Poll: Anyone else getting tired of zombies?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I disagree OP with the Necromorphs not being scary. I found both Deadspace games to be scary in many ways not just the jump scares but the overall tension of being trapped on a space ship with no real means of escape. I felt the first one captured the claustrophobia of the first Resident Evil. While the second game really drove home for the first time (I think) true reactions by the protagonist.

Just about every line said in Deadspace 2 I found myself saying just before he did. And the game was terrifying.

Are zombies overdone? Maybe but maybe if people limited themselves to the games they played/movies watched it'd be less annoying to them.

greatcheezer2021

Oct 18, 2011
i can relate to how "zombies" have been getting all the spotlight. so lets change it up.

the next thing we need is beings that can mimic your appearance, intelligence and primal hostility. appearance effective as the Thing, intelligence limited to as much as a terminator, and primal hostility like the infected in the 28 series.

or bring back alien invaders like in half life. or eldritch creatures. or bring back nazis.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
NOPE

*pew pew pew*
Die you undead bastards!!

I want a good zombie game to come around before the craze ends, I saw some interesting ones where survival is actually the goal, yeah they could add a story but I want the driving force to be pure fear and the players desire to survive.

But they didn't have much of a budget, so its not exactly there.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
We could always go back to the period from 1991 to 2002 where there was practically nothing to be had in the way of zombies.

Don't take it for granted because you will miss them.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
One of the only zombie related thing I'm really wanting to see is Sonny 3.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Snotnarok said:
I disagree OP with the Necromorphs not being scary. I found both Deadspace games to be scary in many ways not just the jump scares but the overall tension of being trapped on a space ship with no real means of escape. I felt the first one captured the claustrophobia of the first Resident Evil. While the second game really drove home for the first time (I think) true reactions by the protagonist.

Just about every line said in Deadspace 2 I found myself saying just before he did. And the game was terrifying.

Are zombies overdone? Maybe but maybe if people limited themselves to the games they played/movies watched it'd be less annoying to them.
interesting I didnt really find Dead space "scary" (I love them anway)

though I did find it "frantic" when they keep coming and you run out of ammo but never "scary"

anyway no, Im not sick of zombies because anything zombie related that doenst interest me I ignore

also I dont think the necromorphs are "zombies" they serve a similar function true but arnt the same thing

Trull

Nov 12, 2010
I think it's obvious that zombies are a good seller because there's no other enemy that can be used in masses. Killing all them zombies. Aw, man.

It would be refreshing to play a game w/o zombies...

BUT I LOVE ZOMBIES

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
Zombies are interesting when you are not focusing on them. The show 'The Walking Dead' places emphasis on how do people survive physically and mentally in such a situation. It is the social experiment of what happens when society crumbles and you have to live in constant fear of being killed by zombies that could have been your best friend. The sense of futility and how people find meaning in life then is fascinating. Just another action star or game hero killing zombies is boring. Actually, I have always found monsters to be far less interesting than the mental struggles of the characters which is why I was a huge silent hill fan and I didn't care about resident evil series. I loved 'Let the Right one In' and couldn't stand to sit through any of the Blade movies. I would love like a 'Interview with the vampire game' where you are a vampire but struggle with that fact.

I'm actually sick of vampiles or whatever, the ultimate mary sues of the monster realm. Look at me, I'm half person and half vampire so that means I'm overpowered, super cool, and have next to no drawbacks. YAWN.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I like zombies when they are, you know, the dead that have come back from the grave into the world of the living via magical, supernatural or completely unknown means - none of this infection shit. So if you mean Resident Evil/28 Weeks Later esque zombies, then yes.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
nikki191 said:
Target audience has nothing to do with it, I'm afraid. Look at shows like My Little Pony, Harry Potter and, hell, even Spongebob. What's THEIR target audiences? And how many adults watch and enjoy them? And for that matter, how many adults read/watch and enjoy Twilight? Who a story was written for doesn't mean that only that group is supposed to read/watch and enjoy it, criticism can therefor be leveled from anyone. You say "Well it's written for teenage girls so they're the only ones who are supposed to like it." That'd be a valid argument in this context if indeed only teenage girls read the books or watched the movies.

But I'd argue that the books weren't written specifically for teenage girls, they were written for teenage girls, older women, and anyone else who has fantasies about vampires. My argument is that you can't take away a vampire's aversion to sunlight and replace it with glittering pixie dust and expect people to still think of that creature as being a vampire. It's not a new spin on things, it's a bastardization. The only hook that Twilight has is "human girl in a love triangle with a vampire and a werewolf". Take away the "vampire and werewolf" and it'd just be another lame highschool romance about one girl being fought over by two guys...the only reason these books are popular is because it plays upon the desire to be so special that supernatural beings are fighting for your love.

And I'm not faulting the author for using that desire to sell her story. I'm just saying that if the entire purpose of your story lies with those supernatural beings, the least you can do is write them correctly. I understand putting a new creative touch on traditional characters, changing them in ways that make them different from the norm. But that only applies if you maintain the core of those characters. Is it unheard of for a vampire to fall in love with a human? No. Do we need all vampires to be smooth talking, cape-wearing masterminds? No. Do we need all vampires to have hearts of darkness with an irresistible hunger for human flesh? No. Vampires have seen many incarnations over many different stories...one thing has always held constant though: sun = death, not glittering pixie dust.

That's really all my argument boils down to. I really don't mind taking creative indulgences with vampires. They're fictional characters and as such they can be anything you want them to be. But with each change you implement the character becomes less of the thing you based it off of and more of a thing of your own creation. Would anyone like a story about a girl who falls in love with a guy who has super strength, super speed, and a glandular problem that makes him glitter in the sunlight? Perhaps...but it's much more appealing to just say "they're vampires" and get people intrigued...because vampires invoke a sense of mystery, sparkling pixie boys don't.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
If you're tired of zombies, you haven't been paying attention. It's not the zombie that is the real enemy, it's our own human nature. That's what zombie films should really be pointing out if they are done properly. It makes you think.

Anyway, i'd rather have even mediocre zombie movies then go back to the stretch from 1990-2002 where there weren't any major zombie productions during that time. I think they have found a place in the mainstream this time around, and likely will not be going away again.

Blake Louie

Jul 16, 2012
yeah i am tired of zombies i want something that you don't know what it is something new and fresh but also science fictional and it can wipe out life or the human race. May be there could be a movie or game about stem cell research gone wrong and the stem cells acts similar in a way to 'The Thing', necromorphs, or that thing from 'Splinter' (low budget but really good). One game idea i think could be a good one is the remake of the first 'The Thing' video game. Necromorphs any way in my opinion are better than zombies.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
I'll never get tired of the undead because zombies themselves don't tire. THAT'S HOW THEY CATCH YOU OFF-GUARD!

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Seems like every 5 minutes one of my buddies is talking about this cool new zombie game/show/movie/erotica/whatever.

I'm fine with zombies, but they could use a rest. Maybe go back to being one of an ensemble of villains and monsters rather than the default every-mook.