Poll: Are the generation of kids getting worse and worse over time?

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
Hmm... I dunno if you'd call me a "kid" at 15, as I'm not sure how the American grade boundaries work, but with regard to these kid's "potty mouths," the way I see it, this is just the breaking of another social boundary. These words aren't bad, they are just words. And in fact, it means people need to use their heads to produce shock value these days, rather than just spouting a few cuss words.
With regard to the... promiscuity of these kids, this I agree is absolutely shocking. I'm in a happy relationship with my boyfriend, and I'm quite sure I love him, but we aren't ready to do that yet, you know? This is something I won't see compromise on. These kids shouldn't grow up not knowing what it means to be a lover, rather than just a one-night stand.
By disrespect, now this is a fairly popular thread, but if you get round to it, could you quote me and go into a little more detail before I judge?
KTHNXBAI

postblitz

May 5, 2009
anything you wish to burden upon children make note: they are the mirror in which the parents and their society reveals itself.
there is nothing inherently worse in kids these days, they're the same potential geniuses and kind souls they always could have been.

and just to be more annoying, for people who say the next generation is bad, i'll go ahead and quote the bible(because i can):

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
*Old man Voice* Damn Youngsters! With their Dubbing Step music and Gaga Ladies... No respect... Modern Warfare... *snores*

in all seriousness; No I don't think the generations of kids are getting "worse". They're just Different from our generation. And in any case, if they ARE getting worse, it's not because humanity slowly degrades genetically, it's because OUR generation can't seem to raise the kids well enough.
Or, maybe not OUR generation, but the ones like 10 years older than "us" having kids right now.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I spend a lot of time with kids, and I can say that it's hit or miss.

Though technically, almost all the kids I spend time with are either sick or dying, so they tend to be kinda sweet in my case.

It really just depends. I think with the technology and how easy life is, and how much harder adults tend to stress kids on the random simple things like school, they're growing into a new generation.

I see kids way to young on Xbox live and they are little miscreants. How the fuck is that acceptable parenting? I'm almost 19 years old and going to college yet I still live with my parents, and I'm still convinced they'd take away my Xbox if I bring home bad grades.

I think it's just that if you are a spoiled kid nowadays, you are a really spoiled kid.

Whyso

May 8, 2011
i remember some kind of theroy about this, the theory of idiocracy i think

basically with reduced mortality rates and more health care poorer and less intellegent people are able to have more kids than before.

i've also occasionally heard its bollocks

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Nope, they remain pretty much the same. "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers." Socrates.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
People just always like to complain about previous generations and cite a few negative experiences with them as evidence for their views.

Crime rates have significantly decreased in most Western countries (and probably in a lot of other places in the world as well) and the majority of people have a far more healthier lifestyle than, say, 50 years ago. Also, there is far less racism, far less sexism and far less poverty (at the moment the latter doesn't hold for the United States with its very high unemployment rates. But since most recessions are followed by a period of economic growth that will probably fix itself in a few years). I would actually say generations of kids are actually getting better over time, although pretty slowly.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Whyso said:
i remember some kind of theroy about this, the theory of idiocracy i think

basically with reduced mortality rates and more health care poorer and less intellegent people are able to have more kids than before.

i've also occasionally heard its bollocks
No, no, Idiocracy is when the society gets dumber and dumber because smart people don't have 10 illegitimate inbred kids, while the dumb hicks keep pumping out dumber and dumber kids who have worse education than the previous ones (spend money on 1-2 kids, then imagine spending on two or three times that amount - you either are Bill Gates or you gotta make one of the kids draw the short straw).

It also means that adults are getting dumber and dumber, not just kids.

Ubervelt

Aug 22, 2010
Well I know roughly 30 years ago my dad and his brother would get locked inside a blisteringly hot car every Sunday while my granddad played cricket. All they got to eat was a frozen meat pie, and they got the shit belted out of them for even looking at him wrong. In contrast my dad was great to me. He was still a tiny bit harsh, and I did get the crap beaten out of me, but I was an asshole so it was well deserved, but he meant well and loved me and my brother.

Myself on the other hand, I'm 25 and just had my second child. I would never dream of doing such things to them. Even if they screwed up big time, it's not the end of the world and I will always love them and respect them as if I was in their shoes and what would I think and do in those situations.

I guess what I'm saying is things were a lot stricter back then and you would not dare question your teacher or parents otherwise you would get the strap/cane or whatever you would get at school, then when you got home another round would be dealt from dads belt. This does not happen anywhere near as much these days which is why so many young kids and teenagers don't have as much respect for others as previous generations.

I for one blame the media. Look at the SHIT that gets put on TV and ads on the internet. This is what the kids are looking to as the normal way to act, and they get influenced by this garbage as they grow up. Also previous generations never had the technology we do today, so we can all see what everyone does in their daily lives on Facebook and such, so we can see more and more stupid things people say and do that we think it is the norm.

Don't believe me? Go read a few pages over at http://failbook.failblog.org/ and tell me the world is not getting more retarded by the second...

DMShade

Dec 6, 2007
I honestly think it's the changes in how kids are raised that have made them so intolerable. Nowadays when a kid has an issue, it's anyone's fault but theirs, or even worse, anyone's fault but theirs OR their parents'.

I find it best summed up in an old political cartoon I saw a while ago.
1991: Two parents shouting "These Grades are Terrible!" at their child.
2011: Two parents shouting "These Grades are Terrible!" at their child's teacher.

It takes a village to raise a child? That's just a saying. I have other things to do in the village, thanks. In past jobs, I and many friends have encountered the parent who ignores their child, child does something stupid, parent asks US why we weren't watching them.

Modern parents need to stop handing off responsibility for their children; for their safety, development and behaviour. Especially to strangers. While we entrust some of that to teachers and counselors, you can't be hands-off once they come in play.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Possibly. What we see as getting worse is a combination of the sexualization of young people and the removal of taboos that our parents wouldn't have crossed. It's a process that has been going on since forever, but we are coming to a point where there are fewer lines to cross, diet is poor and social divides are increasing, leading to elitism in schools. I think we are going to see more of a decline in intelligence and morals as we see them.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I think it is that you only see the annoying disrespectful ones only that the number in ways thy can be disrespectful and annoying has gone up.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
Here is a quote nearly 2500 years old:

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

The world has still not ended...

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Vault101 said:
nah....thats just human nature for you

though it does make you wonder....in the time we live in all this new information..EVERYTHING at your finger tips on demand..there is almost NO reason for kids (or me for that matter, unless I got out to get games) to go out side

they say that social awkwardness may become the new norm....
hmmm have you been reading cracked?

OT Ahh so now its this gens turn to be the old man saying "Back in my dayyyy"

Darby

Jul 21, 2010
From the brother of a 13-year old kid who swears about as much as he breathes, yes. They're much worse.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes and no, while I do agree parts of your opinions but at the end of day you only judging from your surrounding. In another word as the generation as a whole I don't think they're are getting worse. Your and my surrounding area of the kids there are only small when compare to the whole lots.