Poll: Anyone else getting tired of zombies?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Dystopia said:
Chairman Miaow said:
I'm tired of variant zombies. I want the good ol' shuffle squad back. All we get now is ouroboros monsters, running zombies, things like in dead space. I miss the good old shambling horde made of 500 bajillion enemies.
This right here is exactly how zombies are supposed to be.
I'm glad you agree. I can't even remember the last game like that.

EDIT: I would also like to point out to the OP: YOU ARE NEVER EVER EVER THE ONLY ONE.

Melondrupe

Jan 12, 2012
No. There's much development that can happen with them still in games. Or that's to say there exists no game that has done them right by me.

Fort Zombie
The Good
[p]The only 3D game I know of that involves going throughout town to find supplies such as food, medicine, tools and such. A game where your ammo supply is dependent on you going in search of it and your ability to shoot is determined by the attributes of your character. The latter mechanic is great given one usually doesn't have difficulty aiming at an enemy's head in most games; it takes after Mass Effect's aiming.[br] It creates a dynamic difference in conflicts for characters specializing in firearms and those in other areas such as construction; well dynamic in that the character untrained in firearms needs to be close to the zombie to shoot them. The ability to find allies and bring as many as you want (Only taken eight at most, so I'm not sure of the limit) with you is also a great feature. It's also the only game of this sort to involve base defense.[/p]

[p]Another thing enjoyable about this game, is that skill improvement through use of ability was done well. Nothing feels as if it was made into a skill just to add a skill that ultimately is a waste of time putting development into. Requiring a return to base and rest also does well in preventing a player from grinding skills. The skills are perfectly structured around the twelve day limit one has to prepare the base before a zombie horde arrives in town. One who focuses upon the skills of their specialty will be much more proficient than one who tries to be a master of everything; so that means one must rely on one's allies in order to accomplish anything significant. The randomly generated levels keeps the environment from seeming to familiar, despite the fact that all the buildings will become very familiar after one twelve day scenario.[/p]

The Bad
[p]However, the game suffers from poor ally AI, that can't be trusted to retreat on its own and also gets stuck behind objects often; the only recourse one has is only follow streets and wide alleys, leaving one's allies outside of buildings while the player goes inside by themselves. Melee combat is horrible even if one has high skill in its use. Using the same method for determining weapon accuracy as they did for guns was a mistake that makes resorting on the only that makes little to no sound unattractive. This problem is worsen with the fact that zombies rarely react when hit. Speaking of the zombies their attempts at adding variety only created enemies that prove to be little to no different at all from the regular zombie or just a plain nuisance.[/p]

[p]The idea behind the special zombies is understood to extend from the learning zombies in the later Romero flims; those zombies that retained residual memories from their past life. One is suggesting here that the footballer, nurse, doctor, cop and soldier offer nothing more than the ability to say that the zombies in game do more than bash and gnash. The bat-swinging and axe-bearing baseballer and fireman feel more organic to the gameplay's typical combat, than the footballer's tackles, doctor's reanimating of corpses and the soldier's heavy arms.[/p]

[p]Another issue with this game, is that it explains little to nothing of the mechanics beyond the beginning tutorial. There are certain items in game that confer bonuses unto those bearing them, however one could easily mistake them for cluttery due to the items not having a highlight that explains their purpose. One can build traps in this game, however it usually is a much better use of time to just build barricades. Particularly one's first time through the game.[/p]

Dead Island
[p]Of all the zombies games I've played, it has taken the best liberties with zombies. Not making zombies die instantly from headshots along with humans was a pleasant surprise. I particularly like their combination of zombie types: walker,runner, thug and ram(which is basically a bound running thug). They all feel perfect in their behaviors, a slight to no threat alone and yet highly dangerous starting from pairs and up. The other three types just felt tacked on to add variety; those being the suicider, floater and butcher. The humans, gunners and fighters, were much better enemies than those last three. The base stamina for characters also felt perfectly balanced in comparison with Fort Zombie, even with skill point adjustment. How characters swung weapons and the sense weight of heavier weapons was a spectacular addition.[/p]

