Poll: are we living in a dystopia?

mrpantsalot

Jun 13, 2009
Have you seen "Brazil", I mean many of the things that happen in that movie are happening today, so if you think about it we are closer to a semi-dystopia that you would think.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Are there piles of corpses outside the window that you call lunch?

Are there large groups of evil looking dogs prowlingthe area around you eating anything that moves?

Is the ground beneath your feet baked hard?

I could continue, but at the moment including all the doom and gloom the world is a pretty cheery place.

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
I would say thaat the fact that you are allowed to publically post that question prooves its probabally a no, there is also the fact that for you there is the probabally the possibility of working/charming/lucking your way out of any disstopia you are in

Zyxzy

Apr 16, 2009
I suppose those living in the more war-torn parts of Africa and the worst slums of the world are. Generally...not so much.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Its not a dystopia, far from a utopia its kind of like a grey world at the moment I would say, were all held into place with the current system nucklear stalemate, samey government, Political correctness but we can still definently move up and use the current system to our advantage and profit. Not to mention we are atleast as close to completley free on the internet as possible.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Spudgun Man said:
Are there piles of corpses outside the window that you call lunch?

Are there large groups of evil looking dogs prowlingthe area around you eating anything that moves?

Is the ground beneath your feet baked hard?

I could continue, but at the moment including all the doom and gloom the world is a pretty cheery place.
I gotta say, there aren't many -dystopias- like that at all. What you've got right there is a post apocalyptic world.

That said, a dystopia doesn't strictly speaking have to be an unhappy or evil place, it just has to a certain 'flaw' that qualifies it as such. For example, in Huxley's Brave New World, the people are generally healthy, hedonistic, and free from war. However, in such a world, free-thought and expression are stifled and people are place themselves into heavily defined classes.

In Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury reading is outlawed, and the masses are placated by television.

In addition dystopias rarely over-emphasise military force as being the deciding factor to creating the world in question, that is, while there may be mention of a war, or reaction to such that creates the dystopia, ala v for Vendetta. It's more usually presented as something that has occurred over time, or that the populace has just come to accept as the norm, or accepted as being for their own good.

woodwalker

Feb 1, 2009
In the US, I seriously think that the government is trying to make it a dystopia. Thomas Jefferson said something to the effect of the government that can give you everything you want, can take everything that you need.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Dystopian society is one characterized by human misery, be it from government oppression, disease, ect.

The United States? No. There are sections of Africa that come to mind though.

Mockingjay

Mar 3, 2009
Sort of I guess, if you have the opinion that we're all vessels for birthing children and we have little other purpose than continuing our species. So everything around us is slightly dystopian? you decide.

Jamess

Jun 9, 2008
Most things are flawed. In my mind anyways, but that's a matter of opinion. Nothing can be everyone's perfect world, some people love peace, some revel in chaos.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
We as a collective are not living in a dystopia. We as individuals have the ability to, and some are.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Global warming will unequivically make the world a dystopia unless people bring down their emissions enough to allow renewables to take over, and completely cut emissions, 100%. If that happens, the world MIGHT not go over 2 degrees celcius over pre-industrial revolution temperatures. Or you can just hope someone else will lead the way. Well, no one will. If you don't do it, no one will, and the world will become a dystopia. If the CO2 keeps coming out, there won't be anyone alive to know what that is.

Apr 24, 2008
Good morning blues said:
There is no line between "okay" and "dystopia." If you feel like the world oppresses you, you're living in a dystopia.
Pretty much this. If your username is a nod to Leadbelly, you're awesome.