Poll: Are Superhero Movies Coming To An End?

harknesssimm

Oct 19, 2008
I know this might sound like an odd question at the beginning of a year where so many superhero movies are coming out but...does anyone else get the feeling that we have gone past the peak of the superhero movie...uh...goodness? (for lack of a better word)

so here's my reasoning, in the year 2008 a little film came out called the dark knight, you might have heard of it. many have said that it is the best superhero movie ever made due to brilliant direction, acting, effects etc. but here's the problem, and many are right.

see since then we have had several good superhero movies: ironman 2, kickass, watchmen etc but none have recieved the attension they deserved (except kickass but that was more due to the 8 year old swearing and killing people than because it was a good movie) due to comparison to the dark knight.

the problem is the superhero movies coming don't seem to be anything special after the years of superhero movies that have proceeded them. thor and captain america have the advantage of being ambiguous to those of us who aren't into commics and may lack mainstream appeal, which in turn could damage the upcoming avengers movie as only ironman has had a good movie out of all the characters in the avengers.

this could all be wrong ofcorse, thor and cap. may be great films but with the green hornet, spiderman 3,the hulk films and the superman films being ,shall we say, less than good i cant say i have much hope for the future of superhero movies.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I think they're running out of ones to do.

I mean, even Iron Man is relatively obscure to a lot of people.

harknesssimm

Oct 19, 2008
Woodsey said:
I think they're running out of ones to do.

I mean, even Iron Man is relatively obscure to a lot of people.
i imagine they will make a wonderwoman movie and have another crack at the hulk and superman but the list of superheroes is definately finite.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
As i remeber, all your examples did pretty well. And as long as they make money we will see more.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
harknesssimm said:
i imagine they will make a wonderwoman movie and have another crack at the hulk and superman but the list of superheroes is definately finite.
Why would they do that, the Avengers film is being made, why would they reboot a character which has had two reboots in the last ten years already 2 years before a massive film is released featuring the character established in one of the prior reboots?
Fuck me thats a lot of reboots, that word has now just become a meaningless sound in my head

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
I guess everyone was trying to use The Dark Knight's succes to their advantage, and now it's novelty has worn out.
Just like the 100 CSI copies.

harknesssimm

Oct 19, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
harknesssimm said:
Why would they do that, the Avengers film is being made, why would they reboot a character which has had two reboots in the last ten years already 2 years before a massive film is released featuring the character established in one of the prior reboots?
Fuck me thats a lot of reboots, that word has now just become a meaningless sound in my head
becuase thats what they do, im not talking near future here i'm talking endgame, when there is nothing left to do.

Daemascus said:
As i remeber, all your examples did pretty well. And as long as they make money we will see more.
the problem is if the upcoming films arent good then superhero films will stop making money and studios will stop making them

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It pretty much the same with anime in the west, as long there are fan base or people to support/ demand it then the superheroes movies won't die just yet.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I reckon that they do still have a decent future, at least for the next five to ten years. After all, we still have The Dark Knight Rises coming out, and apparently (though I'm not certain) Nolan's wife, who's also in the industry and worked with him on things like Inception, is producing a new Superman movie soon. And we still have the new Marvel Cinematic Universe films, that's got quite a bit of life yet, and I personally like the idea of translating the format of comics (i.e. the shared universe) to films, something that hasn't often been done before, and rarely successfully (normal series of things don't count). No, I reckon there's plenty of life yet. People still like them, and some great ideas are starting to come along and some pretty ambitious stuff is being done with the medium, so they certainly won't die just yet.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Well to be honest i hope they move on to less mainstream superheros, less mainstream but not wierd. I'm glad Green Lantern is getting a movie.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
I think we need a break from them to be honest, most of them are really repetitive and similar. Or at least they should make more unique ones like Kick-Ass, which I really enjoyed.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Nah. Superhero movies just go through phases. Right now they're popular again, thanks to The Dark Knight. Need I remind you that there were a streak of terrible superhero movies in the '90s that people thought totally killed the genre. All it really took were Spiderman and X-Men to totally revive the genre.

Considering there are still plenty of most likely good superhero movies coming out in the next couple of years, I don't think we're at a low point in the superhero cycle.