[p]My only problem with the game was the skill tree, particularly the first or most left skill which just felt like they believed more variety was needed. So that has been ignored through all my playthroughs. The lack of silent ranged weapon was disappointing, although inclusion of a taser as seen in one of the DLC screenshots might be a sign of change.[/p]

Rebuild 2
Focuses upon expanding the safe zone, while maintaining the food supply of your group while pursuing several goals. The sending of one's fellow survivors out on missions is of particular interest, one definitely couldn't complete the game with one character. The randomly generated levels possesses the similar flaws and positives as Fort Zombie.

Other Mentions
The Last Stand: Union City
Goal oriented game with decent combat and environment exploration.
Zombies Took My Daughter
Same as above.
Days 2 Die: The Other Side
Zombie Frontier
Although I don't enjoy online games nor most games with a top-down view, the collection of supplies and the city layout was of great interest to me when it released.

Not Yet Released

Dead State
Collection of supplies and grid-based combat similar to X-com and Tactics Ogre.
Class 3
From the videos released, the boarding of windows and housing oneself in decayed buildings is really interesting.

I guess I can say the major reason I'm not tried of zombies is that I know what I want inside a zombie game and will ignore games that don't seem to offer something that would be an improvement upon it. So any game where one is just killing waves of zombies will be an instant no for me.

My ideal zombie game would combine the humans, the four good zombies types and the melee of Dead Island with the gunnery of Fort Zombie. Have an option between the goal orientation of Fort Zombie and Rebuild 2. And many more things that'd add challenge and variation to the game.

For games such as Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising, they always struck me as the best at what they do because their the only ones doing it. Left 4 Dead is focused on competitive gameplay, leaving the single player to appear as nothing more than an useless option meant to check out levels and not play for enjoyment. This problem was similarly ignored in the sequel. Dead Rising's appeal always seemed to be massive hordes and being able to use any you for combat. Upon seeing the previews and later buying it for a discount, telling myself it'd be mindless fun. I found myself feeling bored, something I guess I should've expected when I saw the previews for the first wave of 360 games and told myself that it was one of the dullest of the bunch.

I find that I shall be avoiding any sequels to these franchises. Dead Rising just because the tedium which pervaded the first and seems apparent in the continuation of the series. Left 4 Dead due to me having good and competent alternatives and being more interested in playing Natural Selection 2 when it arrives than going back to the series. Maybe their sequels can make playing them worth it. For what I know and don't know, they no longer offer anything to satisfy and keep me longing after them when they would become nostalgia.

Resident Evil like Left 4 Dead was good for its time only because there were no interesting alternatives. The only thing I find appealing about it, is what the games' Japanese title implies about the games' context. There is cheering for the return of "zombies" in Resident Evil 6 and all I can think is so. They were the common enemy type that was more a threat due to the games' controls than them being a credible hazard.(No, I'm not talking of the Crimson Heads). In truth, the lickers, hunters, tyrants and what else were much more interesting than the zombies in the games pre-Resident Evil 4. (If they changed zombie tactics in Code Veronica, let me know as I haven't played it yet) I personally saw nothing wrong with voodoo/ mind-controlled zombies, just the choke points involving them and the arcade-like dropping of items I could've done without. The appeal of Resident Evil for me was just the accidents and schemes that bred zombies along with regenerators and giant crocodiles.

Dead Space, why would anyone include the undead creatures as zombies. They are more reminiscent of the creatures from Doom(or any other shooter such as Painkiller).

The simplest answer: When someone creates a great zombie game, then maybe I'll want them less.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I find that it's impossible for me to be bored of an idea or theme, just that some themes I don't like from the start or that something becomes stale when everyone starts doing it. I know that seems contradictory but this is the best way I can put it: I would never get tired of left 4 dead, unless I played it for like ninety hours straight or something. But if I finish Left 4 dead I'm not going to suddenly start playing dead island because L4D is a zombie game, dead island is a zombie game, and L4D is a better zombie game.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
If they're used well, then no. I've been playing Rogue Survivor, a roguelike RPG that features zombies. The game is truly tense and exciting because while fighting zombies (there's easy to kill ones, but most are fairly hard to take down) you also have to compete with other survivors for food, weapons, medical supplies, and shelter.
That's a good way to handle things.

