Poll: Are we getting dumber?

s0ap sudz

Aug 28, 2008
Hey Fellow Escapees,
I was just wondering, do you think humans are getting dumber? I mean, I'm 15 years old and due to a horrendously bad immune system, I am barely in school. But I work hard and study when I'm out, right now for example. Though when I'm in school, I can't help but notice the other kids in my Geometry class start dozing, not even bothering to do their work. As and adult, I want to become a priest because I am a very devout Catholic. So, because of this, I obviously won't be having any offspring. I just thought like I would add that information in just because I'm really concerned for my generation, and there doesn't seem to be much I can do because of my health. That means other people of my generation need to step up, I guess. I try my VERY hardest in school, though. So to cut to the chase, my question to you is: Are we getting dumber, if so, why?

Thanks guys, I just need some other opinions on the matter because I am nervous.

HOPEFULLY, this rambling makes sense....

Axiis

Dec 9, 2008
I don't think humanity is getting 'Dumber.' As much as I can say we just don't care too much anymore. I find myself facepalming a lot in my school at how utterly retarded kid's act, this includes actions and words. It leads me to the conclusion that more and more people are willing to do anything for some attention be it positive or negitive.

So it's not hat we're getting dumber, though I couldn't put it past quite a few people I've been in contact with. I just believe people are trying to attentionwhore in any way they can. Or just don't much care to do anything at all (The ones that sleep in class.) I mean. I fall asleep in my english class fairly often because of this book, it's incredibly boring 'cather in the rye' Teacher threw a copy of the book at me about a week ago.

Or, possibly we don't develop any drive to do something we aren't interested in... That's my case, though I'd like to believe I'm intellegent.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Well I am very intelligent, although I don't need to work hard because the UK education system is piss easy and I've already got 3 A levels and I'm barely 16, so that may bias my opinion, as to me nearly everyone I know is a dumb idiot, even my "friends" are not exceptionally great, but there nothing compared to the rest of the school who if viewed in the best possible light could be described as thick. Honestly I head a girl ask what "reencartinated" meant, she was talking about reincarnation I think, keep in mind this was after we had done a lesson all about views on the afterlife. So yeah are generation are getting dumber and dumber , on the plus side this means there's a lot more vacancies for good jobs as all the chavs will be forced to work in MacDonald's due to leaving school at 16

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
No. For however idiotic we may be, look back at the times when they very regularly believed faes were the answer to everything and a lynch mob wasn't exactly all that difficult. While you could argue that perhaps we care a little bit less about our education than when public schooling first started, we are hardly getting more idiotic. The younger generations tend to have a healthier respect for intelligence and a broader understanding of the world and the various sciences and mathematics than the older generations.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Its weird, when im outside and in town i see so many idiots and people doing the most stupid and foolish things. Working in a car park also doesnt help and i do find myself questioning how these people got licenses in the first place. However when im at college or on here i feel like a complete dumbass. I make careless mistakes in Physics and end up doing stupid things when im in a lesson. Maybe its something in the water.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
That's what I thought. But another thing I think, is that we aren't getting dumber, it's just like Axiis said. Our generation(I'm 15 as well) just doesn't care anymore. They don't care what they get, they only want money/drugs/and sex. They think that's all you need in this life now a days. Drugs, you don't need, they're just stupid. Sex is nice and all, but like you said, it's not for everyone. The only real thing we need is money, and to get that you. You need to be smart. People don't know that. They think if they're popular and have good looks they'll have money thrown at them. When it's really people like us(The Escapees) that get it in life because we're the smartest group there is.

So it's not that we're getting dumber, they're just starting to care less and less, because they think they can get anything from looking good and being popular, not knowledge.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
No, we just measure intelligence differently. If someone isn't suited to factual recall, they, according to our education system, are stupid.

videonerd250

May 8, 2008
I think that people are getting dumber, for reasons that have been stated before. Class material is getting more and more sophisticated, but less and less people care about it. There are still people who care about their education, but if they live in a city, chances are they're suffering from distractions made by the kids who don't care. I'm in college right now, and many people here, despite paying tens of thousands to be here, spend the first month drunk, and towards the end they only cut down to drinking and partying four nights a week.

EDIT: As soon as these people contribute to society what Einstein did, then I will admit to them being smart, chop off my fingers and bite my tongue off.

Helnurath

Nov 27, 2008
Everybody has several different types of intelligences, but not using your strongest ones to work/study can be considered dumb. I think our school system is only geared toward to a few of them, and thats why it seems that way.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Well I for one am not stuffing my head with all this crap to get dumber that's for sure. I think people are not as much getting dumber as they are getting more torn apart in educational differences. Those who do want to study and are rather adept to it, learn more and become more educated than any time before. The rest however, follow the path of the moron. They reach for nothing, they gain nothing and then they complain about their lives. Which is unfortunately the larger mass of the humanity. At least in the pirate age people who were like that fought for their lives while risking them to survive. Nowadays they're spineless little worms who can at best harass an old lady while being in a gang of 10 people. I think there's a very simple reason for this. When education was very difficult to get, everybody wanted it. But when it is actually shoved in their faces and just asked to take, they don't seem to care. I guess the moral of this story is that people are ungrateful bastards.

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
According to my teachers, we're way ahead in term of courses we're taking compared to them. We're taking classes they took in college in high school. So I think we're becoming more intelligent.

Then again, my friends and I are those kids that never need to study to get an A, so maybe I'm seeing only one side to this...

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
I actually do not believe that society is getting dumber. Quite simply, at this time in human history intelligence is not a trait which will agressivly procreate its own genetic existence.

For the most part, that's the way it usually works. Smart people are sort of kept on hand as a genetic back up "just in case". There's always enough smart people so that if the scales were to tilt and intelligent people became genetically dominant then there would be enough to shift society that way.

_daxter_

Jan 12, 2008
sorry, i don't get the question... o_O

*laughs his ass off*

anyway... i personally think, the world has become more complicated and the stakes in being dumb have become higher. so... actually i would say no... but relatively... yes. ;) maybe stupidity is just as many other things hyped by the media... :)))

Helnurath

Nov 27, 2008
ender214 said:
According to my teachers, we're way ahead in term of courses we're taking compared to them. We're taking classes they took in college in high school. So I think we're becoming more intelligent.

Then again, my friends and I are those kids that never need to study to get an A, so maybe I'm seeing only one side to this...
SHH! Dont reveal our secret!

Aug 30, 2008
intelligence is waning, but what seems to be hurting the most for "sake of progress" it seems that ignorance and non-tolerance is at an all time high. also with today's technological world people are losing common sense at an alarming rate.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
No, people are getting no dumber than they ever were.

The difference is now we live a world of instant global communications. We get exposed to every crackpot, act of violence, ignorance, stupidity and arrogance on the planet, whilst their numbers may not have increased relative to the population of earth, we hear about them more.