkey is worth far more to me than 2.5 million.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
After making a detailed list of everything I have to re-buy I'd do it in a heartbeat. I reckon I'd make about 2.48 million in profit. Preeeetty good deal.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Wait, I'm eating a taco? This scenario doesn't seem realistic.

And straight up yes. I have material gain, I own sentimental things but sentimental things is attaching emotional importance to things that are going to crumble into dust and will eventually be cold lifeless nothings in an uncaring universe. I've still got my head and the memories and emotions in my head. I'm lucky enough that most of my family is still alive, so I can just forge new stuff if required.

And above all that, this is a huge chance to do good without actually requiring any effort, or at least, the effort it requires is unreal enough that I can accept before my mind shuts me down. I could replace everything and more for $500 000 (If I had a house I'd need a little more I guess) and then for $2 000 000 dollars I could give the 25 000 people who will die of starvation today enough food to let them have another 40 days of life. Everything single darn person who was destined to die of starvation today. I could pick a day and choose to have no-one die of hunger on that day.

Family photos? Yeah I'd give that up.

(Also this is an approximation of the meaning of the line
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple."
In the bible. You can't let personal attachments to stuff and people drown out the most important things. It's right to love your family (Honour your mother and father is a commandment even) but love your family at the expense of 25 000 people? It's impossible hard but that's because humans suck at being good people a lot of the time. I'd still like to try it)

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I own nothing of sentimental value, als monetery value of all my stuff combined 'might' be 300K, I'll gladly make the change.

Grant Stackhouse

Dec 31, 2011
I'm moving in a few days, so I've pretty much given away or sold everything that I own, save for this pc and my clothes. Sure, I'd take the money. With it, I could build an even better pc...and pay the neighbors not to care about me being naked.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
2.5 Million? I'd sell it to you for 2.5K! The most expensive thing I own is what I'm typing this on right now.

Feb 22, 2009
I accept on the condition that I can keep my personal files on a pen drive.

Cos in terms of stuff I actually paid money for, two and a half million is wayyyyyyyy more than what I own.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I own neither my apartment or my car, and while there are a few things of sentimental value I'd prefer not to get rid off it would allow me to do a lot more stuff overall, so probably yes.

QuartzQuadreant

Sep 14, 2012
All the things I own are likely worth more than $2.5 million, to be honest. Even if it isn't, I don't think that would be enough to get me to sell everything. Now, up the offer to ten million and we'll talk. It's a more psychologically satisfying number - and with that much I can buy a tank and get my stuff back.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
Absolutely my possessions equal like $5,000. I have little sentimental value for anything I currently own or ever owned before. Sign me up.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Immediately done. Never eaten a taco in my life, but there's a first time for everything. Let's get this money rolling.