I am, however, tired of people going "We need to make something scary on a low budget. I know, zombies!", and the fact that every other independent movie is now a zombie movie with some terrible twist that makes it even less interesting. You could even make a drinking game out of it while browsing Netflix Instant movies.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Well, OP should be happy then that they weren't really in Skyrim like the way they were in Oblivion

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
No. I'm not a big fan of zombiegames, but I enjoy most zombiemovies out there. So I think that it has been too long since a zombiemovie was made in which the zombies were the actual villains. (BTW, if any of you know a few good ''under the radar'' zombiemovie, please)

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
I think I'm getting slightly worn out of zombies. Zombie games/movies just don't exite me as much as they used to. I'm still entertained by zombies though, and I don't think ill ever stop playing L4D2.

Epic's new game Fortnite has me anxious though. It's looking like it may be my dream zombie game.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Oh god yes. You know what the first thing I think of when I hear a game will be zombie-based? The developers saying "Fuck programming any decent AI, let's just use zombies: then we only have to make them move towards the player".

Although AI programming is dead in FPS or 3PS games anyway. It used to be something devs would boast about in previews but now... it just isn't a thing. Last games I can think of were FarCry 2 and Crysis, both of which were awesome.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I only got sick of Nazi Zombies when it started getting more complex. Perks? Fine. Upgradable weapons? Yeah, why not. Dogs? If you must. Gas zombies? Hell no. Pentagon thief? Hell no!

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Do do think Zombies are getting to be like the way Nazis were in the 1990s.

The question is what other "humanlike" mobs would be acceptable to have as enemies. The problem with a lot of games is that using humans as cannon fodder is that it turns the protagonist into a mass murderer (See Nathan Drake.) So I think we're stuck with Zombies for the time being.

But there are many types of Zombie.

There's the mindless shuffling undead al la 'Night of the Living Dead'.
The mindless, fast running virus host al la '28 Days Later'.

And these are the zombies we have become used to but there are many more types of zombie that haven't been so overused.

There's the possessed.
The Voodoo slave.
The intelligent dead.
The Frankenstein construct.
The deformed mutant.
The necrobionic construct.

I would say I've had enough of the mindless (fast or slow) zombies but I'd like to see more of the latter; possibly in some sort of proper 'Call of Cathulu' CRPG that the industry has systematically failed to make for decades.

The Cult of Trancendance is coming people.

Radiantskys

Mar 30, 2011
I was never really into zombies as all of my friends ranted and raved about how awesome they were. Then over the summer I saw the first season of Walking Dead and fell in love, so I must say I'm just now getting into zombies.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Yes, they just won't die. They always seem to come back in armies. It's like the zombies have infected everyone...

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
I'm tired of variant zombies. I want the good ol' shuffle squad back. All we get now is ouroboros monsters, running zombies, things like in dead space. I miss the good old shambling horde made of 500 bajillion enemies.
Same here. I'm glad Capcom is going back to basics with RE 6. Necromorphs and Plagas are annoying to fight, and runners are too easy to kill.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i wouldnt say im tired of them, but i would like something other than zombies but with similar aspects. mutants, maybe.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sorry, I'm from Pittsburgh. By law, zombies will tire of us first from us kicking their asses.

In all seriousness, though, zombies are still the instant win button for media these days. I suggested that people would pay to see the tale of Zombie Rocky Balboa, and my dad who doesn't even like zombies or science fiction or fantasy agreed with me. If I can make a stubborn man agree, I can say the same for people who DO like this stuff.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Sick of zombies? How could I be with this masterpiece coming to a theater near you!
Damn ninjad again...